Thread: Trading Blue Chip Picks - or anything else for that matter

Default Trading Blue Chip Picks - or anything else for that matter

Are there any guidelines to follow when trading items through the cafe classifieds with respect to ensuring everything happens legitimately?

When buying and selling items, it seems things are safe because the seller waits to receive funds through Paypal, and then sends the item. Paypal usually backs the buyer in a dispute, so if the seller does anything fishy the buyer will get his money back. So it seems safe for both parties.

How do people trade safely through the cafe classifieds? Is it purely a matter of trust? Is there anything smart I can do to protect myself?

Default Re: Trading Blue Chip Picks - or anything else for that matter

Using a service like Paypal gives you some recourse, so I tend to go that route, unless you can meet the buyer in person to see and review the item.

I'm just planning to trade Blue Chip picks, so I don't need to see or review the item. I'm wondering more about a situation where I send my item to trade and they don't send anything back. What's to prevent that (other than moral accountability)?

Is there a way to use PayPal for trades?

Paypal usually backs the buyer in a dispute, so if the seller does anything fishy the buyer will get his money back. So it seems safe for both parties.

How do people trade safely through the cafe classifieds? Is it purely a matter of trust? Is there anything smart I can do to protect myself?
    There are no realistic safe methods. You just need to trust the other party.

Your statement above is partly correct.

"Paypal usually backs the buyer in a dispute, so if the seller does anything fishy the buyer will get his money back."

This is 100% correct
    ------------

"So it seems safe for both parties."
    This is not. See above. If there is an issue, the seller will almost always lose, so it is only safe for the buyer. Although the seller may have the funds, The funds can be taken back in the event of a dispute. The seller agrees to these terms by using Paypal.

In the mandolin world, you are reasonably safe to begin with. This is a niche community and the overwhelming majority are good honest people. On the Cafe, there are very good security measures in place. There are much easier places to commit fraud, so most would be criminals, will move on to greener pastures.

In the end, there are no ways that I am aware of, to protect both parties in an online transaction.

As an online seller, I accept this risk. I tend to catch 99% of the fraud before we ship anything, but if the person really knows their stuff, they can get away with it at my expense. Luckily mandolins are not a highly lucrative underground market. Most people willing to put in the effort, will target something that is easier to sell on the black market.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Not to say that these things don't work out on occasion, but I've bought, sold and traded through the Cafe classifieds more times than I can count. I've never had anything but great experiences. That being said, I do think, on average, we're a different breed here and I wouldn't trade without some form of insurance on just any ol' forum. Also, every classifieds ad allows you to see how many times a person has placed, as well as responded to, an ad. I do feel safer dealing with others who have multiple exchanges under their belt.

What Robert says is by and large quite true, the community here is generally most honorable and self policing. Until the mandolin becomes more "crack" like, the black market value of most things related to their nature are most valuable to us, not so much the general public.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I've bought and sold picks here through the Cafe several times and it's all worked out. It's a small amount to be out if someone does happen to stiff you but I think the chances are pretty slim. If I'm the purchaser I send the funds first if I'm the seller I can always wait until I receive the funds...you can always ask for references...

If I was trading with you I'd send the pick and you can send me yours when you get it...I'm looking for another TAD80...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Mandolin Cafe seems about as honorable an online community as exists. Still a risk as you describe, though. I also frequent talkbass.com and made one cross-country bass trade a few years back (Fender for Musicman). It worked out fine, but I was anxious until the bass arrived. Bass players are pretty reliable, as a species.
    Blow on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post

If I was trading with you I'd send the pick and you can send me yours when you get it...I'm looking for another TAD80...
    OK, that's a good idea. As the poster of the ad for the trade, I will be on record at the cafe for the ad. Then the person who responds to my ad and wants to trade should feel somewhat comfortable sending me their pick first. Then I'll send once received.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I know the community is an honest one and I've never had any issues buying or selling. But this is my first time trading so I was curious about the etiquette. Worst case scenario, I'm out $35 (in the case of a BC pick).

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I'm looking for another TAD80...
    I just sold my TAD 80 on the cafe not too long ago. This time I'm looking to trade a TPR 50 for a large jazz. I figure it's cheaper to trade (if I can find folks who are willing) than buying them new and selling the ones I don't like at a loss so I can buy a new one. With trades I'll only be out the shipping costs.

Blog Entries

I've traded for picks here and for the cost of a pick I don't overthink it much. Trade emails and send out pick.

fyi: free shipping (usa) on bluechip this weekend

Yes, there is safe way. For picks I wouldn't waste my time, but for instruments I would: you each purchase the other's item via PayPal. I buy your pick, you buy mine. The net is $0 (minus the fee that pays for the protection you're getting). Buttress the PayPal protection with an email (written) agreement that if either transaction fails for any reason, the other is revocable by either party within a certain timeframe.

14. The following members say thank you to jljohn for this post:

I have traded picks before and knives on a knife forum. In all cases both parties mailed items at the same time. If I were trading a pick and the other party wanted to get my pick before sending out his/hers I would feel a lack of trust and maybe not trade. I have not had a problem sending both items at the same time.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

16. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I did a couple of higher end trades for mandolins over the years and both worked out fine. One was straightforward. We first talked on the phone for at least a half an hour then agreed to ship at the same time. it was a coast-to-coast trade so it took close to a week. We allowed a day or two and both liked what they got, so it was easy.

The second was a bit more complicated. I liked what I got but the other guy did not like my trading fodder and returned it. We agreed on a cash price for his mandolin and I had it for a few weeks to see if I could get the money together. I realized I couldn't but he told me that the offer stood if I was interested as long as no one else wanted it. It took me some time but I did end up with that mandolin.

In general, esp for higher priced trades or even straight sales, I like to have some human voice contact if possible. That makes it much more of a solid transaction.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1