Thread: Neither mandolin nor banjo...

Default Neither mandolin nor banjo...

No idea which site is more appropriate for this video. Maybe neither. Maybe both. Anyway, here you go: https://www.facebook.com/inthen0w/vi...9613635855676/
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Neither mandolin nor banjo...

I have seen this before, amazing job, don't know how they use those picks, and play fretless all over the neck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

That is some funky stuff. I dig it.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

WOW! I think that sums it up!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Nice video, Michael. The instrument is the "Shamisen" and itīs tuned (or can be tuned) B-e-b or B-e-a. They use pentatonic scales very often. Maybe thatīs the reason why a lot of japanese music sounds very similar to rock or oldtime music (at least to my ear).
    Here are some more pretty funky samples:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Wolf For This Useful Post:

Wow, great stuff! We mandolinist types are always complaining about pick noise, but it seems to be part of the music here. Amazing sounds.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Nice video, Michael. The instrument is the "Shamisen" and itīs tuned (or can be tuned) B-e-b or B-e-a. They use pentatonic scales very often. Maybe thatīs the reason why a lot of japanese music sounds very similar to rock or oldtime music (at least to my ear).
    I guess I should have posted it at the Shamisen Cafe... Thanks for the info and video links, Michael!
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I bet they never complain about pick slippage...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I believe this is an updated version of an old swing tune, "When It's Cherry Blossom Time In Osaka."

And the "pick noise," if you want to call it that, does seem to be an integral aspect of shamisen playing. It adds a rhythmic element to the music, or perhaps just emphasizes it. Some players in the videos Michael posted occasionally use their thumbs, presumably to bring melody to the forefront in these passages.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!