Thread: Finishing, finishing and more finishing

Blog Entries

Default Finishing, finishing and more finishing

OK, it's been two years and change, but I finally made it back to the shop, and dived into the instruments piled there in pieces. I've started with my least favorite thing: (re-)finishing. But as always when I'm finishing, I am into something I don't understand and need some help (or maybe just reassurance).

I'm refinishing the back of the pot of my old banjo. It's a one-piece back, convex, of course. Before I started refinishing--and I don't know what the manufacturer used for finish--there was an area (circa a player's belt buckle) which looked like it had the finish worn off. So, since it looked like that, I figured it was that. But now that I've progressed through the sandpaper grits--60, 80, 120, 220, 320, 400--I find that that one part is still rough. Nothing I do makes it worse, and nothing makes it better. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a wood grain problem, not a sanding or finishing problem.

Here are some pictures that might help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banjo wood grain #1--20160705_193132 [203094].png 
Views:	261 
Size:	405.8 KB 
ID:	147817

Name:	Banjo Wood Grain #2--20160705_193123 [203095].png 
Views:	265 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	147818

I should note that since I'm doing a French Polish, this is step 2--pumice. So the dullness and scratches are appropriate. But this one rough part indicated by arrows--it's about the size of the palm of your hand, and everything around it is smooth and takes the finish well.

Just to be clear, the question is: are there just places in a piece of wood where the grain is such that it can't be smoothed? I can imagine that this might be particularly true with wood cut or fashioned at an angle to the grain as this convex piece must inevitably have been.

As always, many thanks for your kind advice and comment.

--Brad

PS: Oh, and I guess the OTHER question is: is there anything that can be done about it, or do I just need to accept that that part is going to be a bit different texture than the rest?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: Finishing, finishing and more finishing

It looks to me as if there's pore filler in the surrounding areas, but not in the area that's giving you problems. You'll need to fill that open grain with something before your topcoat starts to look nice and level.

Hey Brad. Hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miller View Post
    It looks to me as if there's pore filler in the surrounding areas, but not in the area that's giving you problems. You'll need to fill that open grain with something before your topcoat starts to look nice and level.
    +1. You need to fill those pores with something. You could spray a couple thicker coats of shellac, let them sit a week, and then level sand. That may do the trick, it doesn't look too bad. But finish is probably wicking into those open mahogany pores and with the thin mix you use for FP, it would take ages to fill. You could also make a pumice slurry with a thicker shellac cut, let it sit on there for a few days, and then level sand again.

One of the reasons I like the modern waterborne varnishes like Enduro-Var is that problems like this are virtually nonexistent. They shrink an order of magnitude less than traditional solvent-based finishes. The seal coat works as a pore filler, even on mahogany and wenge. Since last we talked, I have given up on FP except as a polishing step to gloss up finishes on old instruments or over repairs. It's simply too time consuming for new builds or complete refinishes. If you want to do FP, I'd recommend spraying 5-7 coats of shellac and letting them fully cure (a couple weeks at least) before level sanding and beginning FP.

4. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi, Marty. Great to hear from you. Glad you're still around while I've been off doing this and that. I love the pix of the new mandos.

I'm still doing FP for a couple of reasons. One, I like the look of the only fine finish I've ever succeeded with. Two, since I'm not doing this commercially, I have the time. Three, I actually like the fact that it takes lots of relatively short sessions with waiting periods between. It kind of leavens out my normal impatience.

I want to avoid spraying if I can. What pound cut of Shellac do you think I should use?

Would clear epoxy work to fill the pores, if I only did this in this area? Remember I'm FP-ing over it.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Hi, Marty. Great to hear from you. Glad you're still around while I've been off doing this and that. I love the pix of the new mandos.

I'm still doing FP for a couple of reasons. One, I like the look of the only fine finish I've ever succeeded with. Two, since I'm not doing this commercially, I have the time. Three, I actually like the fact that it takes lots of relatively short sessions with waiting periods between. It kind of leavens out my normal impatience.

I want to avoid spraying if I can. What pound cut of Shellac do you think I should use?

Would clear epoxy work to fill the pores, if I only did this in this area? Remember I'm FP-ing over it.
    I'd make the shellac with high solids content and brush it on that area, then. I'd start with a 2- or 3-pound cut. The heavier the cut, the less time it will take to offgas, but it won't soak in as far to those pores, so there does need to be a balance. I think you will have problems feathering epoxy in this area, and the epoxy won't stick much with the finish and traces of lubricating oil already there. Thin CA glue could work and would be faster. But whenever you switch materials to fix a problem like this, you will see a difference in the final finish, so shellac is your best bet, in terms of finish appearance and not having the potential to make a horrifying mess.

Blog Entries

Could I use a lighter cut--2 lb or less--for the first few coats to get it to sink in, then a heavier coats on top of that to get it to even out with the surrounding areas?

Also, am I right that trying to aggressively sand everything down is a losing proposition? Not that I am going to do it, but just testing my intuition.
    belbein

If you use a wood filler,you might end up with an area of a different colour to it's surroundings. I'd mask off all of the back except for the area in question,& apply several thin coats of your finish to fill in the pores, & then sand the area level with the rest of the back.
    There's no reason at all why you couldn't sand the whole of the back to try & level it out - but just how deep do the pores go ?. That's an unknown factor & i think that your intuition is correct & is telling you that same thing.

Strangely,the first time i saw something like this was on my front door. Just under the main Yale lock,there's an area where paint simply won't stick for exactly the same reason - it needs the pores in the wood filling = no problem with coloured paint,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Minimum 2lb cut, slap it on thick, leave for 2 weeks, then level sand (you can wet sand just fine surprisingly).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    just how deep do the pores go
    Good point. I never thought of that.
    belbein

Blog Entries

Little update here ... will post pix later. I took the advice of the assembled multitudes and made a slurry out of shellac and pumice. The slurry wasn't quite 1:1 by volume, but it was close (the pumice content wasn't so high that it was syrupy, but it was just on the point of thickening. Say it was about as thick as Aunt Jemima's sugar free syrup). I spread that on the open-pored section by pouring it on and trying to really work it in with a spatula, working across the grain. My theory on working across the grain was the the grain would scrape the mixture off the spatula and deposit it in the open pores. After a couple of days, I tested it by touch: it was much less rough to the touch. I then diluted whatever that first mixture was with more shellac--probably an equal volume to what I had (I know, this is not very precise)--and I laid it on once more with a soft spatula. I tested it tonight: smooth as Glenlivet 50 neat. I'm sanding now from 100 down to 220 (so far); will go to 400 or so, then start FP on Sunday. Frankly, this is like magic: how can a volcanic rock make my wood smooth? Don't make no sense. But ... it works! [Knock on wood.]
    belbein

Maybe a few drops of that Glenlivet for the final French Polishwill would be a nice finishing touch. Of course the challenge will be to keep that same bottle of Glenlivet unemptied for later mandolin finishing conversations and memories.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

That looked like a dropfill application to me. Choose your fill, super glue, deft, whatever. French polish would take forever.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

My finish on Erhard F5-352 #3
    Erhard Handmade Instruments
    French Polish tech

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	986.0 KB 
ID:	149751

Name:	IMG_0936.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	728.6 KB 
ID:	149752

Name:	IMG_0937.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	149753

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	737.8 KB 
ID:	149754

Quote Originally Posted by Erhard Handmade Inst. View Post
    My finish on Erhard F5-352 #3
    Erhard Handmade Instruments
    French Polish tech
    Hang on now, this is supposed to be a family friendly forum. :-)

Great job.

16. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Thank you Marty!
    I dont understand this: (sorry my english is poor.)
    "Hang on now, this is supposed to be a family friendly forum"

Quote Originally Posted by Erhard Handmade Inst. View Post
    Thank you Marty!
    I dont understand this: (sorry my english is poor.)
    "Hang on now, this is supposed to be a family friendly forum"
    The short answer is that this is meant to be funny, and has no meaning you need to decode.

"Hang on" is an english expression meaning "wait", or in this case questioning (or at least drawing attention to) something someone else has just said. "Family friendly" is an expression meaning "appropriate for children", ie, containing no taboo content. I can't see anything risqué in your post, even when looking for a humourous double entendre, so I don't what the poster was getting at.
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s1m0n For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by s1m0n View Post
    The short answer is that this is meant to be funny, and has no meaning you need to decode.

"Hang on" is an english expression meaning "wait", or in this case questioning (or at least drawing attention to) something someone else has just said. "Family friendly" is an expression meaning "appropriate for children", ie, containing no taboo content. I can't see anything risqué in your post, even when looking for a humourous double entendre, so I don't what the poster was getting at.
    I was saying that the mandolin was very attractive. :-)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

I'll second that Marty. Erhard thats an amazing finish. Your French Polish technique is second to none.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

23. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I was saying that the mandolin was very attractive. :-)
    Thank you very much Marty!

Aunt Jemima's sugar free syrup???? You've got problems way beyond finishing!

It takes me about five or six 25 minute sessions to French polish an entire instrument- far less time than I spend setting up and cleaning the spray equipment. Yours is a technique issue, not a material issue. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/...unburst-finish

j.
    www.condino.com

26. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Erhard,

That's an interesting headstock inlay. Beautiful finish!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

28. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Thank you Mike. My logo "E" (Erhard) in the Tree silhouett Mother of pearl matherial.