Thread: First Build - Pancake / Army-Navy Style scratch build

Default First Build - Pancake / Army-Navy Style scratch build

With a recent move to a more rural area I finally decided to launch into my first mandolin build. At this point I have the sides bent, the back braced, kerfed linings installed and next step in the neck and joint which I am still somewhat lost on and need to research further.

In conjunction I have another rim all bent and linings in. I am hoping to have a few lessons learned from the first build to apply to that but that feeling when the wood gives and bends over the bending iron was just too great to not go ahead and bend another set.

I have a Flatiron Style octave/bouzouki on the back burner for the next project too.

Photos of easy jointer, rim in mold bent and ready for linings/blocks and sides joined and drying under weight. Obviously we are working with what we got here...may not be the prettiest, but its all about making it work!

Stay tuned...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6671.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	406.8 KB 
ID:	148662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6689.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	1,021.4 KB 
ID:	148663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6650.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	356.7 KB 
ID:	148664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6672.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	412.4 KB 
ID:	148665

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redlineroots For This Useful Post:

Default Re: First Build - Pancake / Army-Navy Style scratch build

Congrats on your first build! I'm on mine, as well. Did more room for a workshop affect the home-buying decision at all?
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Kirby...there is a nice size garage at the new place that has proved to be a nice little shop in the warmer months. Come end of October going to have to seek out the best case scenario for a controlled temperature area to build over the winter.

I have coveted other garage shops, party out of the dust control idea of popping the door up, and putting a box fan or to there.

Are you thinking of trying to insulate the garage? Depending on where you live, that could be tricky. I would not have made that a first choice for humidity and temp control up in Canada. Maybe here in MA.

It depends too on how much stock you're planning to accumulate for future projects, I suppose? I often see the comment, "I've had X wood seasoning in my shop for 20 years" from the veteran builders here. So the humidity and temp controls are salient not only for your current build, but future supplies, as well.

What are you planning for a finish? I would guess temp and humidity have a say in how that turns out, as well.
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Right now thats all up in the air! I have two going right now, so the first to keep things simple Ill likely just go with a natural stain finish and not try to overthink the finishing...have to get to a point where the instrument doesn't sound like a wet fart before I worry about how pretty it looks!

As far as the shop...I have a friend up the hill in town that has a beautiful shop. Its what I aspire to and his stock that is just sitting around rings jealousy strong in my heart! haha. Things to aspire to down the road I suppose. No telling how long we will be at the current house at this point and we may opt to build a barn house down the road with a garage and shop on the first floor...at which point I will meticulously plan and specialize the room!

Ha! If you can top a flatulence tone, you're on the right track, I suppose. Although perhaps a market there for novelty items?

I am very thankful for the basement shop I have, but dust control is tough, and the de-humidifier runs around the clock to keep things under 45%. I also find myself fantasizing about shops - I have always loved Norm Abrams' (of course), or similar designs that have lots of movement around key tools. And a separate finishing room out of the dust!
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair