Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scam Sobell 10 string on Ebay UK.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scam Sobell 10 string on Ebay UK.

That is quite impressive.... they are clearly getting much "better" at this than they used to be.

Very worrying, as I'm sure many could be taken in by this kind of thing. You certainly need to be on your guard these days.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Here it is for the umpteenth time: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stefan-Sob...wAAOSwnNBXa7Ic

3. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Incredible. Thanks for keeping watch and warning people about it.

There's part of me that's ceasing to worry about all this. It's eBay that should be sorting it out. The only people who are at risk of getting scammed are people who are foolish enough to respond to that email address in the second picture.

However, I'm public spirited. I've emailed them again, and had essentially the same reply, which has been sent by the same email service. The email service in question, Postmark, is part of the Wildbit LLC, whose registered offices are at 225 Chestnut Avenue, Philadelphia PA. You'd have thought that a US company would be wary of eBay taking action against them over a scam like this. I had a lengthy exchange of emails with Postmark last time, so they are no longer in a position to claim ignorance. I'll be flagging up Wildbit's involvement to eBay in the hope that something will get done.

It's back. Wouldn't it be great if Ebay woke up. This is about the tenth listing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stefan-Sob...8AAOSwmtJXb7Ot

7. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

This is a perfect example of why I feel so good about not having anything to do with eBay anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Geez. You'd think they would expand their (nonexistent) inventory at some point. How hard can it be to get some pictures of different instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Geez. You'd think they would expand their (nonexistent) inventory at some point. How hard can it be to get some pictures of different instruments?
    They do have more inventory, but they've worked out that it's harder for eBay to identify hacked accounts when they only list one item per account.

It's back again. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stefan-Sob...YAAOSwgY9XeopG I've reported it again. This is listing number 12 or so.

Wake up, Ebay !

It's gone.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I wonder if they could get away with literally sending the hapless buyer a set of printed photographs of the mandolin, just like the ones in the gallery. "Hey, this is exactly what you saw in the ad."

I wonder if they could get away with literally sending the hapless buyer a set of printed photographs of the mandolin, just like the ones in the gallery. "Hey, this is exactly what you saw in the ad."
    I can't work out quite why you're so determined to derail this thread, but it certainly doesn't help.

Actually, that was an early eBay scam used by some predators, the difference being buried in the "fine print" of the ad copy it said something to the effect that "please note you are bidding on photos of the said item" -- which technically made it legal since it was clearly stated. eBay did away with this practice early on, since it was misleading.

Another very common early eBay scam was to list a $10 item for a $1 Buy It Now, but charge $75 shipping, again with the shipping clearly stated, but usually not noticed by the buyer until after they clicked the Buy It Now! Again, eBay did away with that tactic, as well.

16. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Petrus 

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    I can't work out quite why you're so determined to derail this thread, but it certainly doesn't help.
    Yeah let's go back to "It's back again ... it's gone again .. it's back again ... it's gone again."