Thread: Weber sage octave

Default Weber sage octave

I am thinking of selling my Weber Sage 1 Octave mandolin.
    I was wondering if there is any demand for this level of instrument and if so what would a reasonable price be to list it? It is in excellent shape and has the original case.
    Thanks,
    Barry

Default Re: Weber sage octave

Oh yes indeed, lots of demand! The flat top line was discontinued several years ago. I had a chance to buy one of the last ones made, and I regret not getting it.

Those were 1700 brand new I think and included the case. Seems like about 1250 or so would be fair from your description. The short scale (20") ones are more popular and an easier sell than the long ones (22") but the value is no different.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Didn't the Weber Sage have a 23.5 inch scale length?

Paul

They made them in both long and short scale versions.i think it was 20.5 and 22.5. They do the same with the octaves they make today.

Still waiting for the OP's instrument to pop up in classifieds. What happened?
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Don, I decided to change to heavier gauge strings. This significantly improved the sound to to my liking and then decided to keep it!
    The sound if nice for its value. I was considering another octave but decided that I don't play the octave enough to justify the upgrade.

Too bad. I might have pounced on it. Like I said, they don't come up often. Their owners seem to be hanging on.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

There's been one in the classifieds for over a week.
    Steve

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    There's been one in the classifieds for over a week.
    To wit: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/102029#102029

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	149607

Asking $1000 and open to offers, perhaps from a Weber aficionado looking to upgrade from a Fender OM.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Yea, thanks guys. I believe that one is the long scale, but I want the short scale. Plus he says it has "dings" and I like minty fresh!

Plus I guess I'm lucky it doesn't quite suit me because I'm not really in a financial position at the moment for a move like that.

They made a Sage 1 and a Sage 2. I think the 2 had fancier wood and headstock inlay instead of a decal. Naturally, I would prefer the 2 (in short scale) and minty. Am I just dreaming? Especially being so picky when they are so rare to start with. Yes. But is being a dreamer against the law? I think not.

I had two chances to pick up one. One was a used one from The Mandolin Store that was advertised as mint which I placed on hold before Dennis even had it in hand. He knew I wanted mint or close, but when it came in he called me to say that even though the guy who traded it described it as mint, it was not. So I passed. It still didn't last long at the asking price though. The second chance was a brand new one during a visit to Mandolin Brothers while Stan Jay was still alive. He swore it was the LAST new one in existence anywhere, and I believed him. But I didn't bite. One of the great regrets of my mandolin life.

By the way, the Fender is surprisingly nice. Just about the same thing as a made in Korea Trinity College with a built in pick up. Probably was made in the same factory only TC had moved production to China by then. I would be shocked if they didn't use the same design at the same factory to make these. The similarities are obvious. And using slightly heavier strings than the originals (light mandola strings) really makes it wake up. So I guess I'll just be satisfied with it. For now.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A