Blog Entries

Default Haptic Metronome anyone?

Anyone else tried one of these yet?
    http://www.soundbrenner.com/

Daniel

2. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Haptic Metronome anyone?

Metronome? We don't need no steenkin' metronome!

Yes, they do have their uses but I've hated them ever since I took piano lessons back in the '60s. I'd think this vibrating one would be distracting.
    For me, the best metronome is playing with a group of other people. The tempo may vary, but it's a LOT more fun.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I think they're targeting the wrong limb. Don't we tap our feet when we play? Or dance?

If you're gonna take this approach, I would think something around the ankle might be better. Or a shoe with a little pneumatic actuator underneath, so it stomps for you. Feel free to contact me for patent rights to the SneakerStomp(TM).

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

...or a tiny hammer inside a hat would be great.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I think they're targeting the wrong limb. Don't we tap our feet when we play? Or dance?

If you're gonna take this approach, I would think something around the ankle might be better. Or a shoe with a little pneumatic actuator underneath, so it stomps for you. Feel free to contact me for patent rights to the SneakerStomp(TM).
    I watched the video. It was made to be worn on ankles and legs as well as arms/wrists. I use a simple electronic metronome which seems to work well. This might be better but I don't think I need it. For what it does the price $99 seems reasonable, I suppose.

I never heard this term haptic:

haptic
    ˈhaptik/
    adjectivetechnical
    adjective: haptic

of or relating to the sense of touch, in particular relating to the perception and manipulation of objects using the senses of touch and proprioception.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It looks pretty good, but I think you need to have a smartphone or a tablet to control it and set tempos. It doesn't seem to be a stand-alone device.

Jack

On the surface I initially thought, "stupid waste of technology". Then I realized multiple units could be sync'd to a single source. That would make them quite useful in the studio or for band practice. Definitely not a main stream product, but useful none the less.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Quote Originally Posted by mando.player View Post
    On the surface I initially thought, "stupid waste of technology". Then I realized multiple units could be sync'd to a single source. That would make them quite useful in the studio or for band practice. Definitely not a main stream product, but useful none the less.
    I dunno, there are old-school methods that can still work there. In a former life I was the lead guitar player in an an electric blues band. At one point, we were having trouble getting the bass player and drummer to lock up together. So we had the bass player stand in front of the drum kit, and rest the back of his heel against the kick drum head and rim. That worked pretty well. Of course you need a good drummer too...

Blog Entries

I'm not an evangelist, and I am not here to promote the Pulse. But I thought I'd share my impressions...

You don't need the app to run the Pulse. It responds to bezel turns and various sorts of taps on the face. On/off and tempo can be adjusted without the app.
    With the app you can change the intensity and duration of vibration, the color of the LED flash, etc. You can upload beats created in a computer via DAW. You can control up to 5 units simultaneously.
    Tempos and intensities are so adjustable that you can, for example, set the tempo for 200bpm and then cut the 1 and the 3 so that you key on the 2 and the 4. A practice advocated to me by guitarist Eric Skye.

It comes with 2 straps (large and small), a pick, and stickers. (I use a Wegen TF140 so the pick is useless, but I've got a sticker on my case now. )
    I use the larger strap around my left arm and put the Pulse in the crook of my elbow. It took me a few tries to find a spot that was sensitive enough to feel while concentrating on playing.

I don't think I'll ever gig with it, a concept that Soundbrenner seem keen to promote with the Pulse. But I do like it. I find it easier (more convenient) to use than a phone app. Musical benefit: if I wander off the beat I find I can wander back to it as well. This is not possible for me with other metronomes.

BTW, the app is free and very good all by itself.

Happy to answer questions. I'll post some pics a bit later.

Daniel

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	146543
    Here is the whole kit & kaboodle.

Daniel

There is also the BodyBeat metronome. Not cheap, either though.

Jack

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/bodybeatsync/