Thread: Fame, undeserved :-D

Default Fame, undeserved :-D

It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Default Re: Fame, undeserved :-D

Best bio I have seen in a while.

Absolutely fantastic! I'm calling my publicist immediately!

Wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing, Victor!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victor Kioulaphides, Ferdinand Binnendijk and Theo Wolters..jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	977.2 KB 
ID:	148420

6. The following members say thank you to Alex Timmerman for this post:

From a funny text to a funny image: for the record, Ferdinand is something like 6 ft 6 in, if not more. He dwarfs me, and just about everyone else standing next to him.

Blog Entries

I listened to the mp3 in that link, and I kind of liked that. It was interesting, well after you got on the show it was interesting.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The producer of this series, Bret Williams, is a terrific guitarist and a super-super-super nice fellow— also one of the funniest individuals on earth. I did an interview with him a while back and owe him some coffee-talk one of these days. Back in my concert management days, we had hosted him and his Italian duo-partner in a wonderful two-guitar concert. A small world...

Blog Entries

Bret seems like a nice guy, and I liked the interview. I really liked the interview.

It was just his initial monolog, about Star Wars and Star Trek and XBOX and other pop culture stuff, ...well not what I was looking for. I think he was just treading water till playing your segment.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

For posterity:
    Dr. Victor Kioulaphides is an award winning composer and concert double bassist who left his country for New York on a world class cruise ship. He met a plain faced, box shaped girl who let him paint her nude until the ship ran into a giant box of un-microwave-safe-good-morning-america coffee mugs. The End.
    For those who may not have noticed there is an over-1-hour interview downloadable mp3 with the esteemed Dr. Kioulaphides. Victor, it has been so long I almost forget what your voice sounds like. Let's reconnect sometime.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

We really should, Jim. By way of public disclosure, I have been juggling curve-balls for about a year now, so all things musical and social have taken a back seat, simply by necessity. Once I get my life back mandolin and friends will figure big again.

Cheers,

Victor

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    We really should, Jim. By way of public disclosure, I have been juggling curve-balls for about a year now, so all things musical and social have taken a back seat, simply by necessity. Once I get my life back mandolin and friends will figure big again.

Cheers,

Victor
    Spero che tutto vada bene, amico mio......

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Fra il riso e il pianto trascorre la vita...

Nothing out of the ordinary human experience, just a few too many life-altering events, bundled by coincidence: both my maternal aunts, effectively my entire family in the US, passed away in the last 12 months, so my daily life has become a maddening tarantella with landlords, movers, attorneys, accountants, brokers, advisors, what have you; then my day-job has recently condemned me to Death by Promotion putting me in charge of oh-so-much-more than I ever cared to do for a day-job — academia is quite the all-consuming, mind-numbing, many-headed Hydra, as you know. A thousand-plus students look to me for help— and they need much of it.

Under the avalanche of obligations to both family and work, my musical life has had to take the back seat... Yet I hope to get back into the swing of things; in the end, it's all a matter of will-power.

Cheers,

Victor

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    Fra il riso e il pianto trascorre la vita...
    That's what I know. Sono molto dispiaciuto di sentire della morte di tue zie...

Yes, life in the Ivory Tower is rarely, well, an Ivory Tower. At least for those of us down in the day-to-day world of actually teaching and working with students. Particularly helping them navigate through the shoals of higher education. Professional mission creep: I feel your pain.

Ti auguro il meglio, fratello. I hope all gets back on track soon....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Thanks, Mick. Mission creep, indeed...

Happily, I just delivered a small piece for horn and piano, getting it off my plate as we are about to depart on our family vacation this Friday. Once I get back, I’ll start working on another smallish piece for Ferdinand on liuto cantabile and Het Consort— something entirely new for me. Other than that, my near future will be more dancing around the fire with county clerks and other such, colorful personages… Where is Kandinsky when you need him to paint a picture?

Other than that, all good things: Alex just directed the premiere and a couple of subsequent performances of my All'alba with the Orchestra Giovanile Mediterranea— I will leave it for him to comment, as he was of course there and I wasn't. Later this month, Joe Brent is performing my Rhapsody for Mandolin and Piano in New York City. My double concerto for two violins and strings is slated for its premiere in early 2017. And work keeps piling up, pending my eventual dismissal from my legal/clerical duties by the all-merciful Surrogate Court of Bronx County, State of New York, amen.

Cheers,

Victor

Haha Victor,

He's still in a somewhat spheric state of being, but once awake and busy, you'll hopefully be surprised!

Best greetings,

Alex.

PS. Here is one made in 1979/80 after the Violin Concerto by Leo Brouwer.

Name:	Together with Leo Brouwer, Amsterdam 1980 .jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	148618

Name:	Painting in the Collection of Leo Brouwer..jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	148617

18. The following members say thank you to Alex Timmerman for this post:

Wonderful! As you know, I'll be "painting" a canvas like no other for Ferdinand and Het Consort once I get back— a rather more stately, Alexander-III-taste a la Russe piece than Kandinsky's brilliant splash and clash of colors, but hopefully as motley and scintillating as his canvases.

Zaftra... Life is but a dream of tomorrows...

Cheers,

Victor

Blog Entries

Paint me like one of your Greek Bouzoukies.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +