Thread: Correct glue for loose case lining?

Default Correct glue for loose case lining?

Ideas? Looks like the original glue residue is clear and kind of bubbly. Don't see any good way of removing the old glue.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Default Re: Correct glue for loose case lining?

Don
    I have no idea what glue they use(TKL cases is what I've worked on in the past), but anytime I've reglued liner materials I use basic DAP contact cement. Very easy to use-follow the directions, put small amount on each part, allow it to dry, then touch them together. When it touches there's no readjustment so make sure pieces go together how you want them to be, lasts for years. I've used it on whitewater kayaks for outfitting(neoprene/minicell/water fabrics)and pretty much everything else. Walmart used to sell it. Keep the lid closed when not in use and it will last for years.

Cleans up with water when fresh/new. Areas that have been glued previous and I want to clean, WD40 or acetone/fingernail polish remover works(of course you don't want/need these working on cases).

There may be different sizes for purchase(check Lowes/Home depot also)

https://www.zoro.com/dap-cement-cont...wO4g&gclsrc=ds

On cases, after glue up, I let it sit open a day or three to allow the odor to evaporate.

Seems to do very well with different environments(heat, moisture, cold) with no issue.
    We kayak year round, sometimes in midwinter and in the 20's, never had it come loose on outfitting. Kayaks travel outside in the summer heat for hours on top-I'd say they get pretty hot with no issues, and of course, exposed to water a lot.

d

3. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

You can also use a silicone-based "rubber-type" adhesive or caulking compound, like RTV (available from Dow-Corning, Loctite, and other sources). Like contact cement, this type of adhesive will bond wood, cloth, and plastic, and it's flexible when dry. But it doesn't smell as much, so you don't need three days for the odor to dissipate.

5. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I already have DAP contact cement on hand, so I will try that first.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Leave the case empty while any solvents remain . Read the product data sheet to know what they are.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture