Thread: Right hand shakes

Jim1Hays

Default Right hand shakes

I am trying to keep from resting my right hand on the bridge and strings behind the bridge. When I do so, after 2 or 3 minutes my right hand seems to lose control and start shaking to the point I cannot hit the strings properly. I found I was pressing too hard with my fore arm was causing some of it but even after correcting it, I still get the problem. Any suggestions!

Default Re: Right hand shakes

I have a particular guitar where I have to be careful how I lay my arm over it. There is a nerve pressure point right near the inside of the elbow and if I lay it on the edge of the guitar then I will lose strength in my right hand and lose control over my right hand. I do not have to be pressing all that hard for it to happen. The sharp edge of the instrument just has to be hitting the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1hays View Post
    I am trying to keep from resting my right hand on the bridge and strings behind the bridge. When I do so, after 2 or 3 minutes my right hand seems to lose control and start shaking to the point I cannot hit the strings properly. I found I was pressing too hard with my fore arm was causing some of it but even after correcting it, I still get the problem. Any suggestions!
    Try an arm rest. It puts your arm in a more comfortable position and the edge is not sharp.

Blog Entries

I have had same reaction to rim pressing against nerves in forearm. At home I angle the headstock out a touch to relieve.

Also I have a armrest that helps as mentioned above. Someone(JeffD?) suggested using a sports band on the forearm - I imagine that could help also

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Also I have a armrest that helps as mentioned above. Someone(JeffD?) suggested using a sports band on the forearm - I imagine that could help also
    Yes that is what I do. Not so much for nerve pressure as to keep my sweaty forearm from marring the finish of the instrument. But it also is MUCH more comfortable not having the edge digging into my arm, so I do think it may help.

I use something like this.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....