Thread: Incoming: Emburgher-style Mandolin

Default Incoming: Emburgher-style Mandolin

[Please excuse the spelling mistake in the title. I can't seem to edit it. Can anyone else? A hopefully forgivable spelling mistake from an Edinburgher!]

I've just bought this from our very own Margriet. It will give me a good idea of what is involved in playing an Embergher-style instrument. It will take a week or so to get to me.

Luthier: Yngue Barslev
    Year: Not sure, but it looks like the luthier did some work on it in 1972
    Provenance: For three decades, it was played in the Hamburg Mandolin Orchestra
    Condition: very good

Click picture for larger version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	147110

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	147111

Name:	Head.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	147112

Name:	Side.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	147113

Name:	nut.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	147114

Name:	label.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	147115

Name:	Action.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	147116
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; Jun-09-2016 at 6:17am.

Default Re: Incoming: Emburgher-style Mandolin

That looks lovely, I am rather envious.

3. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

I had never heard of this luthier who evidently made lots of guitars. I see quite a few nice-looking archtops and it looks like the work on this is exemplary. I see he made at least one other similar instrument, a mandola.

I just looked at my 1904 Embergher at the nut and it measures a mere 7/8" at the nut. It looks like this Barslev is even narrower at closer to 3/4".
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That's all I can see online, Jim, archtops and one mandola. But the craftsmanship seems pretty good. Not Embergher quality, but pretty good.

Yes, that's the only question I have - can I learn to cope with the narrow nut width? We shall see...

The back looks beautiful, I must say.

Congratulations -- looks very nice, both the design and the condition. I agree with Jim that the nut on this one looks even narrower than on an Embergher. The nut on mine is also 7/8", same as Jim's. I can't tell if the fretboard is slanted and radiussed like on an Embergher but I suspect it is. It does have the bowl recurve and the triangular neck design. The bowl looks a bit wider than Embergher's.

This one has a compensated bridge with an offset on the A strings. That offset is designed for plain A strings. If you use the Consort set with the wound A string, intonation may be slightly off. Alex's Embergher website carries a remark to that effect.

Regarding the maker, do you know whether Barslev actually built it? This may just be a repair label.

Martin

7. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

congrats. this is beautiful. We'll be looking forward for the sound / video clip
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

9. The following members say thank you to Hany Hayek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Regarding the maker, do you know whether Barslev actually built it? This may just be a repair label.
    The mandola is of the same design but without the fluting. BTW the mandola was built in 1955.

Name:	Barslev Mandola 2.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	147128 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barslev mandola side.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	147129
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jun-09-2016 at 10:37am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Shame that that's been sold, although I do like the a bit of fluting.

13. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Cheers, folks. I'm fairly certain it was made by Barslev. I'm a wee bit concerned that it's even narrower than an Embergher! I will, hopefully, eventually be in a position to make a video of it.

Happy playing, Rob !
    I am happy that this beautiful and well-made instrument is going to be played, being in the hands of a musician.

The fretboard is narrow. I cannot say "more than Embergher", you should say "more than SOME Emberghers". The measurement of the fretboards of Emberghers that i have seen, differ. As with more Romans: they are all more narrow than the Neapolitans, but they differ.

There is no reason to think that it is NOT made by Barslev. This is what the woman told me, from whom I bought this mandolin a few years ago:
    [QUOTE]This instrument was played about 30 years in our orchestra, the „Hamburger Mandolinen-Orchester von 1928 e.V.“
    If you want to know more please visit our webpage. Sorry it's written in german, but you can hear some pieces on YouTube (Hamburg Mandolin). There you don't need any languages. ;-)
    The internet adress: www.hmo-hamburger-mandolinen-orchester.eu.
    Yngve Barslev had sold some mandolins and mandolas in our orchestra. He came to us himself to Hamburg with his best instruments.
    Some of our members have visited him in København too. A friendship has grown up.]

It is an interesting website and you can also find historical recordings on youtube. I guess that Barslev made this mandolin earlier and did the repair himself in 1972.

In Tove Flensborg' s orchestra you can still find them played. Look at the website. http://mandolinorkester.dk

Margriet

16. The following members say thank you to Margriet for this post:

Can't wait to see your videos with it.

18. The following members say thank you to Classicalcomp for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Fair play to you, Rob. I've been vicariously enjoying your adventure and learning things along the way. Very happy that you have 'kept it in the family' and connected with Margriet. I look forward to seeing and hearing more of this interesting mandolin.

I'll leave you with my typical refrain / request: More photos! Please.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Margriet, I take your point about Emberghers having different nut widths. Understood. You were very clear in your descriptions and photos, so I am happy with what I'm getting. I look forward to the challenge and joys it brings!

Mick - more photos? There are quite a few there. I might oblige, but am more likely to do a video or two.

Well, it's fun and exciting, getting a new instrument. Now I just need the postie to hurry up!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Video would be great, Rob.

Yeah, I admit to digging a lot of photos...virtually turning something in my hands. No expectations that anyone should comply.

Enjoy your new mandolin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

23. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Rob, congratulations, that looks like a really nicely built instrument in excellent condition. I hope you find it well playable as well as sounding to your taste.
    Bona fide dilettante

Thanks, plinkey. I hope so too. I will report back!

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Rob, that is a lovely mandolin! The fluting is not only beautiful but should help in holding the instrument.
    The neck angle looks very playable and what fine conditon overall.
    I look forward to your video.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Cheers, Bill. It's still in transit. Keeping my fingers crossed for its safe arrival.

It has arrived safely, thankfully. My first impression is that it is a very good instrument. I'm finding the narrow fingerboard is not such a problem so far, though the slight curve takes a little getting used to, especially the first course, which dips down a little. But I'm sure I'll get used to that.

The only slight negative is that the tuning machines are not very good, and I might seek out replacements. Any suggestions? Getting a set to fit the hole sizes and distances between them might be difficult, or not. I have no idea.

I might change the strings, as I'm finding them a bit high-tension. As it happens, a set of Fisoma Consorts also arrived today. I can't tell from the packet what gauge they are.

But overall I am delighted. It's a beautifully-crafted instrument, with a very Roman tone, as far as I understand it. A bunch of virtual roses for Margriet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    I might change the strings, as I'm finding them a bit high-tension. As it happens, a set of Fisoma Consorts also arrived today. I can't tell from the packet what gauge they are.
    Congratulations -- the description sounds very promising!

For some reason, all the German makers are very reticent about printing string gauges on their packs. The Fisoma Consort set comes only in one gauge. It's Fisoma's "medium" gauge bronze-wound set (.010, .014, .025, .035) but with the plain A string replaced by a wound A string -- I can't find any specification for that A string. I have been using these strings for a long time, and I wouldn't be worried either by the description as "medium" or by the numerical gauges, as the tension at pitch is clearly less than for similar gauge d'Addario or GHS strings. I use them extensively on both Neapolitan and Roman bowlbacks.

I think I've already mentioned that these strings take a little while to settle down and the tone will mellow considerably with playing time after initially sounding rather harsh.

Martin

30. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Consider that the mandolin has not been played for quite a long time. Maybe some grass or graphite can help.

Regarding the strings: Fisoma strings have a light set: 009, 013, 022 and 032. As far as i know are the Consort strings also the light version. Only the e" can be medium, i remember that there were problems with breaking, when they replaced the strings by chrome. I cannot tell how many of them were broken with me.... :-( . But the sound was nicer. For some instruments i still use the light e", as well as the not- wound a.

Enjoy, Rob !

32. The following members say thank you to Margriet for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet View Post

Regarding the strings: Fisoma strings have a light set: 009, 013, 022 and 032. As far as i know are the Consort strings also the light version. Only the e" can be medium, i remember that there were problems with breaking, when they replaced the strings by chrome. I cannot tell how many of them were broken with me.... :-( . But the sound was nicer. For some instruments i still use the light e", as well as the not- wound a.
    Getting clear information from Fisoma on string gauges is difficult, but Schneider Musik list the Consort specifically as "medium" only with no "light" option. I use the normal Fisoma medium strings one some instruments, too, and other than the wound A they seem to be the same or very similar gauge. There is an old thread from 2004 here, where Alex Timmerman posted on the comparison between Consort and medium gauges. At that time, the Consort set was very slightly lighter than "medium", but well above "light". That was however before the Lenzner/Fisoma split, so this may no longer be the case.

I had problems with breaking E strings with the old Lenzner-branded ones, but not with the newer Fisoma. I also like the wound A on the Fisoma better now that they use a bronze winding. In the earlier version, around 2004, they used flatwound aluminium windings and I had problems with the winding coming undone. That problem seems to be solved now.

Martin

34. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post: