Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My wife told me to upgrade my junk Mandolin...

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: My wife told me to upgrade my junk Mandolin...

Of the two I would go for the Breedlove hands down. I play an American ff and I love it.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Grommet View Post
    You haven't mentioned what kind of music you like to play. That could be a pretty important factor and would help us to make suggestions...
    Thanks for the response. I am fond of fiddle tunes, but would love to learn more about bluegrass, classical, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    Of the two I would go for the Breedlove hands down. I play an American ff and I love it.
    Finally some love for the BL! My heart says "get the Breedlove", my brain says, "buy a used Eastman".

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by il Pirati View Post
    I did come across a used Collins MT that was heads and shoulders above the Loars, Kentuckys, and Washburns at Guitar Center. But it was more than I want to invest, and an A-Style, which I’d like to venture away from.
    Sounds like you may need to save some more money and stepup a used Collins will hold it's value since you liked the A model wait for a used F style. I don't know of any stores near you but get out and tey more always try as many as you can good luck
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I have come to believe it doesn't matter where it is made, but how it stirs my soul. It could be made in Timbuktu or Two Dot, Montana (a real town) and be painted purple. If it gives me a smile that is the mandolin for me. Just go and try to play as many mandos as you can. Then decide.

You will have a hard time a better deal then this 315 in the classifieds......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/98405#98405

Actually, I am surprised it is still there. NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I have come to believe it doesn't matter where it is made, but how it stirs my soul. It could be made in Timbuktu or Two Dot, Montana (a real town) and be painted purple.

You know, some of the most fun I have had lately was with a cheap Smiley face Ukulele. We pulled it directly out of the box and tuned it up (with sky high action), and passed it around playing and singing various songs that shouldn't be played on a uke. When you see grown guys strumming a Smily Face uke, you can't help but laugh. It was actually kinda cute with the women, but that is another story....

SO yeah, I totally agree with George.

Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I've played an Eastman 305 for the past three years, and I have loved it. I would vote for it any day amongst economically priced mandolins. That being said, I'm about to upgrade to a Collings MT because I've proven to myself that I'm going to stick with it. :-)

I like the sound and playability of my Eastman MD505 better than the Breedlove KF that I had. Once I owned the Eastman, the Breedlove rarely got played.

If it has to be an F model, buy the Eastman MD515CSB blem for $750 from the Mandolin Store:
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...ndolin-blem-2/
    Normally $1000
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wsprodlg_md515cs_(2).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	146449

You won't regret it.

PS- Please tell your wife to give my wife a call...I could use some encouragement to get another mandolin.

you can't go wrong with the breedlove kf . I a the loar 700, km 1050 , Collins mt & BREEDLOVE KF . always end up playing the kf more in last 3years only string changes . $750.00 on other 3. the km1050 back of the pack here .

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    But please don't delude yourself into thinking that that thing on a Breedlove is an F-style scroll! Yes, the Breedlove mandolin may be made in the USA, whereas the mandolins by Eastman, Kentucky, and The Loar are not, but Breedlove does not make an F-model. But these manufacturers others do! The Breedlove model has some sort of a wooden 'hook' on the Crossover model, and some sort of sawed-off, blunt protrusion on the Premier model. These things are NOT scrolls. (And many of us think they are quite ugly.) They do not involve anything near the level of careful carving, binding, and tight finish work required for a true, Gibson-style F scroll. The Breedlove design is all its own, and it qualifies as neither an A nor an F model.
    True, & my new Crossover has one, but I think of it more as a postmodern nod to the concept of the scroll than an attempt to replicate it. It certainly makes no sense to think of it as some sort of failed attempt to do a scroll. They could've done a scroll if they wanted to, or just left it off altogether and stuck with only "A" styles or two-pointers or whatever. The hook design works as a strap hanger, and when you look down at the instrument from playing position, you only see the side of it anyway, so it does look more like a scroll, if that's what you like to look at.

Note that they've also modified the headstock to match, with the same ironic minimalist design as the faux-scroll.

OTOH, the stubby block style non-scroll is hard to deal with, granted. I can only speculate that it is intended humorously, as in, "Scroll? You want a scroll? No you don't!"

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    It could be made in Timbuktu or Two Dot, Montana (a real town) and be painted purple.
    I saw a lawn mower at a flea market today that the fella had painted pink, supposedly so nobody would steal it! Purple, maybe.....but I have to draw the line at pink!!!!

I would say go back for the used Collings MT. A Breedlove Premier is, what, $1100? A used MT can be had for probably around $1600 and will completely blow away the Breedlove and be a joy to you for a long time. This is my completely subjective opinion.

If you up the ante just a little, and have a little patience, you could find an older Gibson F-9 for under 2k and hit a home run.... have your scroll, USA made, incredible sound and easy resale down the road.

Thanks a ton for everyone's input. I'm going to continue to peruse the classifieds here and think on a couple of things (A vs F, etc). I’ll update when/if I’ve made a decision!

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

A used MT can be had for probably around $1600 and will completely blow away the Breedlove and be a joy to you for a long time. This is my completely subjective opinion.
    IMHO, a Breedlove FF, KF or Premier is the equal of a an MT, especially the older pre-merger ones. I've owned both. The FF is still in the house and the MT is gone. I liked it, just not as much as the FF.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Regarding the Breedlove hook scroll versus the K style block "scroll"...

The hook scroll on the "F" styles make really handy strap hangers. Can't do that with a K style!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I prefer my Collings MT over the Breedlove KF. Also prefer my Eastman MD505 over the Breedlove.

You've been on this forum as long as I have. 43 posts offering advice on a reasonably priced American made F style and I'm the first one to suggest Morris? Sonny Morris builds great mandolins in his shop an hour down the Columbia River from me. I know you would love a Morris mandolin - it meets all your criteria. There is a Morris F4 and an F5 in the classifieds right now, each under $1600. Take your pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    To be honest, at your price point you really can't beat what's being made in China these days.

Personally, I would look towards finding a used Kentucky 1000 or 1050 (1050 has wider frets and scooped extension). Kentucky Master Models are considered the "best bang for your buck" by most people around here, and for good reason.

I see there's a used KM-1000 for $950 in the Classifieds right now. They currently retail way higher than that. I don't know the year it was built (NFI).

Good luck!

One additional CON on the Breedlove: You might have a REAL hard time selling a Breedlove if it doesn't work out for you. They are an acquired taste a lot of folk don't have.
    True. Bought the Premier OF which was conventional looking enough for my tastes. The OO series appears to me to be conventional also. But I'd have a hard time buying an FF or KF at any price. Great playing mandolin too. The best I have owned.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Check out "The Loar" brand also. I'm a little snobby when it comes to cheap instruments now that I have nice ones (I started with cheap junk like most do) but I have played 2 or 3 of these that sounds fantastic for the price. Look at a 600 or 700 model, which to me were miles above the lower ones.
    Good luck!
    I liked the Loar 600. Though I did sell it because I'm partial to radiused fingerboards. Good resale though.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Good morning all. I joined the forum back in 2009, but this is my first post. I read a ton back then, and had no money, and ended up buying a $100 Johnson A-style mandolin. I proceeded to play that thing for hundreds of hours over the course of a year or so, then I moved, started a new job, left home for work, had a baby, etc. I stopped playing and the mando ended up in storage, where it stayed until I came across it last weekend while looking for my catcher’s mitt.
    I’d been thinking about it for a while, so I brought the ol’ thing home, tuned it up, and started playing a bit. Terribly, mind you, but started re-hashing some of the old tunes.
    When my wife saw that I’d brought it back, she looked at me with pity, and said “I hate that damn thing, and hoped it would be broken. If you’re going to play, get yourself a decent mandolin already!”
    The Johnson is, rightfully, terrible. It doesn’t hold a tune AT ALL, like I have to constantly retune mid-practice. The G string sounds like a hive of bees. It’s almost impossible to hit the frets right, etc. But when played well, it can produce a nice sound, and I’ve learned a little bit on it. I’ve tried new strings, played with the setup, etc. I’m no expert, but I know junk, and this thing is, unfortunately, junk.
    And, in the Johnson’s defense, I am terrible. I haven’t played regularly in 6 years or so, I was never good to start with, I’m imprecise with my fingers, and can’t make a chord shape to save my life.
    Well, it’s not every day my wife tells me to go buy something new for myself, so off I set on the great adventure of purchasing a new mandolin under the guise that it’ll make me sound better, and make my practicing more bearable for my loved ones. I played pretty much every mando on a store wall in San Diego this last weekend, and while most of them were far better than mine (tone, sound, playability, quality, etc) I was not overly impressed. I did come across a used Collins MT that was heads and shoulders above the Loars, Kentuckys, and Washburns at Guitar Center. But it was more than I want to invest, and an A-Style, which I’d like to venture away from.

So, Long and Short, is that I’m looking for an upgrade to a very cheap instrument and I’ve identified two possible Courses of Action (COAs):

1) Buy a used Eastman 315 or 515
    PROS:
    -Affordable initial investment, can sell later without much loss
    -Positive reviews, classic good looks
    -I’ll be motivated to get better so I can sell the Eastman and justify purchasing a true “grail” mandolin
    CONS:
    -Chinese (I would greatly prefer an American Made mandolin)
    -I will want to upgrade again, and maybe soon depending on my progression

2) Buy a new Breedlove Premier KF
    PROS:
    -I’ll be motivated to really “earn” the instrument by learning to play much better
    -Really love the design aesthetic
    -American made (last of the Breedloves, it seems)
    -Quality enough I may never “outgrow” it
    -“Jumbo Frets”, radiused fret board, and wider nut mean I *may* actually sound better!
    CONS:
    -Larger initial investment ($1200)
    -I may find it’s not really my style, and will lose on resale

I can afford the Breedlove, but would obviously rather spend a good deal less. I can’t afford to jump straight into a Weber or something right now. I’d like to get away from the A-Style. I know I could get much more “bang for my buck”, but I’m a bit turned off by the shape right now, and I want to be motivated to play my new instrument.
    So, what would you do, and why? Any pros/cons I haven’t considered? I appreciate your input.
    I know you said you didn't like the A style. This might turn out to be a steal though. Used, US made, Breedlove OF Quartz. 2006 I think.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/272247577867...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

In your opinion, is an Eastman 515 a better instrument than the Breedlove Premier? That would make this a really easy decision. I don't want to pay more for a worse instrument just because of the MADE IN USA label. But I would prefer to pay more for a better instrument that is ALSO made in the USA. If that makes sense.
    Personally, I have owned an Eastman 515. Loved it. Sold it and got a nice resale. I now have a Breedlove Premier OF. I won't be selling it for a long time. For me it is a much better instrument, all the way around. I paid right at $1000.00. The sound is better. Much louder. Better sustain, easier to play. The tone is very even between bass and treble notes. On the really high end the notes are just so crisp. It likely isn't as good as a Weber, but it this price range it is far ahead of anything I have owned.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

+1 on Morris. A used Morris F5 style can be bought for $1100, if you can find one. A new Morris A5 is $1050.

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Wonder if she wouldn't mind speaking to my wife . . . a little peer pressure might help my cause!