Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAS has done me in

Well, my alvarez mando was damaged this weekend by a passer by at a b-day party we were having for my brother. It's fixable, but the first thought that popped into my brain was "well now I HAVE to get a new mando"--for backup, of course).. MAS has really sucked me in over the last month. I tell ya, reading in here on the cafe really just makes me drool.

So, I think my price range is around 1400-1800. I've seen a ton of good deals at this price range. I realize the bang for the buck comes from getting an A, but those Eastman F-styles look pretty solid and I've seen a lot of good feedback on these instruments.

Now, obviously, I'm going to be heading to First Quality Music in Louisville or to another place in Washington Courthouse in OH before I purchase one of these (can't wait to give 'em a run), but I wanted to get the Cafe's opinion at this price range. Should there be other instruments (Weber, Gibson, etc.) at this price range that would be worthwhile to look at?

Just want to cover all the bases on my research before I got out and buy this. I'm going to be playing primarily bluegrass with some blues, funk, reggae, country, well, pretty much a little of everything. I would like to set mine up to play a gig if I ever got good enough (or someone was so desperate for a mando player and i was their last resort). Either way, how do people have their instruments set up?

Also, in my research, I was looking at the Eastman 515 and the 615, and my limited knowledge of the builds, I'm having a difficult time differentiating between the two. Is it just the 615 has more bells and whistles than the 515? Just curious.

Also, for those that have played the Eastman and the Collings MT, could you give me a read on how they compared to each other?

Thanks a ton for your help. I'll let you all know my decision and will post a pic when I get it...

Have an awesome day!!!!
    Collings MT #800

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'd look for a Flatiron A, a Gibson A-9 or the Collings. You won't get the scroll, but you will get the sound. You'll also be in your price range. I'd think you'd want to get to $3,000 or so if you wanted the same sound in an F-model (not that you couldn't shop around and do better).

Good luck.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

You should easily be able to find a Weber Gallatin (F) or perhaps an Absaroka (A) in your price range. I've played some very nice ones of both models. You could also look at used or an A from one of the more affordable luthiers-de-jour. The drawback of course is lack of immediate gratification. As I'm waiting on instruments myself, I do understand wanting it now.

jm, do you have any reccomendations of the "luthier-de-jour"?? Personally, I'd like to look at that option, if it's available in my price range.
    Collings MT #800

Try Arches (http://www.archesmusic.com/) or Neil Dean (http://www.neiljdeanmandolins.com/) for a start.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Since you are not too far away from Walton, KY (near Covington/Cincinatti), why not take a look at the Lebedas (http://www.mandolins.net/lebeda.htm) from Czech republic. Jeff Cowherd is the US distributor and he has some for immediate gratification (see the classifieds here), or he can get some fairly quickly from Jiri. No financial interest (I live in Europe) but I love my Lebeda A+ and it seems a tremendous value for the money.

I think the Collings MT is the best bang for the buck in that range. A really fantastic A.

Recently there have been some nice instruments in that price range in the MC classifieds.
    More "bang for the buck" in a previously owned instrument.

for that sort of money i suggest you forget the brand names, buy two "budget" mandolins which you've tried and liked the sound of and live happily ever after - having two of one kind of instrument is a great antidote for MAS. there's no guarantee, of course (that eastman oval A quickens the pulse ... ) but with charangos, when i feel an attack coming on, i put down one and pick up the other.

in sympathy - bill

If you want to try a hand made instrument, check out Laura Ratcliff's A models. I think she calls them Angelfire now, but she works with her husband Ken Ratcliff of Silver Angel mandolins. Great craftsmanship and even better tone. No financial interest.

Silver Angel
    Don

The Eastmans are well worth the money, there's *Nothing* in that price range that compares. I've owned some great mandos and my 612 rivals many of them. If you want American then go with an Gibson A9 - mine was a hoss.
    keith madison

I agree with Fatt-Dad.

A trip to First Quality is a great idea, they have a good selection to try.

You might also take a look at a Rigel. There are several used ones in the classifieds right now in your price range, and one A-natural (a discontinued model which does not have a pickup) for under $1,000. They also turn up occasionally on E-bay

I agree with recommendations for a used Flatiron A, or Weber Absaroka. I am sure there lots of other goods options, but those are really safe bets and I bet you love the sound more than the scroll. I wouldn't spend the extra money for an import that looks good over an american instrument with the sound, but that's just me, and I will admit occasionally the imports can sound pretty decent.

Chip

I've played Eastmans and Collings MTs and there was no comparison. The Collings was in a totally different class. Part of that is because of the apples-and-oranges comparison of an A and an F at the same price point. But I'd very much doubt that any A-style Eastman could compete with the Collings on a consistent basis. But "consistent" may be the operative word. Occasionally, there will be instruments that are gems -- that outperform their price point. If you find one, then that might be a reason to go with an F. Otherwise, my personal recommendation (for what it's worth) would be to get a higher-grade A rather than a lower-grade F at the same price point. I love the looks of Fs and have a couple. But I think you should wait until you can get a really nice F and, in the meantime, get a really nice A. In your price range that should be very achievable. A really super-nice F, on the other hand would take some extrodinary luck at your price.

Bob DeVellis

I'd suggest the Collings MT. Great quality and tone for the money. If you are considering the Eastmans, play a bunch of them. My experience is that there are some that are good, and some that are "thin sounding". (They all look great) Good luck.

I have a Weber Bitterroot w/ maple, gold hardware, faded leather finish and solid pearl tuning buttons that needs to go soon. It's a great sounding mando but my new Pomeroy is starting later this week. It's a good box but does have a few cracks in the finish (I bought it that way), but nothing major. It would be at the high end of what your budget is, but email me if you're interested

I agree with the A's recommended above... especially the Collings MT. And there's a Rigel A+ in the classifieds also. They are all excellent, and better than most F's in that range. The differences among them have to do with personal preference for neck profile and radius, and subtle differences in tone. E.g. Webers and Gibsons tend to have flat fretboards and Rigels and Collings tend to have radius. Weber necks tend to be thick. Etc.

for F's, I've seen some Weber Gallatins at around $1500, and they are quite nice if you like the plain look (I do)and flat fretboard. For a fancier aesthetic, the Eastmans are nice too... I agree with Walter-- in my experience, there is some variability in the sound (and probably a lot has to do with how well setup it is in the store).

If you decide to go with a custom instrument from a smaller scale luthier, take the time to read what folks have to say about various builders.

Go and play... see what speaks to you.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

id go A9 all the way
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

I've spoken to many a luthier and player, and owned scads of instruments myslef, and have come to one major conclusion: It Ain't the Name on the Instrument, It's What It Sounds Like. A batch of, say, fifty instruments from a given source will provide one or two exceptionally fine-sounding and -playing instruments, a bunch of OK examples, and a dog or two. Despite folks telling you that an instrument is an exact copy of, say a Stradivari, the major determinant is Luck. Or Serendipity, if you prefer, or perhaps Skill and Talent, if only the skill and talent to determine that we must stop sanding Right Now. Who knows?

So don't buy a brand, buy the best mandolin you can afford in your price range. (And if the Best Mandolin you play in your search happens to be a few hundred dollars more than you can afford, ask yourself: "Can I afford to let this one go, and not spend the next ten years kicking myself?").

It's usually worked for me, which is why I have too many mandolins and too much debt. And yes, I still kick myself, after all these years, over the Ones That Got Away.

I have both an Eastman 515 and a Ratliff Oval A style mandolin. #I have had the Eastman for only a week and have played it only about 10 hours so far. I have had the Ratliff significantly longer. #Both of these mandolins have very sweet tones. #The Ratliff is much more played in - as it is almost ten years old. I have upgraded the Ratliff with a bone nut. #I am very satisfied with it and it is very easy to play. #With this in mind, I agree that you will be able to get a nicer mandolin if you get an A style. #My Ratliff is a really nice A style with is also very beautiful. #Nonetheless, I think that both of these mandolins sound very good, just different. #I think you wouldn't be initially disappointed with the Eastman. #They look beautiful and have many high quality characteristics, such as a bone nut, good tuners, a nice tail piece and the fit and finish on my Eastman is outstanding, including around the scroll. In the end, if you want a scroll, I don't think that you would be disappointed with an Eastman, particularly if you plan to use it out alot and don't want to worry about insurance, etc. #It is great to have around and I am not horrified to take it outside, to work, and to jams, like I would with a $5,000.00 mandolin. #Certainly, the Eastman will not be my last F style mandolin, but it is a keeper. #Ultimately, I think that this Eastman is not going to fall apart in ten years. I also like the fact that the 515 is very simple, without all the binding, etc. I was actually surprised that there was as much figure in the maple of my Eastman as there is in my Ratliff. #This is the first Chinese made stringed instrument I have purchased (I have a Pearl drum set - Pearl is based in Nashville, but their drums are made in Tiawan). #I have an European made carved upright bass, three American made electric basses, and a Martin guitar. I think that this is a wonderful Chinese made instrument, in line with the many high quality Chinese instruments made there by Fender, Epiphone, Shen, and others. In the end, if you are thinking that you want a F style mandolin that you will be satified with for a few years, will sound great, then I recommend an Eastman. #If you want a really nice American made custom mandolin that you can feel proud of and want to support a small builder, then there are several to chose from.
    Will Hardy

Ithaca Strings Instruments
    Mowry Custom Four String Electric OM (2 years or so)

Used Flatiron A's are priced roughly as follows: Performer A's ($1100-1300). #A-5's ($1200-$1500). #Artists Series A's ($1500-$2000). #Those are pretty rough guesses based on my lousy memory. Plus they're the asking prices I've seen around here and on ebay, so I'm not sure if sellers get full asking price or not.

I've owned my flatiron performer A for 2 years now and have absolutely loved it so I'm always checking out prices of other Flatirons. #My next upgrade will likely be another Montana Flatiron or a Weber. #Performer F's can go from $1700-$2200 (though one listed last week for $1275! #I unfortunately didn't make an offer in time.)

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Update: No matter what you think of eBay, I've seen some real attractive prices on A5-L's (Gibson) that I may consider. Going to the more prominent dealers, you may see prices in the $2,600.00 range, but recently, there have been some at auction under $2,000.00.

Good luck - nobody said that MAS was easy.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

You'll find many of these threads and everyone seems to have a differen opinion (and each one correct according to the poster). #I tend to side with those recommending you to play a LOT of different mando's. #Half the fun of MAS is the shopping. #Spend a few weeks looking around. #I would never drop over $1k without enjoying the buying process.

Another thought, do you want a unique mando (small builder) or name brand (Gibson, Collings, etc)? #I spent almost 2 months playing everything under the sun before I decided on my Turkey Creek. #It had the sound - but so did some of the others (I liked the Collings MT as well). #Something about playing an instrument that few ppl have even heard of enticed me. #Again, sound is the most important thing. #Remember, the best known instruments do not corner the market on quality. #Nose around and you will eventually find "The One".

GOOD LUCK!

Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

Yeah, see, this is what I love about here. This is all a bunch of great info to digest. I'm really looking forward to picking the next mando that's gonna be right for me. Don't have a clue what it'll be, but I'm still excited.

As for builders, I'm not really concerned with the name on the front nor the scroll (although the day a scroll ends up at my home will happen), as I'm looking for quality and something I can just really appreciate playing day in and day out. I tell ya, even the comment about having 2 mandos for the price of one was pretty intriguing.

Something popped in my brain as I read the post flawlaw made. I plan on taking mine outside all the time in the summer (my dad's farm in KY, in my backyard, bgrass festivals, etc.) Would any of you be scared to bring a $1500 mando to these places? Do you have a different one you take on those trips? Also, does everyone carry insurance on their mandos at that price range? Hadn't really thought about it before.

Appreciating all the info here, it's making it hard to sleep at night thinking about this (that I'm attempting to figure out how best to break the news to my wife.

thanks a ton.

Kelly
    Collings MT #800