Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tough being in Europe...

Default Re: Tough being in Europe...

Hey,

I understand. I decided to get back into playing the mandolin after a 10 year break. I waited until after we moved to Europe…from Western North Carolina. Not my smartest move. :-D I bought a used Michal Zita off a classified page on Czech bluegrass site. The Zita mandolin had impeccable fit and finish. The tone and volume was not quite up to the complexity of the Pava Pro that I have since traded it for. I played another Zita that I loved. The guy I bought mine from had upgraded to a glossy finish model. It had a solid chop and really good tone. I think the basic model is around €1200 new. Don't quote me on that though. :-D Here is Michal Zita's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mzmandolin/

I also just saw that he has one of classic models for sale on that classified page I mentioned for around $1800. Here's a link to the ad: http://www.bgcz.net/inzerce/hudebni_...-mandolina_f5/

By the way, I have no financial interest in any of this. I was just happy with my reasonably priced Czech mandolin from him. (I bought it used for around €750.

Prucha mandolins start at 1,500€ for the A5T. Is that out of your range?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've bought instruments at flea markets in Europe. Somewhat hit or miss selection-wise, but the price has always been right.

Strangely enough, one of the best places in Europe to seek out mandolins is the Cafe Classifieds. Quite an interesting range of instruments for sale in Europe pop up all the time - and since not TOO many people in the USA will be interested in buying from Europe, the chances of picking up a deal are quite good.

Blog Entries

Good luck! Know your frustrations./ Try them with the rand dollar which is now much better, so said, I am delighted having bought my mandola from the US when I was there, now it's done. I don't view any spent on it as a loss. Best and hope you find a mando soon.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Guys, thanks!

Lot of responses--I'm reading them all. Lot of work at the moment is all--which is why I'm not responding fast.

K

The Czech Republic has always been hot for bluegrass--Poland, not so much, although there are players around and a country scene that is growing year by year. I should probably jump down to the CR to take a look around. Years ago I bought a killer acoustic off of Mr. Furch--even went to his factory in Moravia to do it, but I heard he is not doing mandos for now.

K

Allen,

I need to get down to the CR--that's probably at the upper limit of what I want to do right now--I am starting a new biz and I also have always gigged a lot and my instruments sooner or later take a beating. I was thinking something along the lines of a decent Kentucky or Eastman... but... I've seen Prucha banjos... Incredible, actually. I would imagine is mandolins are too.

9. The following members say thank you to Konrad for this post:

If you do get down to the Czech Republic, keep your eyes open for a used Novotny. I had one several years ago, it was not expensive, a bit rough, but had a real good bluegrass tone, excellent for the price. A friend now has it, and is happy with it. I heard he is not building any more, but there were several that used his instruments about 15 years ago, and I know some of them have upgraded, so there might be one available.

Spencer

Konrad, I think I bought my mando there from a guy called Benjamin, very nice and forthcoming and he did a good set-up. I think his number is on the website, be sure to call ihm or one of the acoustic guys, because the have an "electric" shop as well across the street. ...
    I'll go there tomorrow, my mando needs some new strings. .. and.... hmmm let's see if those Eastmans have arrived. ... ☺
    Malin

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Konrad, I think I bought my mando there from a guy called Benjamin, very nice and forthcoming and he did a good set-up. I think his number is on the website, be sure to call ihm or one of the acoustic guys, because the have an "electric" shop as well across the street. ...
    I'll go there tomorrow, my mando needs some new strings. .. and.... hmmm let's see if those Eastmans have arrived. ... ☺
    Malin
    I'm talking about the American Guitar Shop in Berlin ☺

Hi Konrad,

I've been down the some road as you and after a lot of searching and discussing (and good advice here on the Cafe!) I ended up ordering a Krishot F5, built by the Czech luthier Eduard Kristufek. Built great a-styles also, check his site/fb-page.

But there're a lot of other options in the CR, before going there you can email them and ask if they if instrument on stock (some of them do, some don't), that's what I did. Another good Czech luthier is Vojtech Peceny, played some of his A-styles, good instruments, cheaper than Kristhot. You can always sent him a message (his site looks a bit out of date, but still works), he doesn't speak very much though, so it's a bit of a Google translate hassle...

Good luck!

Thanks guys--I've been traveling and working (a lot), but I appreciate all of the comments.

K