Thread: White #5 is finally up and running.

Default White #5 is up and running.

Finished with #5! This was my first time working with varnish and there was a learning curve to say the least. The longer curing time took me by surprise, but I doubt that I'll ever go back to lacquer now that I've seen the differences in the final result. I was fortunate enough to have Solly Burton play it in a video. I'll attach a clip in the post.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6700.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	148077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6724contrastsmall.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	148076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6732small.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	148078
    Last edited by Jackson84; Jul-15-2016 at 5:33pm.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jackson84 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: White #5 is up and running.

Looks good and sounds great! Nice job on the finish too.

Jason

www.sloanmandolins.com
    "Long time listener, first time caller"....

Default Re: White #5 is up and running.

Thanks, Jason! It has a Carpathian top which is something that I was first turned on to by one of your mandolin videos. Such a great tone wood. Thanks for the influence!

5. The following members say thank you to Jackson84 for this post:

Default Re: White #5 is finally up and running.

IMO...it's one of the best tonewoods out there for mandolin tops. To me, there's a piano like clarity, very balanced and yet strong and loud. From what I understand, it's of the same species of red spruce.
    My first F5, a brown faced varnish finish, just gets better and better. A good friend of mine, who is an exceptional mandolin player, currently has that mandolin. We've made the agreement that I will get it back someday. He plays and gets out more than I do these days....I'm more focused on building with my free time. He lives about 3 hours away and I got a chance to play it again last month. I gotta get some new video clips of it....man it sounds good! I got away from varnish on my last 4 mandolins and went with satin lacquer, but I plan to finish my next batch with varnish/shellac french polish.
    Keep up the good work!
    "Long time listener, first time caller"....

What a great looking and sounding mandolin. I have seen your other builds here on the cafe and am most impressed with what you have been able to accomplish in your first five builds. Is this one going up for sale? Any plans to build an A model? Keep up the impressive efforts!

Very nice, looks and sounds great!

Blog Entries

Very NICE! You builders got it going on these days, its almost like some of the young-kid pickers, Wheaties, that explains it! Great mandolin, Love the ballgame tune.

Outstanding! Looks and sounds great. What type of oil varnish did you use? Did you brush it or spray it?
    I'm waiting for Epifanes high gloss to cure at the moment. I'm hoping to buff just the varnish and be able to skip the FP shellac top coat.
    Thanks

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Nice!
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

QUOTE=J.Sloan;1507178] "IMO...it's one of the best tonewoods out there for mandolin tops. To me, there's a piano like clarity, very balanced and yet strong and loud."

I've been having a difficult time describing to customers the distinct tone that seems to come from Carpathian, but what you said about it almost having a piano like quality was perfect. I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by SirLeoMann View Post
    What a great looking and sounding mandolin. I have seen your other builds here on the cafe and am most impressed with what you have been able to accomplish in your first five builds. Is this one going up for sale? Any plans to build an A model? Keep up the impressive efforts!
    Thank you! This one had actually been spoken for. I've been thinking about doing an A style, but it will probably be a few builds away.

Quote Originally Posted by sliebers View Post
    Outstanding! Looks and sounds great. What type of oil varnish did you use? Did you brush it or spray it?
    I'm waiting for Epifanes high gloss to cure at the moment. I'm hoping to buff just the varnish and be able to skip the FP shellac top coat.
    Thanks
    Thanks! I probably should have clarified that it was a spirit varnish. Much easier to use than oil varnish from what I've heard. The finish on mine was sprayed on. After sanding the shellac, the finish was buffed out so it basically received the same treatment as a lacquer finish. I have a lot of respect for those who can build a varnish finish up from the wood grain and do it by hand.

Wow! Very nice looking and sounding mando! Wish I was getting there on my builds as quickly as you have. The more I build I find the better things come to me but I'm still not there yet.