Thread: Headstock finish issue

Default Headstock finish issue

I recently was asked to repair a damaged Fender acoustic (T-BUCKET™ 300CE) that had taken a fall and had the headstock broken off. It was a clean break and with the help of some "Friendly Plastic" and hot hide glue, went together quite nicely. There is quite a bit of damage to the finish on the faceplate of the headstock and a bit on the back of the neck at the break point and I'm pondering the best way to deal with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4212.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	147753

Name:	IMG_4210.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	147754

I have Stu Mac slow setting black epoxy but I have also recently heard that they make a black super glue as well. Would any of you with more experience in this give me your thoughts?

My current thinking is to use the epoxy for the headstock fill since it's a large, flat area, and somewhat deep but I'm not sure if it's the best thing for the smaller crack like on the back.

As always, your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Headstock finish issue

Seems like black super glue would be just the ticket for the back. Dan Erlewine gives a detailed procedure in his Trade Secrets newsletter number 161, available under Free Information on the Stew Mac Web site.

I don't think you can repair the front without it being obvious. Maybe a new veneer overlay?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

If you have a similar piece of veneer overlay, you could replace the section between the nut and the first two tuner holes, I would cut a straight line just below the design (inlay) going through the center of the first two tuner holes. Shouldn't be too obvious, if you can find something close in appearance.

Thanks for the advice. I'll order black super glue and use that for the back of the neck. Regarding the front, this is an inexpensive Chinese made Fender acoustic (still in production). It's a Fender T-Bucket-300 CE TBL model (list 299.00) and the faceplate is some non specific white wood with a heavy black finish, almost certainly some catalyzed polymer or other. That's what's making me think Black Epoxy for the front. It will fill in the "hole" from the missing finish but will almost certainly not match. The "inlay" on the top is actually a decal or something similar so I'm thinking I'll need to mask that in order to save it.

Name:	IMG_4215.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	147761

Regardless of whether I use epoxy or black super glue, I expect that the final issue will be matching the "sheen" of the original black. Perhaps French polish over everything?

I would remove the wood from the lower section and graft a new piece in, the sheen can be matched with a full coat of clear over the headstock.

http://www.mirwa.com.au/Cracked_Headstocks.html,

Page 3 has finish examples

Steve
    Last edited by mirwa; Jul-04-2016 at 8:19pm.

If the headstock 'inlay' is indeed a ''sticker',then new stickers can be bought here :- http://www.inlaysticker.com/
    If one of those would fit the bill,then a completely new headstock veneer could be fitted & finished & a totally invisible repair done,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.