Thread: Canada to Europe - mandolin carry-ons

Default Canada to Europe - mandolin carry-ons

I'm flying from Toronto to France in a few months, on TransAt Airlines. I was wondering if anyone on the Cafe has experience with how strict this airline is about mandolin case size as carry-on. When flying from Philly to France a few years ago, I had no problem. Thanks for any experience.

Default Re: Canada to Europe - mandolin carry-ons

Not too long ago, I flew from Toronto to Amsterdam (KLM), also from New York to Paris (AF). The mando (in a Calton) fit into the over head bin, never had a problem. When checking in at Toronto, the officer wasn't sure about the rules and called for a supervisor, who allowed me to carry the mando along.

A shaped case is also perceived to be smaller than a rectangular case (because it is smaller) so it should draw less attention from security and airline personnel. If challenged at check in, I would take the mandolin out of the case and let them check the case only. The mandolin is safer out of the case, in my hands than in the case and checked into a cargo hold to be handled by multiple baggage gorillas. Just my 2 cents...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    If challenged at check in, I would take the mandolin out of the case and let them check the case only. The mandolin is safer out of the case, in my hands than in the case and checked into a cargo hold to be handled by multiple baggage gorillas. Just my 2 cents...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Len B, not sure I agree it is safer in your hands. Plus, I don't think you'll want to hold it for a 8-9 hour flight in your lap. I'm not sure they would even allow you to do that. And you can't lean it by your feet, there isn't enough room. So, what are you going to do? Place an "uncased" mandolin in the overhead bin? Seems likely to get damaged or scratched up, at the least.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Jun-10-2016 at 9:59am.

I can't say that I agree with you Jeff but we're both entitled to our opinions. I would rather hold it for an 8 or 9 hour flight than worry about whether it would be delivered to the baggage carousel in good shape (if at all). An "uncased mandolin" in the overhead? I don't think so... Besides, chances a very good that AdHocMando will not be challenged at checkin and will get his cased mandolin on board without a problem.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

You are right, he probably will not be challenged. For years I carried an electric guitar (not a strat, but that size) in a gig bag over my shoulder, with most of the guitar bag behind me at checkin. I always got on board OK, knowing the guitar would not fit in the overhead, and then explaining to the flight attendant that it was an antique and asking if I could please put it in the closet. They always let me. That was 20 years ago, I don't think I could get away with that now. Not sure what my backup plan was, either....

'Travelled many times from Ottawa and Toronto into USA and to Europe on various airlines (Air Canada, United, KLM, Continental) carrying my mandolin and have never had a problem taking on board and storing in the overhead bin -- never even asked about it. Usually in a shaped TKL-type A case, but occasionally a Calton. But, one never knows...I've never flown TransAt so have no knowledge about them.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Thanks, everyone. I may be borrowing trouble on this. I've flown a few times to Europe with a mandolin in a Calton or Price shaped case, and I had no issues taking it on board and putting it in overhead. My Plan B would be "gate checking" the case if the worst happens. At least then it doesn't go through the bowels of airport baggage. Thanks again for your prompt feedback.