Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domra

I am curious to know whether a domra is easier to play than a mandolin and if so, is it a good instrument to play all different styles of music that mandolins play. I know, bluegrass isn't likely on a domra, but how about other styles. I love mandolin, but wonder if I wouldn't be able to play some kinds of music on a domra just as well and also not have to physically strain as much to push a thick pick through double strings.

I also build instruments and wonder where I could find plans for building one.

Thanks!

Woody

I don't know, but according to this website you may have some trouble since one string is tuned to H.

DOMRA MEZZOSOPRANO:
    1st string: A in first octave
    2nd string: E in first octave
    3rd string: H in minor octave

3. The following members say thank you to Chip Booth for this post:

I have a real hard time hearing H.... I always end up with more of an H# than an H.
    2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

5. The following members say thank you to dan@kins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by
    In Germany the letter H labels the pitch class here represented by B, and the letter B replaces B-flat.
    From Wikipedia here and here.

Confusing, eh?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

For virtuoso Domra playing, check out Tamara Volskaya.

Also some old performance films on Youtube:

Saint Saens

Tchaikovsky

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

H proved quite handy, allowed Bach to spell his name in notation.

H (Bb) bass string? FCG for the other 3,
    I think there are 4 string domras,
    for a lovely set of 5ths.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

And here is some more splendid Domra playing. I add this from the other Domra threat. Interesting to have two of them simultaneous.

Caprice 24

The flight of the bumblebee

Russian Quartet

Russian Quartet

TEREM QUARTET

TEREM-QUARTET and Vladimir Chernov

TEREM QUARTET PROMO FILM

To the H-issue: The story goes that a medieval monk have made a mistake in writing and confused an b with h. Other colleagues of him copied this mistake faithfully and spread this spelling across the German speaking regions.

Jim,

it seems that Tamara Volskaya is playing a 4 string Domra. This would mean that she is playing in mandolin tuning.
    Do you have some backround information about her?

So I guess what I am asking is whether the domra is easier to play, but still dynamic and versatile enough to work in settings where people normally play mandolin. From looking at the Caprice 24 above, it seems to me that the incredible facility of the player might be helped by having an instrument that is also easy to play. Do people play these same classical pieces on mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by (aldimandola @ Oct. 18 2007, 09:21)
    Jim,

it seems that Tamara Volskaya is playing a 4 string Domra. This would mean that she is playing in mandolin tuning.
    Do you have some backround information about her?
    It seems that her site is down. I reconnected her link above to another site of a group she in which she also plays. BTW she also plays mandolin but I think she esp shines on the domra.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Do you usually tune it to H or concert H?

I had lots of experience with both the 4-string (mandolin-tuned) domra and the alto domra (tuned like a cello) in my misspent youth. There is a 3-stringed model too, which may or may not contain the H note (though seriously, no one that I knew ever mentioned an H). I don't remember anymore. Anyway, compared to the mandolin, which I've been playing for about 30 years, the 4-stringed domra has the following disadvantages:
    - It is uncomfortable to hold, due to the fact that the body is shaped almost exactly like a basketball cut in half, so it rolls around in your lap or against your body. You will need to try various methods to keep it from doing this, none of which are that convenient.
    - The single strings cut through your left hand fingertips after a few minutes, even if you have nice thick calluses, making it rather painful.
    - The single strings also produce less volume than the double-strung mandolin, at least in the cheaper domra models.
    - Good-quality domras used to be hard to come by, and the cheap ones have really high action. I don't know if the market has improved since the days when I played one, which was pre-Soviet-Union-Breakup. On the plus side, they were pretty cheap compared to mandos back then.
    - The sound is noticeably different from a mando's, but I can't describe it exactly.
    Still want one? They're fun, and attract a lot of attention.

Tamara gets amazing volume and projection from her domra. I don't know if it is just her or the instrument -- probably both.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Some of the best musicians and dancers in the world came up in the "former Soviet Union." I'm really glad I saw many music, folk dance and ballet ensembles from the "Eastern Block" before the demise of Communism, 'cause we'll probably never see such incredible stylistic cohesion and overall performing perfection again. Those artists lived, studied and performed together for most of their lives, under the top masters in their field. And they were really perfectionists.

Default Re: Domra

So this is years too late and probably not helpful any more, but here's my input.

I play a 3 string alto domra, which has the range of a mandola or octave mandolin, a deep throaty sound. It is tuned EAD. The 3 string prima domra is also tuned EAD, an octave higher.
    The strings have about the same playing difficulty as a mandolin of the same range. There is a very different sound when you are playing one string instead of two. The domra is bowl shaped, and it takes a while to get used to holding it (although now I find flat backed mandolins difficult after getting used to the roundness and fullness of the domra). Most people use one of those non slip rug backing sheets to help hold the instrument on their laps.

If you play mandolin you might want to look for a 4 string prima domra, which is tuned the same as the mandolin. It won't be as
    loud and as bright, but it will have a dark mellow resonance. Traditionally, domras are played using tremolo strokes for half and quarter notes.

Hope you had luck with the domra; you've probably either forgotten all about it or have been playing for years now.

For those living in Europe: Thomann sells a 4-string domra of the rumanian Hora brand. http://www.thomann.de/de/hora_domra_...domra_138902_0
    After changing the factory strings, it plays, sounds and intonates OK.

I'm thinking of buying this Domra off C/L for what looks like a great price ..it would appear to be a baritone model 4 string in quite nice shape ...any thoughts?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/msg/5617911788.html

If you get really good you can become a prima donna on the prima domra.

Quote Originally Posted by roadman View Post
    I'm thinking of buying this Domra off C/L for what looks like a great price ..it would appear to be a baritone model 4 string in quite nice shape ...any thoughts?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/msg/5617911788.html
    That's not a domra and is not Russian.

It looks like a formerly Yugoslav-style tamburitza, with the old style gapped fretting.

Meinl made decent instruments, so it should be good, but it is not a domra.

23. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I'd have to throw my hat in with David on that one. While I'm no expert, I do play in a Russian orchestra with about 55 musicians, about a third of which are domras. We have primas, altos, tenors, and basses, but none look like that one. The neck is much longer than even our basses.

Still, whatever it is, at that price it could be fun to try. bb

25. The following members say thank you to bohemianbiker for this post:

David the all knowing....thanks man ...Croatian Tamburitza for sure ...1920's maybe a little earlier

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tambura.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	147154

Name:	cz01.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	147155

27. The following members say thank you to roadman for this post:

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspo...babagazoo.html

cool one on this site...and more info

Of course if you want to be the coolest comrade-musician at the кафе, nothing beats the bass balalaika. And you don't have to be an oligarch to afford one!

Name:	balalaika.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	147156

30. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Of course if you want to be the coolest comrade-musician at the кафе, nothing beats the bass balalaika. And you don't have to be an oligarch to afford one!
    And they also have bass tamburitzas:

32. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Petrus