Thread: Wiens mandolins

Default Wiens mandolins

Hi, I'm interested in some feedback from some Wiens mandolin owners.
    I can't seem to find but a couple videos on YouTube, I'd also love to hear from
    some owners that have really broken them in and explain how it withstood
    the test of time. He really does do beautiful work, I really hope some owners
    chime in here.
    Last edited by Demetrius; Jul-04-2016 at 9:41am.

Default Re: Wiens mandolins

Not an owner, but if you haven't done so would search for prior discussions. His business practices seem to have changed based on what I've seen online, but I'd still enter an order with some trepidation. Extremely talented luthier who's built some spectacular Loar copies. I know Dan B sings praise for his, which was featured in FB Journal. Hopefully some owners will chime in, and I truly hope he has righted his ship, so to speak!
    Chuck

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Here ya go...happy reading and hope you find what you're looking for!

Wiens mandolins mandolincafe.com
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I'm completely aware of all the things that took place on here regarding his business practice.
    I have no experience with Jamie, and I'm not gonna judge him.
    All I know is from what I've seen, he puts a lot of work into those
    mandolins.
    I literally just want know what some of owners think
    of their Wiens mandolins.

5. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

I own #30 from December, 2010 which I bought from Jamie after Tom Rozum traded it in on a newer one. It's a very nice mandolin, loud, clear, powerful, great note separation and tons of fun to play. Great fit and finish as one would expect. The transaction went smoothly, no problemo. No regrets on this one and no plans to sell anytime soon.

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

8. The following members say thank you to danb for this post:

hank 

I have two of Jamie's instruments. An F5, and a recently completed Piccolo, F5... They both are incredible instruments. I have played the F5 with Loars, Gilchrists, and Monteleones that I have owned, and it is a comparable instrument to all of them.... and a better fit and finish than any of them.

His work just gets better and better, and the sound from the F5 has improved over the last several years, although that is quite subjective. From day one, it sounded great, with great power, and sustain. Jamie has been great to deal with from my perspective, and whatever issues existed in the past, seem to have been just that.... issues of the past. He tried to bend over backwards for me with the delivery of the Piccolo, and really went the extra mile in what he was willing to do to get it into my hands, personally, from his hands....

In jam situations, there is often, the "what IS that mando ?" "it is Killer", "can you play a bit softer, you are drowning out the banjo"
    Can't speak more highly of his new, OR his older instruments, other than, they get better with age, and generally, with serial number....
    John D

There was a superb example of Jamie's work for sale in the Classified ads. a few weeks ago,being offered at an almost give away price. It did have the Gibson logo on the headstock. It's no longer there so it's either sold or it was removed from sale.
    Jamie's business has had it's ups & downs,but i think most folk would regard him as a great builder of terrific mandolin regardless of his past troubles. If i had the cash,i'd definitely investigate his work & his current output,his mandolins are very beautiful.
    This one would stop me dead in my tracks,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiens F5 Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	147801
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I made a trip over the hill to Gryphon Stringed Instruments a while ago to check out Wiens "Bench Copy". This mandolin was made to look exactly like a particular Loar including a slightly askew 'G' in the head-stock. The way he was able to recreate the look of the original from finish to wood grain was very cool. The label inside looked just like Loar's signature. Wear patterns, color, it was a beautiful mando. It had a very bright voice, lots of treble. Subsequently I communicated with Jamie and found him to be good guy. I would love to play others.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Very glad to hear that he's correcting some of the prior issues, and he's truly one of the most talented luthiers building right now. Dan, yours is phenomenal!
    Chuck

I'd love to see some videos and photos taken by the owners of these fine instruments...

You can check out pics of many of his mandolins in the mandozine archive site. He has a listing along with Gilchrist there. Many of the photos Jamie took himself and he is as talented with a camera as he is with a chisel.

15. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

Thought I would chime in. I own Wiens #41, purchased from Jamie after he advertised it on his website a few months back. It is an absolutely incredible instrument all around. Fit & finish, tone, & playability are all absolutely stellar. #41 incorporates some features from a '22 Loar he was able to study. I have been extremely fortunate to spend time with several Loars, and Jamie really has it dialed in. Working with Jamie was fantastic as well.

Photos are from Jamie's website

Name:	DSC_5749full-144x300.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	149131

Name:	DSC_5749.NEF_-218x300.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	149132

Name:	DSC_5754.NEF_-199x300.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	149133

Name:	DSC_5765.NEF_-173x300.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	149134

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to josh a For This Useful Post:

I commissioned and own Wiens #35. Since I can't improve on Jamie's own photos in Dan's Mandolin Archive, I'll just add the link:

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/wiens/serial/35

My experience with Jamie was excellent from the beginning, and I continue to hear from him three years after delivery. As others have testified, the details of design, fit, and finish are amazing, and the sound is what I wanted. Very responsive; it was set up perfectly when he sent it. It's my last mandolin. Highly recommended.
    Cornelius Morris

Cornelius - i just nearly dropped dead with envy ('not' jealousy). That is one incredibly beautiful mandolin. IMHO,Jamie has built some of the most beautiful looking mandolins that i've ever seen,& most likely ever will see. The depth of colour he gets on the bodies is incredible to say the least - having looked at the photos of yours,i really am lost for words.

OK - having praised it to the skies - can i borrow it,but only for a few years ?. ('in your dreams' i hear you say),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan,

Jamie's photos in the Archive induce that kind of reaction, but my favorite one of the back--which gets the color closest to what I see in front of me--is one he sent me when he had stained and sealed it: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3555[5].jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	149157

The figure in the spruce and maple is really something, even with my limited camera skills:

Name:	Figure.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	149158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underneck.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	149159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trebleside.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	149160

As for you borrowing it for a few years--can I get back to you on that?
    Cornelius Morris

21. The following members say thank you to Cornelius Morris for this post:

Beautiful craftsmanship. I went to the Wiens website. It is worth seeing, if you haven't done so already.

From Jeff Mando - "It is worth seeing, if you haven't done so already." It's not for those who suffer from severe MAS !. It was when i got around to thinking of Bank heists that i realised i had to stop looking !!!!!.

Josh - I'll apply a similar coating of praise for your Weins as well. A truly wonderful looking mandolin.

From Cornelius - "...can I get back to you on that ?" . When would that be exactly ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I've been in contact with Jamie to see if he'll build me a Wiens to my liking "well whats not to like right" I don't like the bigish V-neck or flatboard, I like a real small rounded neck radius board.He wants me to get some measurements of what I like and send to him. Just waiting on a few factors. I do think his attention to detail is the best! I do not mind waiting as long as it takes, I remember a few years ago on here that he was getting slammed by people because his builds took too long. Impatience is not good....

I have had nothing but great interactions with Jamie during the last several years. As I have said earlier, I have two of his creations, an "F5", and a Piccolo.... both are simply among the best you can find... for craftmanship, and voice. Bluegrasser78, you can't go wrong from my experience.
    John D

Hi All, I recently acquired Wiens #9. As expected the instrument is wonderful. But the real pleasure was interacting with Kevin Douglas, the proprietor of the Mandomutt Webstore. It doesn't matter what I purchased, it was the transaction that made it special, Thank you, Kevin!

27. The following members say thank you to Matt for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hi All, I recently acquired Wiens #9. As expected the instrument is wonderful. But the real pleasure was interacting with Kevin Douglas, the proprietor of the Mandomutt Webstore. It doesn't matter what I purchased, it was the transaction that made it special, Thank you, Kevin!
    And thank you for removing temptation from my sight, Matt. I feel like I've been eyeballing that mandolin since January, wondering if the price would drop. Now would anyone like to help with this beauty at Carter's?
    https://cartervintage.com/products/w...nt=31394812739
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I wonder why Carter Vintage lists this as 2012. It looks to me to be Wiens #37 (2013) as listed by Dan B. in the Mandolin Archive:http://www.mandolinarchive.com/wiens/serial/37

I own #35, one of only two Wiens mandolins from 2012 as listed in the archive, both of which have fern headstocks. Of the three 2013 mandolins, all with flowerpots, the pearl in the Carter example seems to match #37, although it's at a different angle from Dan's photos.
    Cornelius Morris

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I also believe it to be #37, formerly of Tom Rozum, which Jamie sold roughly a year ago: http://wiensmandolins.com/currently-...e-wiens-f5-37/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

There is no question that Jamie makes some drop dead gorgeous mandolins. His workmanship is impeccable.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.