Thread: taking one of Matt Flinners summer intensive classes-some ?

Default taking one of Matt Flinners summer intensive classes-some ?

I can't make the live classes due to my work-has anyone else been in this situation and if so, how was the class for you.

I looked at the curriculums and they look pretty neat-and intensive.

I think it would be a blast and huge push for me to improve.

would appreciate any prev students thoughts.

thank you
    d

Default Re: taking one of Matt Flinners summer intensive classes-some ?

Daryl, the classes meet twice a week. Can you make either the session during the week or the Saturday session? I say that because you are able to interact personally with Matt during the live sessions. You can also access these via an iPad or even your phone using the Citrix software, so you don't necessarily need to be sitting in front of a computer.

There are some folks, due to the time differences, who take the class using the videos and the materials. I've been taking them since he started this several years ago, and am currently taking the scales and arpeggios class for the next session (I was in the first round of this class also). It has helped me immensely in playing in a variety of project that I am involved in now. Working with vocalists can be challenging, as we are not always in a mandolin-friendly key. I've been forced, very aggressively, into learning the fretboard, and into developing my position-playing skills. The space above the 7th fret comes in mighty handy when you are in B flat, F, etc.

If you have the time to put in, the classes are a way to really push your playing forward. And besides, Matt is a great teacher and a monster mandolin player.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    ... And besides, Matt is a great teacher and a monster mandolin player.
    i didn't take online classes yet, but having attended Matt's one-week-mando class during SoreFingersSummerSchool in England this year, I surely can vouch for that!
    Tempted to join this summer intensive class, too...
    Greetings
    Pit

5. The following members say thank you to pit lenz for this post:

I love Matt's classes - I've taken three of them, and wasn't able to make the live class times due to work.

You will miss out on actually interacting during the video sessions, but Matt is very active in the class forums, and I've found that if you match your pace to the class and don't fall behind, you'll still get a lot out of it.

7. The following members say thank you to keithb for this post:

I just "finished" the scales intensive class. I made one out of the four classes. He gives you access to the videos, which you can either stream or download to your computer. The PDF materials are almost worth the price of the class, if you get the early bird sign up special.

The actual scheduled class is better than the weekend practice sessions. If you can only make the practice sessions, make sure you are familiar with the material, at least downloading the PDFs and giving them a once over, and you should get a lot out of the live practice sessions.

Overall, very happy with Matt's class, it has really helped me learn the fretboard, and given me a lot of material to work with.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

9. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

thanks folks
    and yes, there is a early bird signup that ends august 1, so my next question is just in time.

after the class has ended, do you still have access to the video and class material, or is it just during the timespan of the class?

I sent Matt an email yesterday but haven't heard back-and I know many things could be at play, email may have not made it, he may be gone, out of town, sickness, so I'm asking you folks here.

I planned to send him another email tonite.

thank you
    d

I, too, just finished the scales intensive. Yes, the video materials are available for a time after the class but not forever. The students are not allowed to distribute them however. There are seven or more handouts each class that cover everything in standard notation and tab. Matt is very generous with his time particularly in the weekday sessions. They run close to 90 minutes most weeks.

Matt moved homes in the middle of the scales class and still presented all sessions! Though he did have to move one Saturday session to Sunday. He gave one Saturday class while he was on the road and going off to a gig later that day. Matt is a super guy!
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

12. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Daryl, give Matt a bit more time to answer, he just moved his family to Vermont. I know he is also teaching at Swannanoa for Mando Week. That may be this week, and he'd have limited email access.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

14. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    thanks folks
    and yes, there is a early bird signup that ends august 1, so my next question is just in time.

after the class has ended, do you still have access to the video and class material, or is it just during the timespan of the class?

I sent Matt an email yesterday but haven't heard back-and I know many things could be at play, email may have not made it, he may be gone, out of town, sickness, so I'm asking you folks here.

I planned to send him another email tonite.

thank you
    d
    Daryl-

I've taken several of Matt's classes, and cannot recommend them highly enough. I have all the written materials for the classes in Matt's PDF format in a Dropbox folder and I can access them anywhere. At the end of the class Matt will load the videos onto a flashdrive for you, and he sends everyone links to the videos which are always available on Vimeo. So you will have all the material available after the class.

And to the OP, videos of class and practice sessions are available online the next day. Keeping up with the class is easier for me when I can make the sessions live, but with a little discipline you can stay on schedule.

16. The following members say thank you to Steve Roberts for this post:

Hi Daryl,

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner! I'm in the thick of things here at NashCamp, and catching up when I can. Anyway, I think several past and current students have answered your questions here (for which you all have my sincere thanks!), but I'll do my best to reiterate a couple of things here.
    Several students in past courses have not been able to make the live sessions, but have kept up by watching them after-the-fact on the class website. This seems to work well, as far as I can tell; as Steve mentioned, it may take a little more discipline to keep up this way, but the sessions are there for you to view any time. I also do my best to answer questions on the class site or via email promptly, so if you're unable to interact with me during the live sessions, you still have that route. The forum on the class website tends to be pretty active, which is great for everyone and we all learn more together that way.
    As far as the class materials go, you'll have access to the class website for about three weeks after the class concludes. You can download all PDFs, mp3s and videos during the course and for those few weeks afterwards. After that, you can still get anything you may have missed. I archive everything and can get any materials to you either via download links and email or via flash drive (for the cost of the flash drive plus postage) any time after the course has concluded.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. We'd love to have you in class---hope to see you there!

Thanks,
    Matt

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flynyrdskynyrd For This Useful Post:

thanks folks, and thank you Matt

I'm probably the most busy I've ever been in my lifetime, right now, this summer. Makes absolutely no sense for me to sign up for anything/anywhere.

But, it sounds like a great way to push oneself in a positive manner and learn.

d
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Jul-29-2016 at 4:50am.

Daryl,

I have taken two courses and I am signed up for a third. I can rarely make the live classes. Matt uploads videos of the classes, the practice sessions, short videos of each "skill" or "exercise" he teaches for the week, mp3's and pdf's of all of the songs, exercises, scales or other materials used each week. All of these are available to view anytime you want on the class website and you can download all of this to your hard drive to use forever.

While the classes are very good and as interactive as you may want, this material is not going to be learned once through. You'll want and need to go over it again and again for months, even forever. Working with a metronome as Matt suggests, each time you get cleaner, faster and more fluid. Your ear begins to recognize the sounds under you fingers, and the whole process just builds on itself.

You may not have time to make a single live class, but at the end of the course you'll have enough really great materials to fill all your spare time for a long time to come. I am extremely satisfied, and I have already seen considerable improvement.

Go for it.

Tom B.

21. The following members say thank you to tbrahan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tbrahan View Post
    Daryl,

I have taken two courses and I am signed up for a third. I can rarely make the live classes. Matt uploads videos of the classes, the practice sessions, short videos of each "skill" or "exercise" he teaches for the week, mp3's and pdf's of all of the songs, exercises, scales or other materials used each week. All of these are available to view anytime you want on the class website and you can download all of this to your hard drive to use forever.

While the classes are very good and as interactive as you may want, this material is not going to be learned once through. You'll want and need to go over it again and again for months, even forever. Working with a metronome as Matt suggests, each time you get cleaner, faster and more fluid. Your ear begins to recognize the sounds under you fingers, and the whole process just builds on itself.

You may not have time to make a single live class, but at the end of the course you'll have enough really great materials to fill all your spare time for a long time to come. I am extremely satisfied, and I have already seen considerable improvement.

Go for it.

Tom B.
    thanks for taking the time to reply Tom-this was exactly what I needed to hear, and what I really need to do.
    d

Go for it! I have taken two jazz, two bluegrass and two Summer Intensive classes from Matt, and all were great learning experiences. Love the structure and interaction of the weekly lesson and Saturday morning practice sessions. The Summer intensives ones are aptly named, packing lots into 4 weeks each. They are a bit more technique oriented (still have tunes though) while the other classes are more genre /style focused. I look forward to taking more!

Scott
    Last edited by Grommet; Jul-30-2016 at 4:02am.

24. The following members say thank you to Grommet for this post:

I'll add my voice to the chorus of recommendations here. I just finished the Summer Intensive 101 and am signed up for 102. Matt is a great teacher, explains things very clearly (and with a great sense of humor), and responds to questions. The handouts and videos are are well organized and all fit together in a coherent way. I liked the variety of exercises - and songs - that Matt included and have been using them to practice since the course ended. I've never done an online course like this before and was unsure what to expect but I was very pleased with the experience.

26. The following members say thank you to brooklynjoe for this post:

Just signed up for 102 and jamming-2, since I have a little more summer time on my hands than expected.
    Looking forward to this bootcamp August!
    Who else is in?

Greetings from the old world (where classes take place at three in the morning)....
    Pit

I'm in!
    session 102.
    Looking forward to it immensely.

thanks to all who replied
    d