Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Northfield and some pics

Default New Northfield and some pics

So, I've never even held a mandolin before and went and got myself this amazing Northfield NF-F5S. I'm learning more quickly than I thought I would, and haven't been this excited to learn an instrument since I was 13 and first started getting serious about guitar.

Any suggestions for a good instruction book for someone who's played guitar for over 20 years? I mean, I know most of the basics, but also realize there are many differences- like, I don't need to learn how to hold a pick or play "Marry Had a Little Lamb" which is where almost all of the beginner books start off. I love almost all forms of music.

2. The following members say thank you to SwartDeco for this post:

Default Re: New Northfield and some pics

Not too shabby for a first mandolin, never having held one before. Have fun.

For books, need to know what style of music you want to play. There a loads of advanced tomes for all genres.

Yeah, it's not to shabby at all. I'm amazed by the tone that comes out of this thing!

Bluegrass is what drew me to the instrument, but I'm also interested in classical, jazz, and Celtic and most anything else. I'm far from advanced, but I'm not just starting with a stringed/fretted instrument either, which is why I've had a hard time finding a good book to cover what I need. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! I know you asked about books, but may I suggest mandolessons.com to get a jump start with a few tunes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Neverisky For This Useful Post:

Nice mandolin!
    There are tons of books out there if that's the route you choose.
    Guitar experience is great, but it's not 100% transferable. Take a look on-line at some videos such as ones from Mike Marshall re holding the mandolin, pick grip etc before you get too far ahead of yourself. The 'mandolessons' site that AKA Frosty suggested features quite a few good, basic tunes/lessons and good methodical teaching style.

8. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

What I've found helpful over the years is to either transcribe solos of breaks/artists that catch your ear, or find some of these books that the pickers have done documenting their solos/styles. Dawg has several out; Joe Carr, Jethro, Butch Baldassari, Alan Bibey, Wayne Benson, Pete Martin, others have all published excellent books detailing solos and variations to fiddle tunes, bluegrass standards, other tunes, in their styles.

See your PM.

10. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Thanks so much everyone! What a great and friendly place this seems to be! I've spent a few hours over on the mandolessons.com website and it's pretty great.

What a lovely instrument! welcome and congrats!

I'll mention (as did someone else) that there are some things that only look like they're transferrable but aren't, and hand position is one of them. The angle of your hand and where on the finger tip you fret is different from guitar. Mandolin uses two frets per finger, where guitar is one ... And while you'll hear a lot about playing a "little guitar," mandolin is a separate instrument with its own techniques, advantages and disadvantages. But there are a lot of transferrable skills so you ought to be ahead of the game in any case. The journey is about to begin!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

If you want a good book that gives a taste of just about every style of music open to the mandolin, check out Don Julin's "Mandolin for Dummies." Don't let the title dissuade you any, this is an amazing, legit book that was my diving board when I first jumped into the mando-obsession 1 1/2 years ago! It will be the learning tool that will lead to many others!

Also, ditto the ArtistWorks school, if you're patient you might find them running deals around Thanksgiving time in the US (Black Friday / Cyber Monday specials).

15. The following members say thank you to trevdog for this post:

First congrats! It's a beauty!

Second, take the money you're gonna spend on books and online video lessons and hire a Skype teacher. Some of the very best players offer Skype instruction at rates comparable to the local music store, I Skype with Emory Lester. Listen to who you like and see if they offer individual instruction. You don't have to make a lifetime commitment, a few lessons will get you off on the right foot and you can decide if you want to continue.

Then, check out Mandolessons, Banjo Ben, Matt Flinner and others' offerings to add to your knowledge, it's a lifelong thing so settle in.

Last and most important...have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

17. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I'll second the suggestions for Matt Flinner's online classes. Wait for an entry level class and I promise you won't regret it.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

19. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Find a teacher, whether on-line or in person. Then get out and play with other folks. You can learn a lot from watching others in a jam or just sitting down with someone else (guitarist, another mandolin player, fiddle, etc.) and playing some tunes. Books alone are not going to do it.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

21. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Check out Pete Martin at pete@petimarpress.com for Skype lessons ! You will learn much faster and more importantly, correctly !

23. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

That's a great looking Mandolin! Learn to chuckle at yourself when you just can't seem to get the hang of it rather than get frustrated. If I do that I find myself wanting to pick it up more and more instead of less and less. I'm a pure rookie too, so I'm pulling for you and your new mandolin. I think y'all are gonna do great!

25. The following members say thank you to Payton for this post:

Nice ~ you'll have a lot of room to grow into that mandolin. Enjoy it in good health.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

27. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

www.mandozine.com has over a hundred tabedit files for mandolin. You have to install the tabeditviewer to open these files. There are tabedit files for classical, jazz, bluegrass, celtic, etc. Nice thing about the tabedit viewer is the program will, "Play" the music for you - I mean it is the computer speakers, but it informs the ear enough to get going.

Mandolincafe also has tabedit files. I think there are more at the mandozine, but then again, it may all be the same - don't know. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

29. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Blog Entries

I second Don Julin's book. Likely a percentage of what's in there will be obvious to you, (especially after he points it out!), but as good genre free place to start, it really can't be beat.

And the book won't be irrelevant down the road. I got a lot out of it and my first day at the rodeo was a while back.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

31. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

What a great first mandolin! Great suggestions here from the forum.

33. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

Iam looking into getting on of them Northfield mandolins, I have played 2 of them and they sound great, I was looking at the Collings and Weber but cost lot more cash, so I figured I could get one of the Northfields and save money for a couple of years and upgrade to a Collings later in life....the Northfield I played was the Big Mon and an Artist and wow did they sound amazing...you have a nice looking one their.

35. The following members say thank you to raycan2 for this post:

I couldn't be happier with this NF-FS5. The tone, the playability, the way it projects, sustains, and resonates. Granted, it's the first mandolin I've ever played, but I'm not new to acoustic guitar and I know what good tone is. This thing is wonderful. TRYING to play along with David Grisman on "Tone Poems" and my mandolin sounds every-bit as good as the ones he's playing, and I'm listening on a more than decent system.

Thanks so much for all of the help everyone. I really do appreciate every single suggestion. I'm getting better!!

Great

38. The following members say thank you to kathclapp for this post:

Just playing along with David Grisman is a cool thing....Northfield I bet sounds awesome...

40. The following members say thank you to raycan2 for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Beautiful mandolin, and some great advice above! You've come to the right place for all things mandolin. You'll be surprised at the friendliness and knowledge you find here from every type and level of player and from some great luthiers and builders as well. You'd be surprised at how many of us came to the mandolin after decades of guitar playing, just like you.

Welcome to the Cafe and have fun learning and playing with that mandolin!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

42. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I started to play in October and I'm absolute in love! I never played a stringed instrument before though , so everything was new to me. Don Julin's book is great. At the moment I enjoy a lot Jesper Rubner-Petersen's "The Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation". IT gives you a little homework to do at the end of every chapter, is entertaining to read and I'm learning a lot music theory for the mandolin. ....
    Enjoy your new addiction :-)

44. The following members say thank you to Malin for this post:

Malin, SW,

Mike Marshall teaches through Artistworks online, and I think that would be a good avenue if you aren't able to find a local teacher. He'll be able to give you videotaped feedback which is very nice. There are many, many student and teacher videos to choose from.

Best,
    David

46. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post: