Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1500-$2500 mandolin recommendations?

Default $1500-$2500 mandolin recommendations?

I'm looking for a new mandolin, preferably an F5, within the $1500-$2500 price range. Anything I should look for or avoid?

Default Re: $1500-$2500 mandolin recommendations?

If you are willing to go for an a style, I recommend a collings, either a used mt or mt2. If you want to keep on the lower end of price I really liked my Morris f5

In your price range the choices are pretty slim for new. I would look at Kentucky 1050 and 1500, or Eastman 815. To get into USA made you have to go up to 3000 (Lafferty, Weber Gallatin). You might find a Ratliff Country Boy in that range too. If you're willing to go used your choices open up a bit broader.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Used Nashville made flatiron festival, or used gibson F-5 G.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

At the low end of your range, if you want American, I would go with Breedlove, unless you don't like the modern looks. At the high end, you have lots of options: new Collings MT, new Weber Gallatin, used Weber Bitterroot, used Gibson F-9. In the Cafe Classifieds, there often will be used instruments from smaller builders (e.g., Bulldog) whose instruments aren't carried in stores.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    In your price range the choices are pretty slim for new. I would look at Kentucky 1050 and 1500, or Eastman 815. To get into USA made you have to go up to 3000 (Lafferty, Weber Gallatin). You might find a Ratliff Country Boy in that range too. If you're willing to go used your choices open up a bit broader.
    Not completely correct. There are a few great US luthiers that can build you a great mandolin in the $2 +/- .5 k range. Tom "TJ" Jessen is one. Sonny Morris is another. I have instruments built by each. You can find some more here.

Gibson F9s can be found in that range as well as 1999-2002 Flatiron F5s if you are looking for a good F5. Collings MT2s fit in that range as well as Pava A5s. These are prices for used instruments.

8. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Not completely correct. There are a few great US luthiers that can build you a great mandolin in the $2 +/- .5 k range. Tom "TJ" Jessen is one. Sonny Morris is another. I have instruments built by each. You can find some more here.
    I absolutely agree. There are several American luthiers making quality instruments in this price range and Sonny Morris is very near the top of that list.

I'd buy this F-9 before it's gone.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/100255#100255

My dad has a 2007 F-9 and it has tone and volume in spades.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

11. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

If I shared your needs and was located in the USA, I'd be watching for a Northfield NF-5S. They come up in the classifieds fairly frequently, usually within your price range.

Notice the OP said "I'm looking for a NEW mandolin, preferably an F-5, within the $1500-$2500 price range." (Emphasis mine.)

I did mention that being willing to buy used opens things up considerably. But he did not ask about used. He asked about new. The only thing I did not cover were small makers Mandobart mentioned.

With all due respect to those who mentioned what great bargains can be found with used Flatirons, F-9s, Nothfields, and so on, that is not what he asked for.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

14. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Notice the OP said "I'm looking for a NEW mandolin, preferably an F-5, within the $1500-$2500 price range." (Emphasis mine.)

I did mention that being willing to buy used opens things up considerably. But he did not ask about used. He asked about new. The only thing I did not cover were small makers Mandobart mentioned.

With all due respect to those who mentioned what great bargains can be found with used Flatirons, F-9s, Nothfields, and so on, that is not what he asked for.
    Thanks for your kind effort to put all of us silly people right, but to many buyers 'new' means 'new to me' - not necessarily brand new. 'New mando day' is a popular theme - but it doesn't mean 'brand new mando day'.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Yes, I do take what folks say at face value. My interpretation of the question was quite literal.

And of course we don't know whether our suggestions, including the ones about used choices, are doing any good at all. In a situation strangely familiar of others from the past, we have an OP who is a new member, has posted only once, just to ask this question, and has not returned for any comment on our discussion whatsoever. Nor has he posted to any other threads or started any other threads. It would be nice if he would join back in to the discussion just so we know this is legit.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Yes, I do take what folks say at face value. My interpretation of the question was quite literal.

And of course we don't know whether our suggestions, including the ones about used choices, are doing any good at all. In a situation strangely familiar of others from the past, we have an OP who is a new member, has posted only once, just to ask this question, and has not returned for any comment on our discussion whatsoever. Nor has he posted to any other threads or started any other threads. It would be nice if he would join back in to the discussion just so we know this is legit.
    He posted last night. Perhaps he is asleep and hasn't seen the comments that came in during the wee hours.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

I just bought a guitar from June Mandolins. It was the most amazing instrument I have ever seen. I ordered it on the strength of his mandolins. If it wasn't for an up coming eye surgery I would have one of his Mandolins as well>

A Collings MT2 is not an F but it's going to be stronger than nearly anything else it goes up against in that price range, especially an F.

If you have to have an F I'd look at a used David Harvey Gibson F9, or one that you've played before buying.

OR, a used Collings MF for $3K.

Northfields are great, they don't cut as well in a jam, but they are more resonant and I miss playing mine at home, but the finish definitely worried me. They sound really good at home though.

I really can't believe any Collings MT2 doesn't sell the day it posts. They really are the best value in the Mandolin world... now if you aren't into the tone, then I guess it's not, but seriously. I have bought and sold many mandolins trying to find something "better" than my Collings MT2 and the only thing that crushed it was a Heiden A5. (Below $10K.)

I really like Pava as do many others here. You could find a new Pava in that range, as well as a new Collings MT.

I didn't really suggest any "NEW" F styles because in that price range your BEST picks are used, but for a new F style, the only one I know personally is a KM1050 from The Mandolin Store, but it's not going to be as good as the Collings or the Pava. The fit and finish on the Kentucky is REALLY great, but the tone and volume left me wanting more.

If you HAVE to have an F, and don't mind spending less, you should check out an Eastman 315. That's what I'd get if it HAD to be an F style under $1500 new. Just make sure it's from a good seller who sets it up.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

I know this may be leaning toward an F-style, but I bought Pava #19 a few weeks ago, and I honestly couldn't be happier. I used it on a session a couple of weeks ago, and was blown away. You could get a used one in that price range or a new Satin model in that price range.
    TKD Falcon F5

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I've been in talks with bulldog mandolins made in usa and you can get one made for you at that price, I'm actually saving for one now
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Bulldogs are wonderful!!!!!!!!!
    TKD Falcon F5

In that range, I would definitely call Walter Johnson of June mandolins. He could probably build you an F5 for under $2500 if you are willing to forgo binding (I think his new, fully bound F5 is over $3k). I have owned 2 June mandolins, one A5 and one F5, both have been very, very good, not "good for the price" but just very good. I have also been to his shop several times. He builds everything fully by hand, no CNC machines, everything is really hand carved.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

If you would consider a used mandolin, there is a 2001 Flatiron Festival F5 in the classifieds for a fair price. They can be very good from that era. Charlie Derrington, Danny Roberts and Sim Daley were there among others. The Flatiron's were built basically the same as the Gibson F5G's on the same benches and by the same luthiers. They even have a Gibson Master Model label inside. You can get the festival for $500-$1000 less than a F5G. I own a 2001 Flatiron Festival and it is a terrific mandolin.

Northfield hands down

Still waiting for Kyle, the OP, to come back. He has not posted anything anywhere here since posting this, his first and only thread.

Something about this just doesn't seem right.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I would definitely go A-style if you are concerned about tone and volume you will get much more for your money in A-style. If you are concerned about scrolls you will not get much else in that price range.
    Collings MT & MT2 are hard to beat same goes for the Pava, Summit, and older Flatirons. I would stay away from Breedlove, and Weber.
    I say that because i live very close to elderly instruments and a play mandolins there a lot. And generally speaking I think the Webers and Breedloves are the worse sounding and playing mandolins in there. None of them are anything to speak of against a Collings, Pava, Northfield, and a slew of handmade mando's in there.

Hello Jr.! Seeing my signature, you can imagine why I have to chime in and defend Webers!

I love the tone of my Webers, and so do many other of their fans here. I too have visited Elderly and played Pava, Collings, and others. Still prefer my Webers. That being said, tone is such a subjective thing. I would not discourage anybody from trying anything. The OP should be the one to make the decision about what he likes. Just because I was underwhelmed with the Pavas I tried, I would never recommend they "stay away". I'm sure Pavas float somebody's boat, just not mine.

That also being said, we may be giving advice to a ghost. The OP has seemingly vanished from this thread, and the Cafe' in general.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A