Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rag mandolins

Default Re: Rag mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    It would be terrific if someone would ......
    Great idea . . . I'd like to see that in the 15 - 20k range too . . . while we're dreaming!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Great idea . . . I'd like to see that in the 15 - 20k range too . . . while we're dreaming!
    Now you are just being silly.

Did you know the classical music world operates on a higher plain? For the cost of shipping, dealers will send you $25k instruments, knowing that half a dozen other dealers will too. You get $100-150K worth of instruments sent to you for two week trials. You pick the one you want and send the rest back.

Imagine having a Monteleone from Carters, a Gilchrist from Gruhn, a Heiden from Elderly, an a Giacomel from Schoenberg sent to your house for the cost of shipping. The classical dealers really want you to get the best instrument for you.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

If you like the sound go for it ! Can't beat the price ! To my ears I don't but all ears are different ! If Ricky Skaggs was playing it I'm sure it would sound much better !

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Did you know the classical music world operates on a higher plain? For the cost of shipping, dealers will send you $25k instruments, knowing that half a dozen other dealers will too. You get $100-150K worth of instruments sent to you for two week trials. You pick the one you want and send the rest back.

Imagine having a Monteleone from Carters, a Gilchrist from Gruhn, a Heiden from Elderly, an a Giacomel from Schoenberg sent to your house for the cost of shipping. The classical dealers really want you to get the best instrument for you.
    No, I did not know that. At no cost to the recipient? You'd be talking some serious insurance, etc. I would think. Shipping? I don't think anyone would trust the common carriers with 100k worth of instruments. But hey I love the idea and I'm all for it, let's get this rolling! I'll start with this one . . . https://cartervintage.com/collection...-loar-signed-2

Recipient pays all shipping and insurance both ways. My daughter narrowed her choices down to two, and got an additional month. Played both on gigs, made her choice, sent one viola back and the other dealer got a check. I believe it cost her around $1000 in shipping, not bad considering she was shopping $25k market.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You know Br1ck, that is very interesting. I wonder if the top-tier builders have every been approached with this idea. Really could be advantageous when considering a purchase that substantial. I'm sure most would offer the 48hr return, but to be able to compare 2 or 3 side by side would be so awesome and wise!

The only maker I know that will send you a mandolin to try is Ken Ratclif of Silverangel fame. It makes a lot of sense to me to get instruments into a buyer’s hands.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The more I play my new Rag F5 the more I like it! It plays like butter. The neck is radiused. I think the radius starts at 9.5 not sure if it is a compound radius or not. She doesn't have the bell like chime on the E and A strings like my F5G but she does have her own sweet voice. She barks too and is loud. Sounds good plugged in. The box vibrates big time and she has decent sustain. Will post pics soon. Worth the money IMO.

Keep a song in your heart,
    Lisa

9. The following members say thank you to Grannycrowe for this post:

Gunnar 

Quote Originally Posted by Grannycrowe View Post
    The more I play my new Rag F5 the more I like it! It plays like butter. The neck is radiused. I think the radius starts at 9.5 not sure if it is a compound radius or not. She doesn't have the bell like chime on the E and A strings like my F5G but she does have her own sweet voice. She barks too and is loud. Sounds good plugged in. The box vibrates big time and she has decent sustain. Will post pics soon. Worth the money IMO.

Keep a song in your heart,
    Lisa
    Have any photos or video you could share? I am getting to the point of potentially getting one of these unplayed...the deal seems pretty amazing and I know one player with one and you can't beat the price!

I just came home with Roy Gordon, Sr.'s #54, ( I wanted the blonde #53, but it was already sold)! Mine is a "distressed" Adirondack Spruce face with a solid maple back, and it is a "rustic" finish, but it is a beautiful finish! I love the tone of this mandolin; the bottom tones bark, loudly, and the treble is angelic! The balance of the instrument is great, and it has a solid, integrated feel when you hold it. The neck is radiused and delightful to play! The Rag fills that gap between the "good" inexpensive mandolins, and the "entry level" top end instruments! This guy's work is worth checking out!!

Congrats! Sounds like some fun in your future. Now for some pictures...

Having an oval F built by Roy now. His communication is excellent. I provided neck measurements of an instrument I like, and some other details, along with a pickup and tailpiece

No so nutty about the aesthetics or potential resale as much as I am with having an American made solid player for all occasions.

Pictures of it in the white in the Builders forum.

So #58 arrived yesterday. Has very a balanced sound and rings true and well up the neck. Almost piano like past the 14th fret.

15. The following members say thank you to steve in tampa for this post:

I bought #31 (A-style), spruce top w/cherry back and flame maple sides and neck, from forum member Andrew Buckner (check out his site:
    https://www.andrewbucknermusic.net/music-2) a few weeks ago, and can hardly put it down.

It's my first mandolin, but I've played guitar for many years, so I know what I'm looking for in an acoustic instrument. I'd have to agree with much of what's been said above. Really nice tone, very resonant, and easy to play even for a noob like me.

Aesthetically, it's not perfect, but I wouldn't call it rustic, either. I think its appearance is very folk, old-time, and 'grass appropriate.

Overall, I'd say it represents a nice sweet spot in the market: a genuinely good-sounding, easy-playing, all-solid woods, hand-made-in-America instrument at a price that's beginner-friendly. I'm more than pleased that I was able to acquire this instrument, rather than a similarly-priced import.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishermike For This Useful Post: