Thread: Have you ever heard of the mandolin brand "IRIN"?

Default Have you ever heard of the mandolin brand "IRIN"?

Have you ever heard of the mandolin brand "IRIN"?

here's the link
    http://www.lelong.com.my/8-string-ba...-01-Sale-I.htm

Do you think its a good Mandolin???

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Have you ever heard of the mandolin brand "IRIN"?

Basswood. Basswood?? Errrrhhhh.....
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Never heard of this brand but apparently it's an inexpensive Asian factory made instrument. Nothing special...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

4. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

"High quality Basswood". Hmmm... And I like those nikel tuners.

"IRIN" is apparently a trademark claimed by a Mr. Sun Jianjun, who's a big deal in Hong Kong business. You can find all kinds of stringed instruments -- guitars, banjos, mandolins -- marked "IRIN" on sale through Amazon and elsewhere. Even melodicas.

So: Asian, probably Chinese, manufacture; bottom-end pricing (mandolins for $75-100). Generally, you get what you pay for, so a sub-$100 mandolin may be barely acceptable, or not. Do I think it's a "good mandolin?" Well, never having seen or played one, my opinion's not particularly valuable but, NO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

My first Mando was one of these,needed a lot of setting up.They are exactly the same as a 'Rogue','Chord','Stagg',etc,etc.Generic Chinese factory Mando badged under many guises!
    This was the model that was mentioned in your other thread.
    If its cheaper than the Rogue you were looking at,it might be worth a go as it is exactly the same,but it will need some work.
    Jes Woodland
    Ozark 2001Mandolin
    Ozark 2223 Octave Mandolin

9. The following members say thank you to Jes Woodland for this post:

Oh terrible!

I got one for cheap and it started making a horrible metallic sound after 3 months. The strings were clashing with other elements of the mandolin, causing unwanted resonance. An expert tried to repair it to no avail. I have bought an Ozark 2250 now.

It looks suspiciously like a Rogue. Similar headstock.

Basswood is a horrible choice for an acoustic instrument. Hardwood only in the most technical sense, it is actually softer than many softwoods. It has some applications in instrument making. Specifically, it is very popular with some electric bass players because of its light weight. But often the bodies get a veneer of something harder on the face, both for looks (basswood is very plain, devoid of prominent grain or figure), and for practicality (so the screws will hold). But it has no application in mandolin making.

I would advise you to stay away. Total trash.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    It looks suspiciously like a Rogue. Similar headstock.

Basswood is a horrible choice for an acoustic instrument. Hardwood only in the most technical sense, it is actually softer than many softwoods. It has some applications in instrument making. Specifically, it is very popular with some electric bass players because of its light weight. But often the bodies get a veneer of something harder on the face, both for looks (basswood is very plain, devoid of prominent grain or figure), and for practicality (so the screws will hold). But it has no application in mandolin making.

I would advise you to stay away. Total trash.

Absolutely no financial interest with this company, but I have one of these two pointed models shown here. Being an admirer of cheap instruments (I've owned 4 Rogues and numerous other species of bottom of the barrel instruments) I purchased this last week for $70 including shipping on Ebay. Obviously, having had it only about a week now, I can't comment on its durability over the long haul, but here's my impression in a nut shell -- it is anything but trash. In fact, it is beautiful in appearance, and much like the Rogue models, well assembled with a nice finish, binding and tuners and virtually flawless in general construction, at least visibly. It needed only minimal setup (I had to lower the strings at the nut and move the bridge slightly for intonation, easy stuff).

The top actually is solid spruce, which surprised me (albeit pressed, not carved), the back and sides are Lindenwood (boxwood) which is much maligned, but looks and sounds very good in this instrument. The neck and headstock appear to be maple, but I'm not sure. Altogether, it looks great, plays good, and sounds good, much better than the Rogues and I think even better than my solid carved Rover RM50. The tuners are fine, the neck straight, the Rosewood fingerboard even and accurate. It even has a truss rod, which really surprised me, wrench included. It's only real shortcoming I see is the bridge which is cheap and not well fitted at the ends, but perfectly functional. For a cheap starter instrument I think this one is an excellent value and certainly hard to beat for the price. I'm very impressed with it. Maybe in a year I'll have a different opinion, but right now I am pleased.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_35.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	150089

13. The following members say thank you to Pete Summers for this post:

Pete Summers, do you still like the Irin mandolin after some months of playing it?
    I am not sure if I will get this one or the Rover RM50. What would you think is the better choice?

Linden is not boxwood. Linden is basswood, and I stand by what I said about it. It is very soft and not suited at all for the back and sides of acoustic instruments. It is softer than most softwoods. It is actually just a few notches harder than balsa wood. It does have its uses. Acoustic instruments is not one of them.

Perhaps my "total trash" assessment may have gone too far. But I would go with the Rover. At least it's made from the correct materials.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

16. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I would say if you value quality of build go with the Rover. If you are captivated by the points settle for the Irin. That's really all it has going for it.

18. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Instead of IRIN it should be IRUN, as in away.

20. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post: