Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nashville

Default Re: Nashville

Go to Biscuit Love and get the Nasty Princess. (It's not on the menu, but it's the best thing they have - and everything is very good.) Open for breakfast and lunch. Expect a line at peak hours. Good luck with the hotel - the days when Nashville was a bargain weekend trip for me are over.

Default Re: Nashvile

Quote Originally Posted by re simmers View Post
    Sticker shock for rooms so far. According to the websites MOST downtown places charge to park. The ones that don't are in the $1500+ range for 4 nights. My wife has been checking the sites for about a week. One that was more reasonable has 3 reviews of cockroaches in July, 2016.
    We're still looking forward to our first vacation in 2 years. I'm open to more leads for walking distance of the good downtown places. Thanks.
    Unless the Best Western Plus, 1407 Division Street had the cockroaches, they just quoted me, over the phone a AAA rate of 230.00 a night plus $42.00 taxes and fees for a King from July 28th thru August 1st. No state income tax in TN so they got to make that up somewhere. That still puts you under $1200.00 for 4 days. My wife and I walked to Carters from there, the Ryman, Station Inn, and all the way downtown to the waterfront. I am 65+ and I can't tell you her age. . In the evening the round trip cab fare when we took in the show at the Ryman totaled $20.00. That included a 33% tip. We saw no cockroaches and enjoyed the place and the staff. It was clean and roomy. Helpful and friendly staff.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Do not, do not go to the music stores... I went to Nashville for the first time being completely happy with my Collings MT. Left Nashville scouring the web for Ellis, Duffs, and Kimbles.

4. The following members say thank you to Relio for this post:

Going to the Hotel Preston and will drive downtown.

6. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

Best food I've ever had in Nashville is from Husk. It's a little pricey, but excellent! It's basically elevated very traditional southern food. Lots of heirloom vegetables and other great stuff. It's also walking distance from downtown/The Ryman.

Husk Nashville
    1918 Gibson F4
    2016 Northfield NF-5S
    2017 Black Guitar Bodied Octave Mandolin #42

You could attend Monroe Mandolin Camp right smack in middle of south downtown Nashville....Sept 14-18...
    4 days with meals and housing for under $900. its pretty much a gift..
    There's a bucket list of Monroe and other mandolin related debauchery brought to you by the team of Mike Compton+Heidi Herzog + and friends..
    Last year was completely over the top..

NFI on my part...and not sure how many slots are still open...

http://monroemandolincamp.com/
    Thomas Quinn

I was passing through Nashville this weekend on my way to the Smokies and I had a great visit at Carter's yesterday morning. I have never seen so many high end mandolins in one place. Their main room would have been the high end room at any other store. I visited both rooms and played a new Gibson Fern, a 1918 F4 that was very clean and sounded great, a Kimble A, a 1982 Gilchrist, a 1980 Monteleone Grand Artist, and a 2014 Duff. I would have been happy to own any of them, and there was something I liked about all of them. I think my favorite was the Grand Artist, but it was close. I loved the Gilchrist and the Duff too. I had a nice jam with a young man who was astonishingly good on both guitar and mandolin. A great time, thanks to the nice folks at Carter's.

10. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

Good stuff! Thanks.

Is there anywhere to sit in on a jam session? Should I take an instrument?

If you're into Bill ..James is selling a bunch of his stuff...starts Thursday... https://www.estatesales.net/TN/Gallatin/37066/1213893

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    I was passing through Nashville this weekend on my way to the Smokies and I had a great visit at Carter's yesterday morning. I have never seen so many high end mandolins in one place. Their main room would have been the high end room at any other store. I visited both rooms and played a new Gibson Fern, a 1918 F4 that was very clean and sounded great, a Kimble A, a 1982 Gilchrist, a 1980 Monteleone Grand Artist, and a 2014 Duff. I would have been happy to own any of them, and there was something I liked about all of them. I think my favorite was the Grand Artist, but it was close. I loved the Gilchrist and the Duff too. I had a nice jam with a young man who was astonishingly good on both guitar and mandolin. A great time, thanks to the nice folks at Carter's.
    Yes. They are very nice. I was astonished by the main room. I was rally floored when one of the guys who worked there told me I needed to check out the vault.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

We had a great trip to Nashville. I recommend it. We stayed at the Hotel Preston, which was reasonable and good, except for the very loud drunks next door from 2-4 am on our last night.
    Went to The Factory and saw 4 fantastic bands. One was a Cajun band, The Revelers, a super band. The last band was Jeff White's bluegrass band. Excellent. One of the other bands had Grady Martin's sons on slide electric guitar and keyboard. A blues band had an electric guitarist name Tim Carroll, a first class musician.
    We saw Skaggs at the Ryman. I already posted that Skaggs put on a phenomenal show.
    We visited Gruhn's and Carter's. Gruhn's is my preference because I got to pick 2 Loars with George. I preferred the one with a Virzi - it didn't have as much volume, but had a beautiful tone.
    Also visited Andrew Jackson's place, Hermitage. I love history and could have spent all day there.
    We drove to The Station Inn, and following suggestions of others, we arrived early and looked for one of the few parking spots in the back. The stench from the outside dumpster was unbelievable, and 2 healthy rats were chasing each other between the dumpster and the back door. We opted not to stay. I'm sure the temperature had a lot to do with it.
    Much more to see. Looking forward to returning.
    Thanks for all the tips.
    re simmers