Thread: EM-200 Characteristics

Okay, maybe I'm getting a little obsessive about this, but the recent EM-200s on Ebay have got me investigating. Anybody know when the design change for the pickguard and tailpiece occured? Was it the same year?

The "'53 or '54" on EBay right now, as well as the 1959 on emando.com have a smaller tailpiece and the pickguard does not wrap around the pickup:
    '54 on Ebay

The '64s that Charles Johnson and Banana have, each have the larger tailpiece and wrap around pickguard. And the '65 and '66 on Ebay this week also.
    Charles Johnson '64
    Banana '64

So anybody know when the change occured?

Also, the knobs on the '54, would those be original? I've been confused for a long time about what "speed knobs" are. Are they the cone shaped ones, or the flat-sided ones?

Quote Originally Posted by (jefflester @ May 18 2005, 19:33)
    Also, the knobs on the '54, would those be original? I've been confused about what "speed knobs" are. Are they the cone shaped ones, or the flat-sided ones?
    'Cause from here:
    Gibson specs and serial number info
    it would seem to indicate that the straight sided "speed knobs" that appear in the '54 on Ebay would likely be original, as those were the standard '53 to '55 (about halfway down the page).

I have an early '54 EM-200, or so it's certified by Gruhn. That is the appropriate tailpiece and (speed) knobs. Love those knobs...

I looked again at the listing and the case doesn't look right. I have a rather nice rectangular case, pink inside as well. Maybe Gibson changed at some point? The newer ones also have the rectangular case with a yellow interior.

My '59 has a small pickguard and regular size tailpiece.