Thread: Collings MT2, Collings MT2V and Pava Pro - comparisons

Default Collings MT2, Collings MT2V and Pava Pro - comparisons

I was wondering if members would like to offer up their experiences of comparisons between the above three.

I was also wondering if the wider nut MT and MT2V have the same profile neck as an MT2-O. I looked at Daryl Crisp's thread and his MT2-V looked quite chunky and round and not the angular V in a standard nut and neck version.
    Nic Gellie

Default Re: Collings MT2, Collings MT2V and Pava Pro - comparisons

I have a variety of mt2s and mt2v's and a Pava Pro. The sound of the Pava is darker, and does not have as much volume as the comparable MT2. The trebles are not as pronounced. The neck is also chunkier. I did a four hour gig today and was a bit fatigued afterwards.

Check with Daryl, but his MT2v was the wide nut version.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

dang 

Thanks Mandobar. That was a very useful post.

How does your MT2V stack up against your MT2?
    Nic Gellie

the tone has a bit more depth on the varnish.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Hey Nick
    that MT2V was the wide neck 1 3/16". It was not the same shape as the 1 3/16" that comes on the MT0. It had a touch more V, but not as defined V as the 1 3/16" MF I just sold. My MT2V had a little more chunk in the shoulders area of the neck. Its the only one I've had hands on with, so single specimen.

I have played I'm guessing 6 MT2's, and to my memory, they were similar in tone to the MT2V. The 2V had an added sweetness to the top of the note, I hope that makes sense. It could be played soft and quiet and sound really nice, if pushed, it just kept getting louder and louder but not get trashy.

I received it in a trade that worked out well for me. I myself would not buy one over the MT2 model, but that has to do with the cost factor more than anything. Myself, I would look at a MT2 that has something going on like the birdseye maple on the back and some euro spruce on the top-those sound really good to me and cost less.

that varnish finish is touchy also, shows marks and such real easy, if that sort of thing bothers you, I would steer away from the V, based on my one experience.

I personally don't care for waverly tuners, had them on different instruments and just don't like them, you pay a couple hundred extra for that on the V model as well, lots of folks love them though.

d

7. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I don't have a Collings, but I do have a varnished mandolin and it shows a lot of distress from playing. As Daryl says if that bothers you maybe the MT2 would be a better choice. If you gig like I do the varnish will definitely show marks more easily and feel sticky in hot humid weather. If I didn't like mine so much I would think of a performing lacquer for more durability.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I don't have a Collings, but I do have a varnished mandolin and it shows a lot of distress from playing. As Daryl says if that bothers you maybe the MT2 would be a better choice. If you gig like I do the varnish will definitely show marks more easily and feel sticky in hot humid weather. If I didn't like mine so much I would think of a performing lacquer for more durability.
    I forgot the sticky feel, glad you mentioned that. I noticed that a few times, especially on the neck. other gloss neck finishes don't bother me so much, I did feel an obvious sticky feel at times. I remember the same on the top a few times as well. I never researched it, but there was that effect happening a few times.
    My MT2V had been in a shop for almost a year I think, so I would assume it was not a curing issue.

something to check into Nic if you head towards one.

d

They are all nice. Pavas to me sound a bit more complex and darker then the Collings. However, Pavas also seem to have one of the shortest fretboard radius of any mandolin I ever tried, resulting in a little more fatigue. Anyone else notice that?

I love the neck & prifile on my Pava Pro. A rounder neck and thus dies not cause fatigue as much as the sharp V on the Collings MTs MT2s to me.

To each his iwn preferences.

Great responses thanks everyone. If I was going to with an MT2 or V it would be with a wide nut because it has a more rounded shape. I just feel with more of a V in the standard my hands cramps a bit with the 4 finger block chords. I am not a fan of Waverley tuners either. I much prefer Grover 309s.

Interesting observation Renoyd about the fretboard radius on the Pava.
    Nic Gellie

Even with lacquer the neck gets sticky. I carry a cloth to wipe things down.

This was a very new mandolin at the time this was recorded

https://youtu.be/Y_8VlnXN1Lo

Birdseye back one piece, Adirondack top.

The trebles were green, but not sharp, and having played it, I can say from experience it has a full throaty chop. Really, all the mandolin you'd ever need. Not as sweet as the Italian topped version, but definitely loud and it will hold its own in a bluegrass jam.

As for the neck shape and fatigue, I find the opposite. I believe this has a lot to do with the position you hold your mandolin in, which for everyone is different. Much has to do with the way you sling the strap (over the shoulder, sound the neck, etc), how you hang your strap (neck strap button, tie around under the neck joint), etc.

After yesterday's gig I am seriously thinking of letting the Pava go.

So Mandobar the MT2V recorded in the video is yours now. Have you recorded with it so that we can hear how it sounds now? Anyone recorded an Italian Spruce Collings? It would be nice to hear a recording of one. Anyone point to a video or a sound clip?

Yours even new had a nice rounded and balanced tone. I presume it has a standard nut width.
    Nic Gellie

Lavas most recent builds have been loud, at least mine (#168) is. Even more so than the early MT2H I had. Both played easy, but Pava easier. Biggest difference was the Collings had a brighter more focused tone and the Pava, darker, wider, more complex with tons of overtones. Both were pretty comfortable to play.

Check out the other videos from TME, there should be one of the italian spruce MT2. Here is a lacquer one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkozysVhfTg

The tone is much more complex, the tone is sweeter, and it is much more even, meaning the tonal qualities are packed tighter together with little or no gap between the registers. There is however an upcharge for the italian (and for the birdseye as well now)

You can't judge all the Collings together as different builds with different wood pairings and finishes result in different tonal qualities.

I also received an MF5 (lacquer) in italian and birdseye as a wedding present this past January. I played a festival with it in March and probably could have sold it at least twice.

17. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

mandobar,

How recent was your Pava? it maybe that the Pava gives one more feedback jwalterweatherman? i have always wondered also if it is the context in which one is playing makes a difference?
    Nic Gellie

I would say that the Pava does give more feedback than MT2s and MTs in my experience.

mine is #18. it has a James tailpiece and I put on Waverly tuners.

No two mandolins are alike. There are just too many variables. I think you need to buy something you like and then work with it to get the sound that you want. Right now I am wrestling (literally at times) with an octave mandolin, trying to get it to perform they way that I want it to. So far I've swapped out strings a few times, and the next step is to tune the lower strings in octave pairs. It is badly in need of a set up, and maybe a bridge swap. I want to be able to play more than chords on it. Right now, playing background leads and fills on it is murder. It's like fighting Ali and Frazier at the same time!