Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circa 1919 F5 Gibson?

Default Circa 1919 F5 Gibson?

Just wondering what we actually have here... I was told Circa 1919 Gibson F5, but I am the all not knowing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_111138.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	146773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_111048.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	464.5 KB 
ID:	146774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_110957.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	429.3 KB 
ID:	146775  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_110939.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	501.6 KB 
ID:	146776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_110901.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	898.4 KB 
ID:	146777  

Default Re: Circa 1919 F5 Gibson?

sorry to say it's not only a fake, it's a very bad attempt at a fake. steer clear! oh wait a minute... the tailpiece is actually a genuine Gibson tailpiece from that era. but that's all...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

it qualifies for entrance into the hall of shame thread: Worst Scrolls
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim simpson For This Useful Post:

1919 F-5? Not only is this not a 1919 Gibson F-5 (no such thing) it is not a Gibson.
    Last edited by Bill Snyder; May-28-2016 at 9:03pm. Reason: correct year
    Bill Snyder

7. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

The F5 wasn't introduced until the twenties. Beyond that, as stated above, it isn't a Gibson.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I'd be willing to bet that the builder wasn't trying to "create" a fake gibson, unlike the current seller who may be trying to pass it off as one… Some fella's [ Initial "S"] Try at making one for himself. And who knows what he had to work with… $$$, Tools, Experience, Knowlwdge????

At the time it was built a Gibson tailpiece may have been all he could get his hands on?

But he had a desire to try his hand, had a go at it and it looks like he may have played it quite a bit as well [from the looks of the fingerboard].

I say bravo to the builder, whoever he was…. and shame to the current seller if he is indeed trying to represent this as a Gibson. Shame doesn't apply to the OP if it came into his possession and he just doesn't know what he has.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to michaelcj For This Useful Post:

The F5 was introduced in 1922, so there's no such thing as a 1919 F5. This is a pretty crude copy. The tailpiece is worth a hundred bucks or so; the rest of it is firewood.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

12. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

Yep not a Gibson but would maybe be a good mandolin to learn on for someone, I learned on a homemade copy that was kinda crude.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcj View Post
    ...At the time it was built a Gibson tailpiece may have been all he could get his hands on?...
    He probably had to work to find that one. There were probably generic tailpieces readily available (Clam shell, etc.). That one had to come off an instrument.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I kinda like it, got an earthy funky look to it. As mentioned earlier, looks like it's been played a lot. Have you played it?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seg For This Useful Post:

Someone thought enough of it to buy a hardshell case for it. Might sound good....

No one is trying to sell any kind of bogus anything here. This belongs to my neighbor lady (60+ years old). It was left to her by her father who played it in a band in the 1940s. So I know it's at least that old. It has a nice sound, which I'm sure would be even nicer if I knew how to tune it. Being a Gibson guitar guy, she asked me if I knew anything about it, and I thought I should ask folks that are in the know. But I hate to tell her some of what I read here... Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Be well.

20. The following members say thank you to mujiir for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mujiir View Post
    No one is trying to sell any kind of bogus anything here. This belongs to my neighbor lady (60+ years old). It was left to her by her father who played it in a band in the 1940s. So I know it's at least that old. It has a nice sound, which I'm sure would be even nicer if I knew how to tune it. Being a Gibson guitar guy, she asked me if I knew anything about it, and I thought I should ask folks that are in the know. But I hate to tell her some of what I read here... Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Be well.
    mujiir,

I understand why you'd be hesitant to tell your neighbor lady some of the responses you got here. I don't think anyone meant to say anything hurtful though.

You say your neighbor lady "asked me if I knew anything about it". I think if you'd have approached the issue here with that same question, the responses might have been a little more tempered.

You said in your first post "I was told Circa 1919 Gibson F5". Whoever told you that was wrong obviously, and that's why you got some of the blunt responses.

Probably the kindest and best way to relay the news to your neighbor would be to simply tell her what michaelcj said in post #6.

22. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

or you could say it is a handmade vintage F style mandolin with a Gibson tailpiece. nothing wrong with that.

Let's face it, responses you will get here(myself included) may seem a little harsh but, I really don't think anyone here is out to be hurtful, merely accurate.
    The TP is Gibson, the rest is not. I have had to tell people they do not have what they think they have for years, it's not a fun job. All you can do is be honest. I like they way michalecj said it too, kindly and carefully. Worst one I had was a guy that came in with a fake Rolex, when I told him, he was crestfallen! He said "I could have bought a used Volvo for what I paid for that!" This was a very large strong man, I was not enjoying the conversation, to say the least. But, he visibly melted in front of me.
    Hey, by the way, 60 is the new thirty so don't think that is an "old neighbor lady"!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Hey, by the way, 60 is the new thirty so don't think that is an "old neighbor lady"!
    How come my 60 year old body feels like it's 80, most of the time?

To the OP, if you are new to mandolins, it takes a little time to get up to speed with the "thinking" here. Just as the Fender Stratocaster is probably the most copied guitar in the world, the Gibson F-5 mandolin is the most copied mandolin. Note, I said copied, not faked. Copies are fine. Some copies are beginners models and sell for a couple hundred dollars. Other copies are made by master craftsmen (luthiers) and the prices reflect that. Only when a copy has the Gibson name on it does it become a fake or counterfeit. And, technically, only when an instrument is offered for sale as such. This mandolin has an "S" on the peghead, probably referring to the person who built it, so I don't consider it a fake. I personally don't consider the Gibson tailpiece to be the "nameplate" or logo of the mandolin, but just of the tailpiece, itself. Just as people might put Gibson pickups in a Fender guitar, nobody thinks the guitar is now a Gibson.

26. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Doggone it Jeff!
    I blew my back out yesterday so, I hear you! Last night in back brace and muscle relaxant, today I can almost stand up without screaming so, Im on the mend!
    And what you say is fair and accurate, it's more a tribute than copy. But, telling the truth, it's simply not the Gibson she thinks it is
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

28. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mujiir View Post
    No one is trying to sell any kind of bogus anything here. This belongs to my neighbor lady (60+ years old). It was left to her by her father who played it in a band in the 1940s. So I know it's at least that old.
    Let's start with the obvious. The case and strap are pretty much brand new.

There's no significant age in the tuners. The very contemporary plastic pearloid buttons have no handling marks whatever, and I doubt those tuners have been used much.

The veneer on the front of the headstock also looks new. Normally a headstock veneer will attract small scratches from the end of the strings but that one is absolutely unmarked.

The ivoroid binding round the headstock is of quite a different pattern to the rest of the instrument. It is top-bound with black 'purfling'.

The fingerboard has had some use, but there's no significant wear.

The frets are of modern profile. They have some wear, but like likely to be contemporary with the fingerboard.

There are no pick marks whatever on the top of the instrument, which looks to have been stained quite recently to give the appearance of age.

The Gibson tailpiece cover could quite conceivably date from 1919. Other than that, I think the rest of the instrument is modern, and that your "neighbour lady" is spinning you a yarn.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to houseworker For This Useful Post:

What makes all of you think that the tail piece is even a real Gibson one, I have a few of them that say Gibson, they are not hard to find either....Why do I have them you ask? I bought them many years ago from a builder, whose name shall remain nameless, when he was getting too old to build any more mandolins, he built some of the best copies that I have ever seen...

Willie

hmmmmmmm, the plot thickens......maybe the sweet old lady is really Ma Barker and she's masterminding a ring of counterfeiters making ugly scroll F-5's........ugly flower pot inlay, too, now that you mention it!

just kidding, couldn't resist

33. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Actually, "This belongs to my neighbor lady (60+ years old)" But hell, I'm 62... So old is a relative term. Thanks for all the help folks. Happy mandoing. ;-)

As I have said recently," when I was 12, 16 was old. When I was 16, 21 was old. When I was in my 20s, 40 was old. Now I am 61, and old is way back into the late 90s." But I agree, my brain is 18 but my body says, "Who are you kidding?!?" LOL!!

36. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Regarding the tone of the thread, many of these conversations involve an instrument that either is for sale or that the OP has recently purchased. There's a difference between an innocent misrepresentation and one that involves money.

If it really is from the '40s, there would be a little historical interest, because that's awfully early for an F5 copy (the earliest known such copy is from 1934). But as houseworker points out, parts of it are more recent than the '40s, so if it's that old, it's had significant work done. We'd need photographic or documentary evidence to establish its age.

No F5 player attaches the strap via the headstock scroll ... that'd be precarious at best. The strap represents an attempt to dress up the instrument ... it wasn't put there by a mandolin player.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

38. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

The tailpiece cover is real.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Hard to fake the verdigris...