Thread: D' Adario Stainless Steels

Default D' Adario Stainless Steels

I noticed our small town music shop selling JS-74's at half the price of Phospher Bronze J74's and wondered if they would be worth buying? I've never tried stainless mandolin strings and suspect I'd be put off by their brightness...any opinions from those in the know appreciated

Keith
    Northfield NF5S
    2001 Flatiron Festival
    Epiphone MM-50
    Guild D55
    National Style 0
    1987 Gibson 335
    60th Anniversary Strat

Default Re: D' Adario Stainless Steels

They're actually my go to. I don't think they're THAT much brighter, but definitely sound more metallic. I prefer them because I like the sounds I can get on the open G and D strings. I feel like I can sorta get that Sam Bush strummy sound that he gets. But they're definitely an unorthodox choice and I get many gasps and agape "Really?!" when I tell people that I use them. I also feel like they last a little bit longer than the phosphor bronze, but I have very sweaty hands, and everyone's different.

I say try em out, and if you don't like em, that's yer answer!
    "I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people."
    -Doc Watson

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."
    -Louis Armstrong

3. The following members say thank you to Bslot0622 for this post:

JKA 

I probably would never try them, but my Silverangel came with them. Now this mandolin is deep and dark, by virtue of its redwood top and cross bracing. The ss strings sound pretty good.ill try a few other sets of pb strings, and maybe some others, but not before these are worn out.

5. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

JKA 

Blog Entries

I bought a few sets to try when I bought my normal J-75's a while back, well I got em on my ole' 1930's Gibson F-7 conversion and well they are pretty darn brite! I kinda like em but time will tell, They've been on for about a month with a bunch of pickin on em and they still sound new but my mando is brite to begin with so they might be to shrilly for that horn!

7. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

JKA