Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone kick me

Default Re: Someone kick me

Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    The 'made in China' made me disregard Northfields...until I became enlightened then bought one. Best thing I ever did.
    I've got a Northfield, like it better tonally than the Collings MF. The made in China tag is only a turn-off if you're thinking about products made by the thousands... these guys make 4 F5S's every 2 months, and the craftsmanship is very high quality. Great luthiers are everywhere in the world, and the wood comes from the northern US and Canada and is shipped over after years of seasoning. If you love the way it sounds and plays, that matters more than anything else. The value in the F5s is still far better than other competitors in the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by raycan2 View Post
    I understand that most thinks are made in China now a days but I am looking at it as if I want sell it later in life to get something else...I have played guitar for 30 yr. + and you can buy Ibenez guitars that are great but when you try to sell them or trade it in at the Local Guitar Center the first thing they say is "Oh is not American we can only give you Xxx amount" where if you try to sell a USA Fender or Martin the hold their value....that's what iam thinking or going with that.
    First mistake is "trade it in at the local Guitar Center." If they say they're lowballing you because something is "not American" I'd ask them to show me something in their dang store that is American. Point being, they'll always find an excuse to lowball.

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

much harder to make a decision than what my wife and I had picking names for my 3boys
    A bit off topic but Weber, Gibson and Collings would be great names for boys.

BJ

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJ O'Day For This Useful Post:

Again i am just an engeneer by trade you can tell by my spelling, I just want to get something I would enjoy, I might be overthinking get it.

A forum like this isn't here to make up your mind, it's here for people to share their advice (and inevitably, their bias). You are certainly overthinking it. The instruments you played at the store excited you. Buy the one that excited you most. The worry over re-sale value is a bit pointless; you'll almost always take a hit when selling on. But if, for example, you bought a Northfield for about $3000, played it every day (without beating it up) and sold it five years down the line, you might 'lose' $500 or $600. Two bucks a week is not much of a price to pay for the use of a great instrument. Even if you lose $1000 it only works out at $4 a week in depreciation.

7. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Blog Entries

Again i am just an engeneer by trade you can tell by my spelling, I just want to get something I would enjoy, I might be overthinking get it.
    So here is something to keep in mind. I made this point in a similar thread:

One - you will, no matter what you chose, have some regret about what you didn't chose. So choosing "the one" on the basis of always being satisfied that you made the right decision and never having regret - ain't gonna happen.

Two - lots of good choices, any one of which could well make you happy for the rest of your life.

Three - hey, its not like this is the last mandolin you are ever going to buy. I bought the last mandolin I was ever going to buy about four mandolins ago.

Get on to the fun part, pick one and play it. Lets get on to arguments about pinky planting and making great tone and such.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

mtmTimbofood 

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    The worry over re-sale value is a bit pointless; you'll almost always take a hit when selling on. But if, for example, you bought a Northfield for about $3000, played it every day (without beating it up) and sold it five years down the line, you might 'lose' $500 or $600. Two bucks a week is not much of a price to pay for the use of a great instrument. Even if you lose $1000 it only works out at $4 a week in depreciation.
    If you buy "gently used" at a 20-30% discount from new, you may even be able to sell at a break-even, more or less.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

raycan2 - You only have to do a search on the Cafe for ''Northfield'' & you'll throw up lots of totally positive threads / posts regarding them. Several top US players play them as their go-to instrument,they're that good.
    As for ''made in China'' so were many of the most incredible works of art that folk pay fortunes for.The Chinese as a people, have a very,very long tradition as incredibly skilled craftsmen. Those skills haven't vanished,although they might have been put on the back burner during China's 'bad years' - but they're back !!. We must remember that Japan was once known as a source of very poor quality products, produced in their millions during that country's post-war comeback. I doubt that we'd turn down any
    quality produce made by Japan these days, & so it is with the high quality products now coming from China.
    Put any prejudice away ( i understand it ) & try a Northfield (or 10) out,you just might like it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

During the time you have been debating which one to buy, you could have been playing the one you liked best. Playing beats debating any day.

There's not a bad choice in the bunch. Check them out again, buy the one you like best, get on with the fun part (the playing). It really is that simple.

I don't know of many other (relatively minor) purchases in life that get debated to the extent that people debate buying musical instruments (not just mandolins, either). I also know of very few purchases in life that give such pleasure for such a long time. Talk about lots of bang for the buck! Just do it!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

14. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

There are at least two other threads like this one of members agonizing over a decision to purchase their next mandolin. In all three the OP lists possible choices and the responders all suggest additional choices (their favorites). Just saying...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I just want to get the most for my $...
    The one thing more valuable than $$$ is time of your life. Any minute of hesitation is time money won't buy back in the end. If they are all good toss a coin (that's not worse than strangers' opinions when it's about your personal preference) and just play whatever you chose. The instrument chooses the player, let it happen and don't look back wondering "what if".
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Most engineers I know, spell quite well, what kind of engineer are you? Not being snide, simply curious.
    Just make a choice, do not overthink about tomorrow and resale, it's just going to make life difficult.
    When you make your decision, enjoy it and be happy?
    Bertram is right! The more you agonize, the more time you are not enjoying playing!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Huh? How many engineers don't know how to spell the word 'engineer'? Seems strange. And yes, you are probably over-thinking this decision. Buy something; enjoy it.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    How many engineers don't know how to spell the word 'engineer'?
    There's a stereotype market, apparently, to console people who are bad at math. Someone had to come and make it real.

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

lenf12sblock 

If you're in the price range of a Northfield F, I'd save a bit longer and get a used Ellis or Kimble A. I've never played a bad Collings. I've played a lot of Webers and Northfields I did not like. I've only played one Gibson I liked, but it was $22,000. Just my experience.. .

Well...

Forgetting all the "country of origin" stuff, and going back to the original issue of biggest tonal bang for the buck, within the stated price range.....

I have to say that a Pava player-- used or new-- is one hell of a lot of mandolin for the price.

Sidenote regarding spelling...

I have a close family member who is quite literally a genius when it comes to math and mechanical/industrial engineering and he can't spell worth a darn.

As for the debate over agonizing a purchase...I advocate thinking long and hard about buying a mandolin. I think it makes them that much more special when you DO get them. You know that's it's 'the one". That it was a great buy...That it's destined to be yours. I have agonized over several purchases and only buy with thinking it through. If it's one I just want to try out, I've been sure to only pick out ones with a great resale, like I bought my Northfield the week before the price jump. I bought my KM950 when they came out because I researched and knew it'd be a good buy and sell easily.

Immediately upon playing my Collings I knew I had to have it so I got it. It wasn't the most affordable MT2 preowned, but I wanted THAT one and I'll never sell it. Same is true for the Gibson. When making a lifetime purchase cost isn't the biggest factor... but when getting one you plan on selling down the road, resale DOES matter. I'm glad I had my kentucky km950... It meant I could play a decent mandolin while moving up in ranks and sell at the same cost later since they now sell for more. Same goes for my Northfield. There's nothing wrong with research. It's a very fun part of the journey. If I just went around buying mandolins willy nilly then I wouldn't appreciate them as much. On the flip side, hearing the advice from Cafe patrons helped me buy mandolins I otherwise wouldn't have, and I'm grateful for that too! If you love one, buy it!

Anyways... I digress.

Good luck to the OP. Enjoy the ride!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9lbShellhamer For This Useful Post:

A gentle brag here..
    I had been playing guitar since high school when I was sort of forced into playing the mando, (a story for another time). I had a mid-teens Gibson A1 that was sweet sounding and good to start with. Some years later I'm thinking there has to be a mando with more tone, etc. At that time there were few places in the whole SF bay area that had any mandolins at all but I kept venturing out trying various instruments. After 3-4 years of searching I got the call from Dexter Johnson that he had this A3 by Stephen Gilchrist waiting to be picked up by its new owner & I should try it out. Once I played the mando it was all over, I had to order one. It cost in 1992 the princely sum of $2000.00 which only Devine Providence allowed for me to order. I agonized over my decision while waiting for the build to be delivered and when I first got it in my hands I knew I had a mandolin for life. Imagine the surprise some 15 years later when a friend tells me how much the value had increased. I'll never sell it, even if I have to live under a bridge somewhere! Get what you love.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BJ O'Day View Post
    A bit off topic but Weber, Gibson and Collings would be great names for boys.

BJ
    You are correct. Very manly also. With a very, wealthy, Old South touch. If anything, Collings would be the mama's boy.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Buy one of each you need and deserve it.
    Right you are! I recall when mulling over my most recent purchase of a Weber River F, hearing a voice that said, "You can't even put a kid through a year of college with that money."

I picked up the phone and called the guy I had spoken to in the vault. Done.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The one thing more valuable than $$$ is time of your life. Any minute of hesitation is time money won't buy back in the end. If they are all good toss a coin (that's not worse than strangers' opinions when it's about your personal preference) and just play whatever you chose. The instrument chooses the player, let it happen and don't look back wondering "what if".
    My wife used the analogy of buying a horse, which she had done in the past. "Billy, you will never have to pay for board, brush it, saddle it, feed it or clean its stall. All you need to do is play it."
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I've asked to be kicked too... Still no decision for me either.

Oh I have no hurry, I just found out yesterday they are doing surgery next Wednesday on my right shoulder after my Mnt bike accident on my birthday on July2nd...I forgot I was turning 45 and was feeling 18 when I come off the jump at Park City....now the smell of Ben Gay and all the medicine I am on remind me iam not 18 but 45yr. Old...not mention getting out of bed in the morning.

It is true about when you find the mandolin(s) you love playing - I love playing my Pava and my Weber - I never plan to give them up.

I wish I had bought a very early "Halsey"!
    Coulda, shoulda....
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett