Thread: Fret Size

Default Fret Size

My mando is looking like it might be ready for some new frets. My frets are kind of big, much larger than traditional ones. I don't know much about the various kinds of frets that are available now. I'm thinking something smaller. What are your experiences with frets?

Default Re: Fret Size

My Eastman has small frets. It's setup well and has a radiused board. I'm happy with it, but will be going to a larger size once a refret is necessary. My dad has two nice mandos with huge wire, and they're both easier to play.

One of the benefits of large wire is they're capable of being dressed more than smaller frets. Might be an option for you to try smaller wire without a refret.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I use a standard size fret, some players like banjo frets on their mandolins, I would recommend looking into EVO alloy fret wire if you want to lengthen the time frame for your next re-fretting. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Going from large to smaller would be awkward unless the tang is the same [ or larger. ]

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

My 3 mandolins have very similarly sized fretwire on them. Bruce Weber told me that the fretwire they use is EVO FW 37080. The Gold version is EVO Gold FW37080. That's the one that's very durable indeed & lasts a long time before needing a re-fret,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Revisiting this thread as I'm about to fret a few boards. it seems like the general trend is to go with slightly wider wire... say standard Martin acoustic guitar size rather than the teeny mando/banjo wire: is this the case for most folks? I'm a guitarist and luthier, not a mando player. I love the EVO wire, which is what I'll probably be using... just wanted some feedback on the size to get. I just regretted a 1915 F2 with very small wire in keeping with the original frets, but they don't feel right in my hands (and must wear really fast!). Thanks in advance!

Karl

Playing with big wire is not for me, maybe if I took more time getting used to it. Had a new mandolin with larger wire and tried it a week and refretted with smaller wire. Could not get used to it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I don't use the way-high frets. But when I mess around up there past #12 I have noticed that the larger frets seem to be a liability. It is tough to get your finger tips in between the frets and get a good clean note. Easier with skinny frets. At least for me anyways.

10. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I have Evo Gold 37080 fitted to two mandolins. Beautiful to look at, easy to play - and lasts forever. That's the trifecta so far as I am concerned.

12. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I don't use the way-high frets. But when I mess around up there past #12 I have noticed that the larger frets seem to be a liability. It is tough to get your finger tips in between the frets and get a good clean note. Easier with skinny frets. At least for me anyways.
    I used to be with you on this, and the skinny wire just looks better too.... but having now tried EVO 38080 I think that's the way to go.

14. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I used to be with you on this, and the skinny wire just looks better too.... but having now tried EVO 38080 I think that's the way to go.
    The other thing that I find in favour of Evo 37080 is that, despite being visibly bigger than old-style fretwire, its profile makes it easier to perform slides on. The acoustic mandolin that I have without the Evo frets is a 1920 Gibson A2, whose tiny frets are much tougher to do slides on, probably because they aren't nearly so smooth and therefore not so gentle on the fingers.

16. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Had the slightly reddish Evo on a refret - fingerboard leveling job ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

18. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post: