Thread: First Mandolin Purchase

Default First Mandolin Purchase

Hello, Mandolin Cafe:

I am a former trumpet player (had to give up the trumpet because of cardiac issues, not enough lung power) who has always loved the mandolin. I have been reading the Forum here and seeking a good starter mandolin. I really like the Kentucky KM 505, 2016 Model. I have found a new one at a pretty good price at Folkmusician.com. I would appreciate any guidance and advice regarding this instrument. Folkmusician offers what seems to be a pretty thorough set up.
    Also, any ideas about a good self teaching instruction book/video?

Default Re: First Mandolin Purchase

The KM-505 is an excellent instrument and Folkmusician is highly regarded. Go for it.

You might try Don Julin's "Mandolin for Dummies" to get you started.

3. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Blog Entries

If you are not addicted to bluegrass, you might consider a flat top. A flat top can often provide really great build quality at an affordable price.

There are two Big Muddy mahogany M-11s in the classifieds I noticed, that I particularly like. Either one could make you happy for the rest of your life.

The arch-top (typical A or F style) has a sound particularly prized in bluegrass and grassy variants. Nothing wrong with them, they sound great. Just thinking that you might not want to jump into the often more costly (for the quality) arch top without knowing if that is what you want. Getting an arch top because that is what you want is great. Getting an arch top because that is what you know about...

Welcome to the insanity.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

+1 for the km505. It's a good mando for the $$. I owned one for a while--one of several Kentucky's.
    Living’ in the Mitten

7. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

You could over think this like most of us but with the 505 from Folkmusician you should have an excellent mandolin. You should be able to expect it to be well setup and sound good.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northwest Steve For This Useful Post:

Kentucky KM 505... at folkmusician.com
    Good affordable beginner-intermediate mandolin, good store. You won't regret the purchase.

As Eric F. said, Mandolin for Dummies is a good book. As a former trumpet player myself, I didn't learn much musically from it, but it has other information related to all aspects of the mandolin - technique, mandolin history, care and maintenance, introduction to some accomplished mandolinists and overview of some genres where mandolin is well represented, etc. - and was a good purchase. Apart from that, is there a particular genre you're looking to get into?

11. The following members say thank you to wooq for this post:

You can also get a lot of instruction from YouTube. Just search mandolin lessons.

13. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

mandolinlessons.com
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

I have a broad range of musical interests. I guess Bluegrass and Celtic are what drew me to the mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie1965 View Post
    Hello, Mandolin Cafe:

I am a former trumpet player (had to give up the trumpet because of cardiac issues, not enough lung power) who has always loved the mandolin. I have been reading the Forum here and seeking a good starter mandolin. I really like the Kentucky KM 505, 2016 Model. I have found a new one at a pretty good price at Folkmusician.com. I would appreciate any guidance and advice regarding this instrument. Folkmusician offers what seems to be a pretty thorough set up.
    I came from trumpet too! Sorry about your cardiac issues, I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't play my Strad 43. Hopefully things turn around and you can get back into it.i love the mandolin, but the trumpet is the greatest thing ever. Dont tell anybody on here i said that though

Anyway, there's too many brands to count. Seems like there's an endless amount of quality mandolins out there. Kentucky, even tho a pac rim made instrument, is a solid choice to go with if it's set up properly you shouldn't have an issue. I've never shopped from Folkmusician so I cant speak on their service. I havnt heard of anything negative on here about them so that's a good sign.

As for books, I've found decent success from Mandolin for Dummies as well as the Mel Bay Mandolin method books.
    I also got the O Brother Where Art Thou mandolin songbook so I could start playing tunes I recognized.

Good luck, mandolin threw me for a loop and still does, definitely a different world from playing brass instruments. I'm enjoying the challenge and have a huge respect to those who have managed to excel at it.
    2007 Lab/Pit Bull mix "Lucky"
    2004 persian cat "Ginger"
    2005 abandoned barn cat "Georgia"

Blog Entries

I am jealous of you in a way. All the fun you are going to have rediscovering music in a new but not unfamiliar way. So many "ah hah" moments and first time revelations coming up, that I will never again be able to experience as I did my first time.

Lots of real fun ahead. Enjoy the berry juice - don't miss any of it except what rolls down your chin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Bluegrass and Celtic
    You should learn some fiddle tunes, then, on top of a "this is how you hold the thing" book.

I'd suggest starting with the Mandolin Picker's Fakebook if you want to learn with tab, or the Fiddler's Fakebook if you want to learn mandolin while reading music. By the time you learn a dozen fiddle tunes in a key, you'll be able to play almost anything in that key by ear.

19. The following members say thank you to wooq for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hello, Mandolin Cafe:
    . . . any ideas about a good self teaching instruction book/video?
    I like to recommend a few specific things for 'newbies' who ask, and recently, rather than copy & paste a bunch of links and such, I added a page to my website that contains ideas about this very thing. You can see it here: Advice for mandolin beginners

There are quite a few threads here at the Cafe that deal with your question as well, you might be surprised at how much you can learn by searching for topics about any specific issues or questions you have.

Also, there is a social group for newbies here at the cafe you might want to check out, a link is in my signature.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

+1 for Robert @ Folkmusician. Good setups included in the price, straight shooter, knowledgeable, will try his best to answer any questions. I've bought two mandos from him. NFI.
    - Bill

22. The following members say thank you to Bill Findley for this post:

I third the Kentucky 505. Solid and workable. I found one for $300 maybe 5 years ago - then resold for the same via the classifieds.

24. The following members say thank you to chris.burcher for this post:

Thanks! I love your website; great resource for the beginner.