Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

Default Re: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

I'm not concerned with a wait time, even if it is a couple months. To me its like the Fretboard Journal. Some folks complain because it has not been delivered on consistent timelines over the past year or two. The way I think of it, when an issue arrives, it was well worth the wait. And in this day and age of cyber this and cyber that, a lot of magazines have ceased to exist. Fretboard Journal is an amazing piece of literature, we are most fortunate it is still around.

Collings is having a huge year for new introductions of product. The Traditional line of guitars, along with this Traditional line of cases(guitar and mandolin). The shop owners I know, tell me Collings has been overwhelmed with orders on these new products. They can only make so many of each at a certain rate. Quality takes time.

TejonStreetMusic had opportunity to receive an OM and I think Dread Traditional case. Said they were amazed at the quality and the build of the cases-nothing like they've ever seen before. Uber classy!

In due time there will be opportunity for all of us who want to buy one or more of these cases, to be able to do so.

In the meantime, I say we practice our mandolin while we wait.

d

2. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I'm with daryl. For quality, the wait is low on the pole. Look at how long some of us have waited for mandolins to be made (or to use an example from the Pleistocene era, the wait for the next MWN issue....)

I'm currently waiting patiently for the accompanying Northfield Airloom case cover...and won't use the case out in the field until I get it.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    I got time to build a 74003 copy...
    A 74003 copy is a wonderful thing, and I wouldn't mind having one of these Collings A-style cases to house mine!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I was planning to get a Calton this summer.... But now I'm starting to see why you all like this case so much. I don't fly often with a mandolin, so do I really need something that is flight worthy?

And my favorite case is honestly my f style shaped TKL. I use it 99% of the time even though I have a bunch of other cases... It's small, light, takes up the least space, and it's just the most convenient....It would be awesome to get a Collings case that has the same shape but is infinitely nicer....

Two questions that I thought someone would post by now (unless I missed them):

1. Can you keep a tone gard on the mandolin without squeezing it in? One of the reasons I use my beat up TKL is that I can close the top without putting any pressure on the mandolin...

2. Will there be a case cover from Collings or Small dog? I've never bought a case cover, but if I buy a premium case I'd want to get a cover... That case material looks pretty durable, though... I'll bet it doesn't scratch easily...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

6. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yes, I'd want a small dog too!

I'll await the a-model case though, whether the a-model fits into the f-case or not.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Will the A model version of that case be less than 1/2 the price of the F model version? <Ducking....>
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Colorado/Small Dog will craft a case cover to fit.

Teak, I can't see Bill building an A case, since an A mandolin can live happily in the F case...& you have room for a coiled up strap or a small, round clay humidifier in the space. As far as price....not a chance it would be much cheaper...They're not a high production volume/ low quality item. (Yes, keep your head down) .He's got a bunch more guitar size cases to prototype and get into production. I know several 0 size owners who are waiting for a light case for their guitars.
    As for case covers, Small Dog will build a cover for anything. I have a case cover from the original Hoffee shaped CF case which fits the Collings case really well...& it's got D rings on it to attach a shoulder strap.

11. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

Teak 

there were multiple nice pictures of this case Gryphon Instruments had in stock today(its sold as of 2 minutes ago, :, unfortunately the pics went away as they removed it from the stock. they used to have a "sold" list where you could view prev instruments, i don't see that now.

what Gryphon had to say about this line of cases(this is listed on the site under the OM guitar case)
    At first glance, you're probably thinking "Eight hundred and fifty bucks for a black case?" And you're right, this is not a bullet-proof "flight case" you can drive a car over or drop off a rooftop and your guitar will survive without a scratch. Although the new Collings case looks very much like a top quality case made in the late 1930s, it's not a vintage knock-off, either (note that the full length of the accessory pocket lid is a perfect neck rest, something you never see in old guitar cases).

OK, if these aren't vintage reissue cases and aren't flight cases, what are they? The best summary is that these new Collings cases are incredibly well-designed to do what most of us need a case for 99% of the time: to provide protection for our guitar in a lightweight, efficient-sized and good-looking package. For instance, the OM case shown weighs 9 pounds, while a TKL Vintage Series case weighs 12 pounds, and an Ameritage OM case (as used by Santa Cruz) weighs 14 pounds. That difference of three to five pounds might not sound like much but if you're lugging your guitar for half a dozen blocks in hilly San Francisco, you'll notice the difference (The Collings case with a Collings OM1 inside weighs 13 pounds, btw). The differences in size are even more dramatic, as shown in the photo here comparing those three OM cases. (See photo 11, the Collings case is in the middle, obviously.)

The Collings case is stronger than it looks, thanks to being made of three plies of veneer that are glued up in the mold, and the arched bottom, as well as arched top, make it stronger than typical heavier arched lid cases with flat bottom. Other details include a molded rubber bumper at the butt end of the case (see photo 10) and welded, not just crimped, D rings attaching the handle.

While the Collings case is a sexy, minimalist tool for housing and carrying guitars, its function-specific design means that it fits Collings instruments extremely well but its use for the same model made by other builders is iffy (your favorite Ltd. Edition Martin or Brazilian Santa Cruz may not be comfy as the fit will be too tight). For instance the case here shown fits our 1930 Martin OM-28 perfectly, but a new Martin OM Custom is a bit too snug for comfort and is difficult to get back out of the case again, while the two Santa Cruz OM models Gryphon has in stock don't fit at all (they're a bit too big). If you're buying one of these cases for a guitar not made by Collings, please bring it in to test the fit.

Even if buying one of these cases for a Collings, be aware that leaving your guitar in the new case for a couple of days will dramatically improve the fit, as padding in the case will compress slightly. And remember that to remove your guitar from this case you need to lift the guitar straight up, rather than angling the neck out first. .

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    So - Collings have built an exceptional case which isn't available - unlike Northfield, who released their new cases with (some) stock to back up the demand. Quote - "....as they won't be building any for a while," How long is 'a while' ?. IMHO,this is a poor move by Collings IF they intend to market the case as a regular product - or will they be special order only ?. Maybe Collings could make this one factor clear to prospective buyers,at least then we'd all know,
    Ivan
    Ivan, Some of us saw this case project start 4 years ago, saw early prototypes and have been waiting in line since that moment. There is a long thread on the Collings Forum. To address a couple of your observations. There is, as I'm sure you know, a huge leap from prototyping to final production. When I was in Austin in November, a separate building had been completed to house the Waterloo & case projects in an adequate space of their own. To that point, only 3 cases had been offered for sale. You can imagine the cost involved. Then began the process of hiring and training staff to build the cases. As has been said, currently Collings is only offering Dreadnaught, OM guitar and mandolin F cases. They are being handbuilt by a small crew in small numbers. They have not started up a case factory with 50 workers aiming at high production. The project has been a labour of love for Bill and you can be sure will not be a money maker for some time to come. At this point in time, the demand exceeds the supply. As is commonly said in North America.."Give the guy a break."
    Last edited by doc holiday; May-21-2016 at 1:39pm.

14. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

Collings is making these cases. Northfield is not. As for waiting, if you really want one of these they are worth the wait. I will be picking mine up at the beginning of the week.

I buy from the same few dealers all the time. I have never had a hard time getting something, and have always been able to reach out to these folks (support your instrument dealers! don't be fickle and shop around for price. in the end it works against you) and get the scoop.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quick Poll:

at the start date of this thread:

1)who knew of this case before reading about it
    2)who has purchased/found one?
    3)who is on a wait list for one?

**the only ones I found that had been for sale at the thread date were at Elderlys, Music Emporium, and Gryphons. I think availability is very limited at the moment**

<I did not know about them until I found this one at elderly while browsing for something. I found/purchased one today at Gryphons.>

Excuse me for saying so - but we seem to be unduly fascinated by 'any new case' that comes along. Last month it was the Northfield,now it's the Collings ??. What's really wrong with the cases that we have already or did everybody make a lousy choice ?.
    Most of us have been carrying our mandolins around in a 'good' case to begin with,or at least i hope so. Gryphon Music's description of the Collings case,sound to me like a souped up version of the TKL,& i've no doubt that it'll be a very good case. It does however seem to be a Collings take on the ''American Vintage'' rect. case build standard that TKL made for First Quality. Additional wooden plies + arched top. The AV Rect. also has steel reinforcings under the outer covering.
    Why all of a sudden do we become disatisfied with the cases which,if this new one hadn't come along,we'd most likely have carried on using ?. I've had my TKL AV rect.case for close to 11 years & my Travelite for 9. The only case i'd personally change,is my Gator,which, being unable to buy another Travelite over here,was my second choice.
    I'd really be asking myself if i really did need another case,or is it simply change for the sake of it ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I guess some people like very expensive, well-made handbags... or watches... or shoes.. or whatever. Nothing wrong with that. It's their money. So it is probably no surprise that mandolin players like talking about (and buying) whatever 'luxury' accessories are available.

When it comes to cases, personally, I look to them for maximum protection balanced against bulk and weight, and 'style' or 'finesse' takes a back seat to that. Obviously, this is a really nicely made case that looks and feels great and if people like it - good. More choice for everyone.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

I've been aware of this project since the cases were a glint in Bill's eye. I had the pleasure to get cornered by Bill one day when I walked into Collings with an Accord case. He said, "Let me show you mine" & proceeded to show me his pieces & prototypes. A 45 minute cases 101 course. They've been available now since just after the NAMM show. They exceeded my expectations & meet my needs, ....especially for instruments with which I would not fly. They are light, exquisitely balanced & as aesthetically pleasing as the instruments they contain. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9500.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	146590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9485.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	635.5 KB 
ID:	146592 Via internet forums we obsess about picks, strings, straps, ....why should cases be excluded
    Last edited by doc holiday; May-22-2016 at 8:30am.

22. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    <I did not know about them until I found this one at elderly while browsing for something. I found/purchased one today at Gryphons.>
    hey d,

Since I assume that you bought the Collings for your Collings, can we also soon expect a Northfield for your Northefield?

p
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    hey d,

Since I assume that you bought the Collings for your Collings, can we also soon expect a Northfield for your Northefield?

p
    It's actually going to be housing the NF at first. I carry it back and forth each day to work. I had been using the vintage RB gig bag but the Collings has that occupied. I pulled out one of the TKL and had been using it, found it on the heavy side compared to what I'm used to using and I started looking-that's when I found this new case at Elderly.
    I did look at the NF immediately, but the size and weight defeated my purpose.

d

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

if Wayne ever builds me a mandolin, I'll put it in a good case. Not likely a Calton, which was the direct reason for my blown deal on a Model 1. I love the old vintage Gibson A-model case. That and a small dog is all my a3 needs, around the house, going to jams or carry on. My only problem is knowing whether the Collings would go custom. I doubt they'd go to production on a 12-fret, oval-hole, a-model. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Yes, I'd want a small dog too!

f-d
    This one's pretty small:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pablo.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	146595
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Excuse me for saying so - but we seem to be unduly fascinated by 'any new case' that comes along. Last month it was the Northfield,now it's the Collings ??. What's really wrong with the cases that we have already or did everybody make a lousy choice ?.
    Most of us have been carrying our mandolins around in a 'good' case to begin with,or at least i hope so. Gryphon Music's description of the Collings case,sound to me like a souped up version of the TKL,& i've no doubt that it'll be a very good case. It does however seem to be a Collings take on the ''American Vintage'' rect. case build standard that TKL made for First Quality. Additional wooden plies + arched top. The AV Rect. also has steel reinforcings under the outer covering.
    Why all of a sudden do we become disatisfied with the cases which,if this new one hadn't come along,we'd most likely have carried on using ?. I've had my TKL AV rect.case for close to 11 years & my Travelite for 9. The only case i'd personally change,is my Gator,which, being unable to buy another Travelite over here,was my second choice.
    I'd really be asking myself if i really did need another case,or is it simply change for the sake of it ?,
    Ivan
    ah, you've come to the wrong place to find folks who are not "unduly fascinated" by anything mandolin...........

Excuse me for saying so - but we seem to be unduly fascinated by 'any new case' that comes along. Last month it was the Northfield,now it's the Collings ??. What's really wrong with the cases that we have already or did everybody make a lousy choice?
    Geez, Ivan... It's either talk about this or fight about whether mandolins open up or not!

Seriously, though: I've bought a bunch of cases and haven't been totally satisfied with any of them..

My ideal F style case:
    1. Looks like a shaped TKL or this new Collings...
    2. Is built with premium materials like this new Collings...
    3. Is flight-rated like a Calton
    4. Has rubber feet and rubber bumpers around the latches like a Calton
    5. Will fit my mandolin with a tone gard, and not put pressure on the instrument
    6. Smells like a Collings!!!

Ok, before someone flames me, I realize that some of these goals are in opposition and such a case might not be possible ( looking like a shaped TKL and being flight rated would be tough)

Hey, I can dream, right? And I'd gladly pay $900-1000 for such a case...

I think we all enjoy the "case discussion" because we aren't perfectly happy with what's out there. I'm glad Collings and Northfield are giving us more choices...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

30. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Teak, I can't see Bill building an A case, since an A mandolin can live happily in the F case...& you have room for a coiled up strap or a small, round clay humidifier in the space. As far as price....not a chance it would be much cheaper...They're not a high production volume/ low quality item. (Yes, keep your head down) .
    Yeah, I hear you. I was actually trying to make a joke drawing a parallel between the fact that F-scroll mandolins cost twice as much as A-models due to the scroll and ... anyway, I can see where they wouldn't want to build a cheaper version for A models.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

I have no inside info regarding this, but my gut feeling is Collings will, in time, build an A style case in this Vintage line. From what I gathered by talking to a few folks on the job, and some shop owners who are heavy carriers of Collings instruments, in time, most Collings instrument sizes may be offered in this line of cases. How long-who knows. They have a dedicated area for the case line, new machinery is being designed and built by Collings to do these cases, and watching how Bill Collings goes first class in his work, I can imagine this will happen. I doubt he started out designing a whole new approach to "the case we carry" just to limit what its offered to carry in regards to the instruments he makes. I'd wager the electric models will enjoy this new design in time as well.
    Its not going to happen overnite or in a few months I would think.

I have a loved 02H Collings I would enjoy having such a case for. The TKL is way too bulky, heavy for such a classy cool small guitar.

I just pulled up the TKL website, and took notice to what is offered for the F style mandolin. If what I have experienced in regards to the guitar cases, as one climbs up the ladder to higher priced cases, the heavier they tend to get, and of course the nicer the inside becomes in regards to fabric, fit, etc . Not sure if they have different grades of quality of hardware.
    TKL 3352 TKL Traveline F-Style Mandolin Case View Image 59.95

TKL 4651 TKL Black Belt Traditional A/F Mandolin Bag View Image 49.95

TKL 4751 TKL Black Belt Deluxe A/F Mandolin Bag View Image 64.95

TKL 6151-2 TKL Zero-Gravity Combination A/F-Style Mandolin Case View Image 109.95

TKL 8852 TKL Prestige Arch-Top F-Style Mandolin Case View Image 199.95

TKL 8852 CAMO TKL Prestige Arch-Top F-Style Mandolin Case (Camouflage) 274.95

TKL 8852 TW TKL Prestige Arch-Top F-Style Mandolin Case (Tweed) View Image 264.95

TKL 8952 TKL Professional Arch-Top Oblong F-Style Mandolin Case View Image 329.95

TKL 8952 TW TKL Professional Arch-Top Oblong F-Style Mandolin Case (Tweed) View Image 394.95

What Bill Collings has done, is offer us the top rung from the getgo, with high quality hardware/interior/fit, but without the weight. And svelte style. Those of us who appreciate fine quality that goes beyond simple utility, will pay for what appeals to the senses. Add in what everyone who has had actual hands on, the "feel and carry" of the case, there you go.
    That's my take.

Our instrument of choice, the mandolin, is svelte and beautiful in shape and in its most utilitarian style. why not take that to the case its carried in. not only can you be thrilled when you open the case lid each day to play, you can be thrilled to just see the case. day after day,year after year, you get to appreciate what a couple hundred dollars cost. Rather than feel like you are heaving a cement block onto its side to open an ill fitting lid and latches. and to carry and appreciate the lightness, the quality. it will pay for itself in short term, especially for those of us who carry back and forth each day(to work or school).

you can drop the cost of this case in 24 hours at Dollywood folks-serious, and have gas at the end of the day-and I'm not talking about gear acquisition.

d

No doubt the new Collings case is fabulous, but for about the same money I'd buy a Calton. I might change my mind after seeing the Collings in person, but the Calton is classy looking and near bullet-proof, which for me is the essential reason to spend that much money for a case. A few more ounces, or couple pounds, whatever, in weight is inconsequential. Not like I'm hiking with it.

That all said, the Collings is classic and quality, and a good match for a classy instrument: the mando.

34. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

[QUOTE=Jstring;1494627] Hey, I can dream, right? And I'd gladly pay $900-1000 for such a case... /QUOTE]

OK, I get it......$35 picks, $750 cases, that's what we do here...............It does seem like a beautiful case, but who came up with that price point? Calton? Collings?

For example, 30+ years ago I was a clerk at a record store when CD's were first introduced. LP's listed at $5.98 and because we had a lot of competition on a busy campus location, we sold them for $3.69.......well CD's, you remember, were marketed (falsely) as this great audiophile medium with no static and superior sound and sold for $16 where I worked.......most everyone accepted it without question that it was a good thing to spend 4X as much on the new technology????????????? (not me) My point being, once we get used to the $16 price, it will never go back to $3.69 again........

In fairness, Taco Bell still has a 99 cent menu...........

36. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post: