Thread: Ukulele Mandolin for Backpacking and Camping

Blog Entries

Default Ukulele Mandolin for Backpacking and Camping

Retuning a ukulele to mandolin tuning, GDAE, is not a new idea. However, the availability of an all plastic ukulele and restringing it like a mandolin can make a useful ultralight and durable backpacking and camping friend.
    The Makala Waterman Ukulele Series by Kala was inspired by the 1950 Maccaferri ukulele and was created with a focus for the outdoor enthusiast. This soprano sized ukulele is made out of a high-grade polycarbonate construction with nickel-plated open gear tuners and, therefore, it is water resistant and highly affordable at <$60 (Amazon). By replacing the strings using Aquila 30U Ukulele SOPRANO (Amazon) which are designed for Violin/Mandolin Fifths Tuning - GDAE (w/ wound G-string), one can have an instrument that can be played like a mandolin.
    OK, there are only four strings as compared to 8 on a mandolin and the fret spacing is a little different and the string separation is larger and the tone is poorer with a plastic resonance chamber and it is not loud and, and, and it isn’t a real mandolin. With all these deficiencies, one would ask, why bother???? However, with a little practice and a camp fire at your feet, you can make wonderful music in the woods and not worry about your instrument in the rain or its weight on your back. My wife plays real Ukulele (GCEA tuning) and we have a grand old time playing our Watermans together. A final note, the “E” string supplied in this Aquila 30U set is a little thin and can easily break but you can replace this string using 25 Lb test nylon fishing line.

Default Re: Ukulele Mandolin for Backpacking and Camping

Marting Back Pack mandolin proved itself very rugged, in the same series they also Made a Uke.

Unlike regular ones the neck is not Glued on the neck and sides are the same piece , the Heel Block is what is glued on
    as are the top and Back..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm buying a hand-made back pack mandolin from David Hynds for a very reasonable price (a few hundred Euro). I'll let you know what it sounds like. My purpose in having it is just as you say, something I can carry with me everywhere I go.

I know he built 5 of them when he made mine. He sent me a picture of them all lined up. Might still be one left available.

Quote Originally Posted by pfskate View Post
    ... therefore, it is water resistant

I have one of these - not tuned it to GDAE yet, (but will be doing soon), but I can confirm it's water resistant as the 'Ukulele & Watering Can" clip below illustrates.

I bought the transparent one, as I liked the idea of a 'Stealth' Ukulele

Colin Bakewell

Fluke Ukes http://www.magicfluke.com/

Note fretboard upgrade to metal frets, recommended if playing with wound strings .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Got my backpack mandolin from David Hynds in the mail today. Tiny thing, smaller than a ukulele. Smells heavily of varnish and it is a little bit sticky yet. Has great sustain. I was kind of amazed at that, given the size of the sound box. 10/10. Would buy again. With or without rice.

Pictures? link to David Hynds' website to show everyone?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by RodCH View Post
    Got my backpack mandolin from David Hynds in the mail today. Tiny thing, smaller than a ukulele. Smells heavily of varnish and it is a little bit sticky yet. Has great sustain. I was kind of amazed at that, given the size of the sound box. 10/10. Would buy again. With or without rice.
    This one? Pocket mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket01.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	147977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket02.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	147978 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket03.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	147979

I do understand if you are truly backpacking, but mandolins are the same general size as uke (except for the real tiny ones) so why not just take a cheapo mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1