Thread: Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Shippey A5

Default Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Shippey A5

This is my interpretation of John Reischman's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I made a recording of this tune a couple of years ago on a Kentucky KM 505, but wanted to re-record it using my Paul Shippey A5. I think that the technical aspects of the recording itself are better in this video (although I am still very much a novice when it comes to recording) and the chords I am using are truer to John's version. I was originally going to record this playing with a BlueChip TD 60, but had mislaid it (if you can believe that!) and decided to use a Dunlop Primetone Sculpted 1.5 instead, and thought that the finished result actually sounded better. #

What I found surprising (although probably should not have) is that in common with the instrument sounding different to the listener than to the player, the same seems to hold true regarding plectrum choice. I made three separate recorded using different plectra: a BlueChip, a Fender Tru-Shell and a Dunlop Primetone. Of these I thought that the Tru-Shell sounded the worst whilst playing, having rather a scratchy tone, but when I listened to the recordings it sounded much better.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, and any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rob Beck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Shippey A5

Nice go, Rob!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social