Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fender (casein?) Pick

Default Re: New Fender (casein?) Pick

Better get the extra heavy because of this warning:
    " Tru-Shell picks are not plastic. Do not attempt to flex; keep away from moisture."

so they're like 'Gremlins' Don't give them water... they stop being Cute.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

these kind of sound like (and look more like) Nutone picks, which i have some of but, um, can't find: http://www.steveclayton.com/premium.php
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Better get the extra heavy because of this warning:
    " Tru-Shell picks are not plastic. Do not attempt to flex; keep away from moisture."

so they're like 'Gremlins' Don't give them water... they stop being Cute.
    You will get the same warnings from any casein pick. And the thickness won't matter. I have heard reports of Red Bear heavy picks breaking or warping from too much moisture.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

My order from Fender arrived today. My micrometer indicates the 346 Shape extra heavies (at least this batch) are 0.059", or a skosh under 1.5 mm thick. Fender shipped me three different colors - bubble gum pink, grey-ish green, and a dull yellow that resembles the Dunlop Ultex color.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Just FYI, for those interested. I got one of each [M/H/XH] in the mail today.
    Measured thickness with Optical dial indicator; M= 1.0mm, H= 1.3mm, XH= 1.6mm

For comparison; a TS @ 1.2mm
    Red Bears @ 1.0mm and 1.2mm
    BC 60 is 1.55mm

THe Fenders will probably need a bit of polishing [as did the TS and Red Bears].

We'll see how they do.

M

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcj View Post
    The Fenders will probably need a bit of polishing
    how would you polish them?

I use nail boards of various grits [depending on whether reshaping or just polishing is needed].
    I'm talking fingernail foam backed boards….. they can be really useful in the shop for a variety of tasks including their designed intent.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    For $8 each, I'd be more likely to buy if I could choose a color instead of having a color randomly assigned. From Fender webpage:

Technically shouldn't matter, but... For me, I keep my fave picks at key locations all throughout the house, so they're almost part of the decor. Colors matter because colors affect mood and mood can affect creativity & inspiration to play. I can see 3 of my picks from where I'm sitting right now, and if they got changed into some color that I didn't fancy, I would be less likely to want to use them. If the ONLY color available in ANY brand of picks was, say, day-glo slime green so bright it was visible from space, well I guess we'd all just have to get used to it, but that is not the case. For me, the "random color" is a dealbreaker. If the picks were 10 cents each I'd buy 20 of them & throw away the ones I didn't like. But not at $8 each. Yes, I'm a cheapskate.

An aside, I'm not against Fender; I have one of their budget electric guitars & it's wonderful, well-made for the price, accurate fretboard, nice feel to the neck, easy to play. But I was able to choose a color there.

Heck yeah, color matters. Have you ever changed the color of the jewel on your amp power light? Amazing what a difference it makes.

9. The following members say thank you to barry for this post:

I used one of the new Fender picks (heavy gauge) in a concert this evening with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. I play mandola parts in the PMO on a liuto cantabile made by the late Walt Kuhlman (tuned CGDAE, scale length is 24 inches, strung with Thomastik). Sound was warm but very precise, loud, excellent projection and tone, with little or no pick noise. I would normally use a BC, Wegen, or McCray pick, but I thought the Fender was better, at least in the particular venue (a church). I will be ordering more.
    Robert A. Margo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Heck yeah, color matters. Have you ever changed the color of the jewel on your amp power light? Amazing what a difference it makes.
    Ha no but then I don't have the amp in front of me all the time, it sits off to the side and isn't in my field of vision unless I bend around a little bit to peer at it, heck half the time when I'm adjusting amp knobs I don't even look at the amp, I just go by feel (had that amp for a while, I know which knob does what lol). Besides, it has a pleasant-enough green light, looks fine the way it is.

Whereas my picks are not so easy to avoid looking at, there are picks in almost every room of the house, I have to look at them even if I haven't played in a week. Fortunately my wonderful significant other is tolerant of my musical interests and he has no particular preferences as to what color of picks I leave laying around (heck at first he seemed confused as to why I prefer blue kitchen sponges instead of garish ugly orange ones that clash with everything lol), as I am tolerant of his penchant for collecting 1940s+ cars (of varying colors and varying degree of completion or lack thereof).

My *mixer* light (musical mixer, *not* something you bake cakes with) I *do* have within view when playing, in fact I use it as a handy volume control for the laptop as well so it's always within view anytime I'm using my computer, but the mixer has the same pleasant green light as the amp (also red signal-level lights) so it's cool the way it is.

However, not too fond of garishly bright *blue* LED lights, if we ever acquired such a thing I probably *would* be tempted to change it (glue on a candy wrapper or something, dunno, would have to experiment).
    Last edited by Jess L.; Jun-19-2016 at 12:40am. Reason: Fix typo.

Red Bear picks are junk in my not so humble opinion. Not to mention the terrible customer service. I had too many break under normal conditions. Blue Chip and Wegen are my go to picks with the BC getting 98% of my playing time. At least the Fender picks are priced so you don't lose a ton of $$ when they break.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    ... At least the Fender picks are priced so you don't lose a ton of $$ when they break.
    Well, yeah, compared to BC or something, but... $8 is still $8...

Maybe my ear just can't tell the difference but I prefer 50-cent guitar picks from the nearest music store.

It could be that I'm used to them and have adapted my playing to match those picks' characteristics.

I have tried a few other types many years ago, nothing expensive though, always went back to the regular ol' standard guitar picks as being the easiest to play, less pick noise, etc.

Although in the old days I always used the heavy version (with extra-heavy strings on all my instruments). Whereas now, medium gauge picks seem better for the light-gauge strings I use nowadays. Never did use light gauge *picks*, can't stand a pick that flexes that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From their ad. - "...replicate the highly desired, unique sound of..". I have a real pre-ban shell pick - ''unique sound'' ? = yes. It sounds like a cat with it's head in a Hoover . Highly desired ? = Yes,i'f you're well into aural torture as a passtime. (That could describe my playing,but we won't go into that !).
    I'd describe the tone i get from the shell pick as 'excruciating'. The mere though of having a pick that might replicate that tone is really scary,
    Ivan
    When I uploaded a pick comparison of TS to modern synthetics here (no link, search for it if you really want), I came to the conclusion that it's pick shape and polish much more than material that makes the difference. In the end I came down marginally in favour of Ultex over TS. My interest really was to compare picks that were used "back in day" and see how their tone compared to modern materials... I was actually quite surprised at how well the vintage pick did... but not enough to want to actually use one, or a synthetic recreation.

From your description, I suspect the pick you tried was overly-pointy, and/or not well polished/shaped?

16. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Red Bear picks are junk in my not so humble opinion. Not to mention the terrible customer service. I had too many break under normal conditions. Blue Chip and Wegen are my go to picks with the BC getting 98% of my playing time. At least the Fender picks are priced so you don't lose a ton of $$ when they break.
    Red Bears seem to work well enough for John Reischman. I use a heavily modded Red Bear as my main pick (about 90% of my playing). It's a C-HVY. I have heard previous complaints about breakage. Maybe it's related to thickness? I've had mine for a few years now and it's held up extremely well. All that said, I am very impressed with these new Fenders. I haven't touched my Red Bear since the TruShell arrived.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

I got my order today and am very pleased with the Fender picks. For the price they compare very favorably with any of the more expensive picks made of similar materials, and I like the way they sound, feel and play. Mine came in yellow, and 3 various shades of dull red.

I'm sure I'll buy more of them.

19. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

gtani7 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Do not attempt to flex; keep away from moisture."
    My mandolin is like that too. I am not sure it would survive being accidently run through the clothers washer.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Received my Fender "Tru-Shell" extra heavy (style 346) picks from Elderly today. They are the medium brown color and there are no apparent defects or sloppy manufacturing. I compared it to my CT55 Blue Chip. The surface is not anywhere near as smooth as the BC and the material is lighter and seems much less dense. It feels a bit like finely sanded wood with regard to the texture and weight. It does feels nice though. The sound was very good. Tone is a bit softer and less bright than my BC. It's warm but not very dark. The volume between the two was equal or pretty darn close. The glide over the strings was not as smooth as the BC, but the BC "is" beveled and much smoother on the surface. Precision and speed were less than the BC, but that could just be me not being used to it - but I don't think so. I do like the Fender pick and will keep one as a back up in my collection - putting the other in the Cafe's Pick Sampler for people to try. It's a good pick, but it's no BC for sure. My personal opinion - stick with the BC. Scale of 1 to 10: "8"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picks.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	147433
    Last edited by Emmett Marshall; Jun-19-2016 at 2:06pm.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

22. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett Marshall View Post
    The glide over the strings was not as smooth as the BC, but the BC "is" beveled and much smoother on the surface. Precision and speed were less than the BC, but that could just be me not being used to it
    My impression was that it did everything just as well as the BC picks I have - I noticed no difference in precision or speed. I guess we have different needs.

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    My impression was that it did everything just as well as the BC picks I have - I noticed no difference in precision or speed. I guess we have different needs.
    ...and different mandolins with different strings etc etc etc.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

25. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

The need to offer one in clown barf, lol!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

27. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post: