Thread: I want to buy an "E"!

Default I want to buy an "E"!

I hope I'm posting this in the right section … I'm new to this site and relatively new to the instrument. Playing the mandolin since seven months now and I'm absolutely in love with it! Now I've upgraded - earlier than i planned to - from my Rover RM-50 to a Kentucky KM-855. Went to the shop, played it for two hours and just couldn't leave without it …
    I'm really really enjoying my new mandolin. The only thing I miss: The E-String seems to be really quiet compared to the other strings. On my Rover I always loved the high pitched ringing of the E-string, although it was quite uncontrollable and buzzy at times. The Kentucky sounds lovely on the bass and medium range side, but to get this nice ring, I've really got to make an effort. Might have to do with my low-level-skills, but is there a way to “boost” the E-string? I'm going to take the mandolin to the shop again for a free “second setup” anyway, but I'm hoping to get some advice here, too …
    Thanks for welcoming me into the mandocafé community! Sorry if my English is not that good - I live in Berlin (also not really Bluegrass homeland, luckily enough I found a great teacher ...).
    All the best from Germany!
    Malin

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: I want to buy an "E"!

There you go.
    And if that does not help, you could try a pair of E strings from a heavier set of strings (if you get them up to pitch without breaking, that is, depending on scale length); but it is a compromise at best, because most mandolins are either strong in bass or strong in treble, but not both.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

3. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Malin 

Blog Entries

Could be a set up issue or the bridge might benefit from being fitted better.
    But always always always start with a new set of strings.

Good luck!
    Daniel

5. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

Malin 

Okay. I'll play...

Category is: "Famous Bluegrass Song"

_ e _ _ _ _ _ e _ _ _ _ _ e

Seriously though, you could experiment with different string sizes, as stated above. You can purchase "single strings" at (Just Strings.com). NFI, but, they are a sponsor of this site, as well.

Best of luck.
    "If you pick it... It will never heal." - Mom

7. The following members say thank you to Hadji36 for this post:

Malin 

I would go with Bertram's advice and start with a string change. It defiantly can be a setup issue as well.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

9. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Malin 

Not a lot of options on E strings ... .09, .10, .11 basically. Coated may be an option but iirc that's only done on the wound strings (?) More importantly you might try different picks! That can make a big difference.

Try a pick made out of some kind of harder material, picks that make the wound strings sound good some times kill the unwound strings, trying different strings and picks is something that all of have gone through and it takes time to get the right combination...

Have a good trip doing it.....Willie

12. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Malin 

Thank you all so much!!!! I'll let the people at the shop try with a different E-string. So the higher the string gauge the louder the tone?
    I use the Wegen M100 which I like a lot, but now I have a reason to do some more pick testing...

Bleckberry Blossem? *german accent off*

Quote Originally Posted by Hadji36 View Post
    Okay. I'll play...

Category is: "Famous Bluegrass Song"

_ e _ _ _ _ _ e _ _ _ _ _ e
    Jerusalem Ridge

But strictly speaking, it's not a "song" -- it's an instrumental tune.

If you can get D'addario singles there, try a pair of the LE0115 on the E. Or you can buy the medium/heavy set that they come with EJ75.
    I'm betting that the strings on there are just old. My E strings seem to go dead faster than the rest.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

I like the EXP74CM's which give you the heavier A and E from the 75s but the normal G and D from the 74 set. I just bought a few from Strings and Beyond. My first purchase with them and it was cheaper that the other site I had been using, plus a 10% discount popped up.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for the great advice. I'll talk with the guys in the shop about just replacing the E string or going for the EXP74CM "mixed" package. I sure hope a mandolin like this should support heavier strings. And I'll definitely try the dunlop primetone...

If you watch the D'Addario promo video for the EXP74CM set, Chris Thile describes wanting those specific string gauges for basically the same reason you're talking about. After comparing similar Primetone and Wegen picks yesterday, I think the strings will help more than the pick swap. Primetones are relatively inexpensive, though, so definitely try them out.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

22. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Malin 

That mandolin should have no problem supporting medium-heavy strings, at least in the gauges as discussed above. I've tried as heavy as .11 o n my KM 675 without issue...actually, that mando really likes that EJ75 set (or maybe it was exp 75?)...Good luck!
    Chuck

Just to give you some feedback ... Well, the D'Addario EXP74CM did the trick! Just - wow!!!! Didn't think strings could make such a big difference! It's like having a different instrument ... Not that it was bad before, but it's a lot more balanced now. Thanks to y'all!
    Malin

25. The following members say thank you to Malin for this post:

RodCH 

Had the same experience with a mando. When I switched to .0115" Es, it took care of it. Glad it worked for you, also.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I find when my e string sounds thin, I have wandered toward the bridge with my pick, out of the sweet spot. It is a habit I'm trying to break. When I get back to correct spot, things fatten up.

I'm also going to fatter picks. Right now I'm liking a Gypsey Jazz from Wegen. A thick pick and a loose grip is giving me a better tone.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Looks like your question was already answered so I just want to add that your English is excellent. Better, alas, than that of many Americans I know.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

29. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Malin 

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    Had the same experience with a mando. When I switched to .0115" Es, it took care of it. Glad it worked for you, also.
    I too have switched to 11.5 e string and it solved my problem . I've almost always used j74s but never really liked the weak e. I tried the ej74cm set, but the coated strings sound different to me and I didn't really like the thicker a string. So I bought a bunch of single 11.5 strings and am back to the j74 set with the 11.5 e added. It's pretty perfect to me.

31. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Malin 

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    I too have switched to 11.5 e string and it solved my problem . I've almost always used j74s but never really liked the weak e. I tried the ej74cm set, but the coated strings sound different to me and I didn't really like the thicker a string. So I bought a bunch of single 11.5 strings and am back to the j74 set with the 11.5 e added. It's pretty perfect to me.
    Have you considered adding an .016 A as in the EJ75 set to create essentially an uncoated version of the EXP74CM's?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Here's another happy German camper on 74CMs.
    Herzlich willkommen an Bord, Malin....

34. The following members say thank you to pit lenz for this post:

Malin 

Hi Pit, danke and greetings to Cologne! Great to be in good 74CM company...

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I had to order more strings yesterday (using EXP74CM for mandolin and EXP16 for guitar), needed two sets of each, and I shopped around quite a bit. Best price was with Elderly, who had Strings & Beyond beat since I was ordering multiple sets. Just offering this info for the online shoppers in case anyone is interested. I added items to carts at many sites to determine for certain where to get my savings, and Elderly got most of my business yesterday.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

37. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Malin 

I have a set of EXP75s to install, but the EJs won't quit. My hands are absurdly dry, which sucks for everything except prolonged string life.

Part of me wishes it was easier to make custom mando sets to experiment, but the D'Addario stock sets are pretty good as is, and not worth the extra cost or hassle to modify.