Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking solo's in Gospel tunes

Default Taking solo's in Gospel tunes

I play in a bluegrass gospel band where we write a lot of our own material. We play out about 50 to 60 dates a year, mainly churches, festivals, etc. One of the things that I often wonder about is if it's ok or should we limit the amount of intrumental breaks we take in a song. I know that the main purpose is to convey a message in the lyrics and I often times wonder if the solo's take away from this. We have some stellar musician's in our band (myself not included,) and at times I struggle with the thought that putting the attention on the muscianship takes away from the message.
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Taking solo's in Gospel tunes

There is a line there somewhere. The break makes the music more interesting and captures the audience, but it puts the attention on the performer and makes the performance itself the subject, distracting attention from the real message. A really good, but really hard question.

There is doubtless a tasteful way to do this, and perhaps a way that enhances the message.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I don't believe solos are a bad thing at all in gospel music. The way I see it, the preacher preaches, not the musicians. I'm willing to bet that the band is asked to play as entertainment and enjoyment for the congregation and/or audience.

Blog Entries

Well...

Many churches view the music, choir or band, as a ministry. One of several. While entertaining, they (often) are not, strictly speaking, entertainment.

I would think it would depend on the church and the pastor a bit.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Mateus 

I don't know about solos in church settings,,probably they will be more like interjections,, but I would keep them short, basic and melodic...

my band plays mainly bluegrass but we do have some gospel numbers. for those songs, I either focus on the vocals or, if we want to include an instrumental break, it will be the melody of the song, perhaps done as doublestops or with tremolo. I agree with JeffD's assessment, that context must be taken into account.
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.

I also play in a BG gospel band and we play a "break" between each verse like secular BG. The message is in the lyrics but the entertainment is in the presentation. I see no reason that Christian people shouldn't be entertained as well as hearing the message just my opinion, yours may vary.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Not a problem. Solo away. If Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver can play solos in their gospel numbers, so can you. And if you think the only time you're sending a message is when you're singing, you are mistaken.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

I believe most Christians would believe that the talent to play and solo is a God given talent that some, but not all, are blessed with. I say solo away.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

13. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Psalm 98:4!

I personally would not want to perform for a church that didn't welcome music as part of worship. In my humble opinion, there is little in this mortal life that evokes a sense of the numinous better than beautiful music.

That said, there is a time and a place, and in front of a congregation may not be the place to bust out a wild lick. Keep it tasteful and within the context of the music, to push the song along. At a festival it's a bit different, since people are there explicitly for the music, so stepping into the light a bit isn't necessarily bad.

IMHO of course.

I play in a band that does bluegrass/gospel for Catholic Masses.

A solo depends on the song and where in the Mass the song is being done.

For example, we do the number "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus". If this is for a processional we don't do solos but for a prelude or other parts of the Mass there could be a solo.

Usually our closing is some up-tempo number ("I'll Fly Away, "I Saw the Light", etc.). For this we almost always have vocal solos, instrumental solos and a free-jam. Can get to be "interesting".

So, the short answer to the original poster - it depends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mandolins: Michael Kelley LFN-E, Ibanez M150 w/Baggs Radius (tuned to F)
    Guitars: Martin DX1E w/Fishman Aura (external), Baby Taylor, Ibanez Artwood 12 string,
    Epiphone Les Paul w/Fralin pickups, G&L AST

Ukuleles: Kala KA-15S soprano, Cordoba 20BM baritone

As a Pastor and musician, the message spoken and musically presented is the reason for worship services. A tasteful interlude enhances the message being presented. A long intricate solo can obscure the ultimate reason for the song or hymn. A person who becomes self absorbed in a prayer also moves the corporate worship away from connecting with God.
    There are settings in the Church where entertaining music is desired and sought. The fellowship gatherings, ministries to seniors, picnics dinners. In those setting let it rip. God has blessed some with wonderful gifts and they should be used for His Glory.

There certainly are points as mentioned above where the purpose of the song may give lend the musician to bring it.

17. The following members say thank you to texaspaul for this post:

And if you think the only time you're sending a message is when you're singing, you are mistaken.
    That's what I was going to say. But since I have no business speaking on the subject, I'm glad you said it.
    Bobby Bill

19. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

Regardless of context you should always limit the banjo breaks.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post:

I'm not much of a churchgoing man, but imho, I don't know if words can describe the glory of the sacred as adequately as music can.

23. The following members say thank you to KEB for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Hart View Post
    I play in a bluegrass gospel band...
    I think you answered your own question. But just to make it clear:

Is it a gospel band, or a bluegrass gospel band? Bluegrass has instrumental breaks between verses. You don't have to do it all the time, but there's no reason to shy away from putting breaks in there. That's what bluegrass is. Listen to all the gospel music Bill Monroe did with his bluegrass boys. Not every song has breaks, but many of them did. Unlike pure secular bluegrass songs or instrumental-only tunes, the breaks seemed to be fairly short and simple.

If you do a mixture of pure songs with no breaks and songs with breaks, you'll be OK. Just know your audience. If you're playing in church, you might want to do less instrumental stuff (maybe only one instrument takes a break between verses), whereas at a festival you might do more (pass it around to several instruments between verses).

Thanks all for the input. This is why I love the cafe'! You all have confirmed what I thought.
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Agree with everyone here. I like to play somewhat simplified solos in most cases. There's a great little kick off/turn around that you can hear in tons of Monroe tunes or others like Lawson that I like to do. It's just sounds right! lol.

I think as long as you don't cross the line of "showing off" then you're good to go.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Uhmmm... In the absence of a choir, don't pipe organs, or electric versions thereof, ONLY do solos?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

28. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Make a Joyful noise unto the Lord ......... I would say that can be done with a voice or an instrument. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

30. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

if they are asking you back you're doing something right. just don't do the gene simmons tounge thing during a solo or the ronnie james dio 'devil horns' thing afterwards and you'll be fine!

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

I heard a jazz trumpet player playing solo at a large church function once. He was blasting away, he knew he was playing for God, and I guess so did everyone else, so, with that intent, anything goes....

The Spirit doesn't transmit through words alone; music certainly does it too.
    I don't think you should hold back from solos.
    If someone's playing with meaning and heart, it's worth listening to.
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

I'm completely new to the bluegrass world, so take my opinion as something of an outsider.

My dad has played bluegrass all my life. One of the things that always kept me out was it seemed like every fourth word someone was playing a solo. At the time, I listened to tons of rock music full of guitar solos, but the focus was still the song. Gibson used to run an ad in the guitar magazines with the line "Lyrics: Wasted time between solos." Bluegrass seemed to personify this.

I've since realized it's not as excessive as I thought, but I still appreciate more song-focus. A few songs light on (or devoid of) soloing makes the burners seem that much better.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Here are my 2 cents...

Gospel, Praise and worship music, hymns, contemporary Christian music, etc are all WORSHIP. The intention of the song is to express ones's praise, awe and thanksgiving to the BIG audience of ONE. So with that said... if you are playing to that BIG audience of ONE with your solo with that mindset of adoration in worship expressed in your playing, then by all means solo away (tastefully of course),... but if you are playing that solo thinking you are playing to the BIG audience of ONE, but really seeking the adoration and praise of the congregation or audience, then your talent and intent are misplaced in that particular setting and genre.

In other words consider your motive before anything else, (is it true worship? or are you seeking praise from others?) ...otherwise I believe it will all just be justification.

As others have said, this is just IMHO.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous