Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo! Silverangel incoming

Default Yahoo! Silverangel incoming

It is funny how things work out. I had made up my mind to buy a new Collings MT today, when a Silverangel appeared in the classifieds this morning. I have always loved the tone of those redwood tops.

So all you Silverangel owners, feed my waiting angst with pictures, tales of joy, and anything else you can think of. I bought a A style. Stoked does not begin to describe my feeling right now.

2. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Default Re: Yahoo! Silverangel incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    It is funny how things work out. I had made up my mind to buy a new Collings MT today, when a Silverangel appeared in the classifieds this morning. I have always loved the tone of those redwood tops.

So all you Silverangel owners, feed my waiting angst with pictures, tales of joy, and anything else you can think of. I bought a A style. Stoked does not begin to describe my feeling right now.
    I'm still loving my A-style "Econo" from '09. I got to play 2 MTs and an MF-5 a couple of weeks ago, and my SA is certainly in the MT class in tone and playability (though a bit bassier as Ken's mandos typically are). The Collings fit/finish is top notch, and you can tell that the SA is hand made, but it's still well put together. The MF-5 was in another league, but was also priced close to 8 grand, so there's that .

I think these are some of the best "bang for your buck" mandos out there, particularly in the 900-2000 dollar range, and Ken's work has only gotten cleaner over the years. Also, he seems to have really figured out the redwood tops, so I'd expect yours to be a step up from mine (which is spruce/maple). Congratulations!
    Chuck

I really like the rustic aesthetic. Not too keen on the new and shiny. I think the Silverangel fits my personality.

I had a Collings MF....crafted with the utmost Collings precision and beautiful to look at, but the tone was very one-dimensional.. It did nothing for me...

So.... I sold it and bought a Redwood Silverangel with one of Ken's paintings on the back... It's highly distressed...total opposite of the Collings. But I've had MANY people tell me it's the best sounding mandolin they've ever heard.

I think you made the right choice!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Here's mine. It's one of the new Econo A's with redwood top

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	604.2 KB 
ID:	148729

Name:	IMG_1713.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	148730

This pic is with my Summit, which is also an excellent mandolin!

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	148731

MAS periodically flares, and I begin to search for my next mando, but, truly, this mando has what I need. To trade or sell it would require me to be moving to another tier of mando-dom, which, honestly, my playing doesn't justify. I refuse to part with it unless I feel I'm truly upgrading, and I haven't found "that one" for < 4 grand yet. I played everything I could get my hands on in Gruhn's, Carter's, and Artisan Guitars a couple of summers ago, and there were mandos there that were better than mine, but they were all much, much more expensive. Whenever I have such an experience, so far, it's reinforced how good my SA is and quelled MAS for a while.

And, don't get me wrong. While Collings' clean work and finishes are well known, and mine isn't quite that clean, it's very nicely built. It isn't one of Ken's distressed models, and it has a very nice 1 piece maple back on it. I didn't mean that comment above as a knock at all. It's just obviously hand made rather than CNC'd visual perfection.
    Chuck

Stevo - that's a really nice looking Silverangel!

Sure is! She's a beaut! It's a distressed model but the distressing seems to be minimal on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Sure is! She's a beaut! It's a distressed model but the distressing seems to be minimal on this one...
    I should probably say "mild" not "minimal"

Do all the Econo A models have speed necks, or does it vary with the instrument? Or the degree of relicing.

When I visited Ken at the end of June, this year, I think Econo A #5, of the current group was ready for shipping. It was a beauty and felt great in my hands. Fit, finish were just right. I loved the distressing on that one, and hope mine looks close to it. Love the sound that came out of that one, especially on the bass end. I love a bass end that has a strong, solid, ringing tone to it.
    The balance across the strings was so tight. I went from Kentucky to Nashville. Played a lot of mandolins in Music City. Only one I played sounded better than that Econo A. Whoever got it, has a beast.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I have #5

Did it look like the one above? It's possible you could have played #4. Either way mine plays and sounds great!

I think he's doing all of them with speed necks but you could probably request a custom neck. Although I don't think he's making any more Econo A's other than the ones he has still lined up.

These are a varnish finish so it's not like a speed neck on a lacquer finish where it looks like a stark transition from wood to finish. On these it just seems normal. You don't feel any transition at all. I think you'd probably want a speed neck with varnish finish as varnish can feel sort of sticky at times.

here's my Feb 2014 distressed F #341 I changed the Golden Age to German made Rubners-mega difference. Also put it in a Hiscox case. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160720_160136.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1,013.5 KB 
ID:	148765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160720_160136.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1,013.5 KB 
ID:	148765
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	148761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	148762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	148763  

Last edited by edandjudy3946; Aug-09-2016 at 6:33am.
    Blessings from the Smoky Mountains

2017 Northfield Big Mon Engelman top
    1998 Martin HD28VR
    2001 Taylor 514CE
    2018 Blueridge BR240A
    50's Conrad baritone uke - was mom's
    2 tenor ukes Leolani and Kala

I have #5

Did it look like the one above? It's possible you could have played #4. Either way mine plays and sounds great!
    Must have been #4. Would have shipped late June early July. I thought it was more like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pennyangel.JPG 
Size:	393.3 KB 
ID:	148764  
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Yep, must have been #4. Mine went out the week of July 20 or so.

I'm curious how similar this recent batch of Silverangel A's compare to each other. I asked Ken about it and he said that every mandolin is different (which is to be expected) but that they all have a fairly similar sound. Still, it would be fun to line them all up and play each.

Yep, must have been #4. Mine went out the week of July 20 or so.

I'm curious how similar this recent batch of Silverangel A's compare to each other. I asked Ken about it and he said that every mandolin is different (which is to be expected) but that they all have a fairly similar sound. Still, it would be fun to line them all up and play each.
    I know I was very impressed with the Econo A that I played. (#4). It was easily the best sounding mandolin I have owned or played until the Weber River F I just purchased, which just blows me away every time I play it. Either it sounds better, I sound better or some combination of both of those. . But then consider the price difference, 7.2 K to 1.4K and the River should very well sound better.
    Ken is such a nice guy. He let me pick out the back pieces, the tailpiece and the tuners, because I was there at his place.
    Him and his wife Laura are such gracious hosts. (Ken says she is great at the finish work. They work on these together.)
    They gave us a grand tour of their home, the art studio, the mandolin shop. Took us to lunch and saw us off to 1-65 West as we continued on our way. My wife got a bunch of photos we will always recall fondly.
    He just put the neck on #7 he tells me and I'm looking for mine (#11) end of Autumn.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I'll have mine before noon tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Congratulations, Br1ck! I have heard good things about those mandolins and they certainly are attractively ornamental if not very authentic! Enjoy.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Received my Silverangel this morning. Here are my first impressions.

You can not tell from pictures what a master of aging Ken is. I mean, the binding is yellowed and matches my 45 year old guitars. He must crack the binding before he glues it in. End of binding doesn't quite butt up, just like real shrinkage. The finish looks like an old Gibson. I especially like the finish shrinking into the grain in spots, and the neck looks like honest wear to the wood. If you only like perfect scratch and flaw free instruments, the Silverangel is not for you.

I got an immediate bump up in tone from my Eastman 505. The bass fron the G string is amazing, but the E string is just as present. Warm and woody, it is a seductive and pleasant tone. Dig in and the mandolin just keeps on giving volume. Playability is also there in spades.

If you get the aesthetic and darkish tonal signature, you'll like these.

22. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Thanks for the great review, I got lucky and got on the list, I think I may have the last one he's making. Staying patient . Steve, I love the finish on yours, thanks for posting the pic!

One more observation, my SA came with D'Addario ss strings, bought by mistake by previous owner. I see where they are the brightest strings, but they seem to me to be perfect on this mandolin. My tone-guard bottoms out on the back before the pads touch the sides due to very prounounced arching of the carve of the back. In contact with tone-guard to see about thicker pads.

Otherwise I'm thrilled with this mandolin. I adapted to the neck easily, and I see why bigger frets are so popular. Man, it's nice the G string doesn't disappear when chording. Interesting that bridge makes full contact all the way across. Design concession to redwood cross braced top? Mine is #338.

25. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Received my Silverangel this morning. Here are my first impressions.

You can not tell from pictures what a master of aging Ken is. I mean, the binding is yellowed and matches my 45 year old guitars. He must crack the binding before he glues it in. End of binding doesn't quite butt up, just like real shrinkage. The finish looks like an old Gibson. I especially like the finish shrinking into the grain in spots, and the neck looks like honest wear to the wood. If you only like perfect scratch and flaw free instruments, the Silverangel is not for you.

I got an immediate bump up in tone from my Eastman 505. The bass fron the G string is amazing, but the E string is just as present. Warm and woody, it is a seductive and pleasant tone. Dig in and the mandolin just keeps on giving volume. Playability is also there in spades.

If you get the aesthetic and darkish tonal signature, you'll like these.
    Agree totally. His distressing work is superb. And, I'm continually amazed by the bass response he gets in these instruments!
    Chuck

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

One more observation, my SA came with D'Addario ss strings, bought by mistake by previous owner. I see where they are the brightest strings, but they seem to me to be perfect on this mandolin.
    I think that 80/20 strings are generally considered to be the brightest. I'm pretty sure that Ken Ratcliff installs D'Addario EJ75's from the bench.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Note on the tone guard. Not the most elegant solution, but I bent it a bit with my hands in three places on the main cross bar and in the middle of the crescent bar. Clears the back now with all the perimeter pads touching the mandolin back.