Thread: Big Frets

Default Big Frets

Yesterday I tried some mandolins. A Kentucky 1050 and an Eastman 815.

I liked them both, but the Kentucky had larger frets, which I found easier to play.

Two questions: is it a good idea to swap out the smaller frets to the larger ones? Who else uses the larger frets other than The Loar? Looking to buy new, as in unused, in the $1000 to $1800 range.
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

Default Re: Big Frets

My Silverangel "Econo" has larger frets. I'm not sure if Ken is still making those as new instruments or if he's reached the end of his current run, but that's a consideration. I tend to prefer larger frets as well, though my Eastman 315's playability is still very good with their more traditional frets.

I don't know that it's worth the expense to change out new/otherwise perfectly fine frets unless you just can't get the instrument set up well enough to make it comfortable without that change. Sometimes, depending on your initial set up, that change would require a new nut as well. If you were to, say, buy an Eastman in that range that tonally knocked your socks off, you could play as is until you're ready for a re-fret anyway, then make the conversion. But, I'm pretty adaptable to fret size, board radius or lack thereof, and string spacing differences. Not everyone is, and for those with strong preferences, I'd certainly advocate making your mando one that's a joy to play!
    Chuck

I always replace frets on every instrument with large frets. Much easier to play for me.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Webers are usually made with the larger frets. Bruce Weber is going to refret my Yellowstone with EVO frets, the same size as the old ones.

It really depends on how much meat each of us have at the ends of our fingers. If you have lots of cushion there then the larger frets may feel easier to play, if you have less meat there then smaller frets may feel just fine.

7. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

The fret size is simply 'relative'. Eastmans use a smaller fret wire than most other makers,making other brands seem larger, when in fact most are pretty standard.
    George Lane mentions that Weber mandoilins are made with 'larger frets'. Compared to Eastman frets they might be,but they're the same size as on my Lebeda & Ellis mandolins. Weber fretwire size is Jescar (manufacturer) # FW 37080. I've only played a couple of Eastman mandolins & i didn't like the small fretwire myself,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have Jescar Evo Gold 37080 on two mandolins, and original 1920 wire on a Gibson A20. The two with the modern frets are definitely easier on the fingers, and I would have any modern mandolin fitted with Evo Gold.

My Eastman MD315 plays well with the stock frets, but once it needs a refret, I'm going with a larger size.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Would I buy a mandolin that I liked, but that didn't have frets that I liked, and pay for a re-fret soon after purchase? Probably not.

My mandolin menagerie includes instruments with varying fret sizes. Not a huge issue to readjust from one fret size to another, IMHO. If, on the other hand, I was planning to have only one primary instrument (heresy!), I'd probably buy one with frets that I found more comfortable -- unless I was completely attracted to the sound of one with less comfortable frets. And then, I'd probably learn to love 'em.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM