Thread: IV / saga kit build

Default IV / saga kit build

Hi all,
    I've been lurking here for years but never yet posted. Completing this first kit build would have been a whole lot trickier without the masses of info I've gained from these pages - so thanks to all and it's about time I gave a bit back !

I bought the kit about 3 years ago. It came with no f -holes cut, and both top and back wood have very little figure, but seemed nice bits of timber all the same.
    I've graduated the top and back close to some F5 specs I found on the cafe. Reshaped, reveneered and plugged and drilled the headstock for new tuner positions. Removed the fitted frets, cambered the board and put some larger banjo size wire back in. The neck needed sanding and shimming to get what I thought was a good fit. Changed the front binding for some dark red, tortoise kinda stuff and then finished in a Gretsch orange tint and clear lacquer.
    The bridge quality was pretty good, and the tailpiece not bad either.
    How does it sound ? hmmm, not as rich as my redwood Morris, but then that is no surprise. It's got that brassy cut that some times I think is fantastic and other times is a bit harsh. Although I think it will fit well in our band, playing country, punk, pop stuff being able to holdf it's own against the drummer.

Here's some pics and a link to tube vid. https://youtu.be/A6rOun2W4ic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kit mando 2.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	147219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kit mando 1.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	147220

Default Re: IV / saga kit build

REALLY nice job, Antony! I like the modifications you made - the snakehead, the tortoise binding, the scooped end of the fret board, and the larger frets. The f-holes look very classy. Can you please show us a side view so we can see a bit more of the binding? I think it sounds quite good too! Something to be proud of, CONGRATULATIONS!

MikeyG

Looks great! I like that color!

Thanks for the compliments. I checked what the binding was called - red pearl, nothing to do with tortoise real or not! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160612_185232030.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	147245