Thread: Furthest you've backpacked hanging onto a full-sized mandolin

Default Furthest you've backpacked hanging onto a full-sized mandolin

My wife and I are backpacking up to a few lakes in the Marble Mountains of northern Calif. for a few days, about a five mile hike up to about 6000 feet. I'm toting my mandolin in its case. What's the furthest you've lugged a mando?

I need to hear it echoing off some granite wall.

Default Re: Furthest you've backpacked hanging onto a full-sized mandolin

I did a 5 day backpacking trip in the Wallowas with a Flatiron Pancake. Had a really burly day, must have been like 12 miles or so with a full pack over 2 mountain passes. Would not bring it again under those conditions. Have lugged a mandolin to Thailand, bought one in Vietnam and lugged it around there, brought one to St. Croix.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Findley View Post
    ... What's the furthest you've lugged a mando? ...
    Total of 18 miles (28 km) at about three miles (4.8 km) per day for 6 days straight. It was easy terrain though, and not high elevation, so it wasn't a big deal, plus I was much younger then. I did that once a year for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Findley View Post
    ... I need to hear it echoing off some granite wall.
    That natural reverb sound can be quite nice. I used to also hike in to remote man-made tunnels just to explore the acoustics (although I didn't mess with natural caves, afraid of more big rocks falling off the ceiling if I hit the wrong frequency or something). I can't hike anymore but a few years back I got myself a Roland amp (w/headphones) with some dials I can turn to get back some of that nice sound for everyday practice at home. Whatever the source, good sound definitely inspires a person musically.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Jul-12-2016 at 8:40am. Reason: Added metric (km) conversion.

5. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

My wife and I thru-hiked the AT (and "most" of the PCT...a high snow year required some creativity)

I just got back from the Grayson Highlands last week. Did a week around Mt Rogers. We did about 15-20 miles per day. I've got total back weight down to barely nothing, with a tent that's only 2.5 pounds, and my summer bag is a western mountaineering that weighs only 16oz. Point being, the extra 3 lbs of mandolin still keeps total weight down to around 25lbs with a full 4 nights 5 days worth of food.

Have fun! Sounds awesome.

I brought along a Kentucky KM-160 and have a gig bag for it. It still fits under the pack cover if it rains, but i double bag the case in a compactor bag if it starts raining.

Here's a pic from Grayson last week! On top of Mt Rogers we had great weather and got to the summit early enough to pick and sing for a few hours! It was a great night!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	148002
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

7. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

I like that scene in "Wild" with Reese Witherspoon where the experienced hiker goes through her pack and shows her how to get by with less......throwing two thirds of her stuff out and tearing books in half to save weight. Good movie. Not sure what you can "tear off" a mandolin to save weight......pickguard, tone gard, armrest, tuner, hardshell case???

Sounds like fun!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I'll be taking a mando down the Green River in August. About a 80 mile float, won't be carrying it though, that is what the canoe is for.

11. The following members say thank you to ziapack for this post:

Blog Entries

My son backpacked with the first and then the second mandolins I made to South America and Southeast Asia. I have a picture of him playing another of my instruments in Cambodia. So I'm an international maker!

Other than the fact that in the Cambodian heat and humidity the mistakes I made with the neck joint came all undone, I'd be quite proud.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem