Thread: Mando Strat, strings, scarcity, and value

Default Mando Strat, strings, scarcity, and value

I purchased a fender mando strat a few years ago. I was looking to change the strings on the e-mando and realized that the instrument had been discontinued. I was surprised to see that they are not very easy to find for sale as well. Amazon has one used mando strat for sale for $999, which seems utterly ridiculous to me. It isn't close to being a thousand dollar instrument, but anyone can set a pie-in-the-sky price.

But, what happened?

These instruments were sold though Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, etc. Because, well, Fender. I find it hard to believe that they are so scarce now.

Default Re: Mando Strat, strings, scarcity, and value

They aren't that hard to find used. -- search craigslist.org. But more to the point, I wasn't too enamored of the one I sold last year on CL. Turned around and bought a much much nicer used Ryder which I enjoy tremendously for half that pie-in-the-sky price.

Geoffrey

3. The following members say thank you to geoffreymbrown for this post:

Newbie Seeking Clues tangleweeds's Avatar

I was sooo tempted by those when they were still in production and the street price was low. At the current prices, not so much. I'll have to wait for the next cool thing to come along.
    recurrent beginner spring 2020 (2016, 2014, 2010)

Eastman MD-515 ... Kentucky KM-172 ... Trinity College Octave TC-325B ... Rogue RM-100A
    various "artisan tweaked" tin whistles ... digital piano ... other small instruments ... way too much sheet music

As far as strings are concerned, you can easily make up a set from your favorite electric guitar strings. There's quite a bit of overlap in the string gauges between mandolins and guitars. I too was salivating over them but soon realized that they have only 1 pickup (at least the Mando Strats I've seen) and as such, are kind of a one trick pony. With 2 pickups, they could be so much more.

Leb B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by geoffreymbrown View Post
    But more to the point, I wasn't too enamored of the one I sold last year on CL.

Geoffrey
    Mine is pretty meh as well. I mainly use it un-amplified because it is quiet. But I was surprised to see that it might be hard to replace.

Craigslist prices seem to be holding at $300, which was retail. I don't think that I would ever pay more than that.

This has motivated me to make sure it goes back into the gig-bag.

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    and as such, are kind of a one trick pony. With 2 pickups, they could be so much more.

Leb B.
    Clearwater, FL
    I agree with this, but my expectations were realistic given the cost of the instrument. I like it, but don't love it. I would definitely part with it for 1K. Which seems crazy.

Ps. I am writing this in Clearwater as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyesquire View Post
    Ps. I am writing this in Clearwater as well!!
    You don't say. Are you a resident or visitor? Who knew there would be another Clearwater poster!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I agree with this, but my expectations were realistic given the cost of the instrument. I like it, but don't love it.
    I hear ya. My expectations were realistic too but a bit different from yours when I bought a Morgan Monroe solid body tele mandolin with 2 pickups. When I get around to upgrading the pickups, it will be quite the player as well. In the meantime, its plenty versatile. Oh and by the way, I bought it for $225 used here on the café. There's lots of variations on each theme available out there. It all depends on what you want...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I always wanted one of the vintage ones and when Fender started making them again i bought one. That price posted about is around the vintage price which is way over priced for the remakes. I enjoy mone but play my mandobird the most. Mine is 4 string though about getting an 8 but will probably wait and see what the prices do. A 5 string would really be nice
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

You can order strings from our own mrmando at his emando site: http://emando.com/shop/strings8.htm

Len - Sounds like you got a great deal because that is what I paid for my Mando Strat. It was new, but I would rather have an extra pickup. By the way, live St. Pete, work in Clearwater!

Thanks all, I hadn't thought that the seller might think that he had a 60's Fender "mandocaster."

Len - Sounds like you got a great deal because that is what I paid for my Mando Strat. It was new, but I would rather have an extra pickup. By the way, live St. Pete, work in Clearwater!
    Mine is a Tele style but I am partial to Telecasters in general. The 2nd bridge pickup does add another dimension to the sounds you can get out of it. Love St. Pete and try to get there as often as possible, I live and work in Clearwater but my wife works in downtown St. Pete.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	146181

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

14. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I have owned a four string Fender Mando Strat for about a year. I bought it used and with some improvements like a moon gazer bridge with four saddles, a duncan antiquities pickup and better pots, cap and wiring, I really like it. The string selection not the greatest. I have Fender ball end strings on it now and there are ok but the Daddario ejs74,s sound and feel better, but you have to put balls an the strings which I find to be a real pain and not good for a quick string replacement if you break one on a gig. Even with the extra cost of the upgrades I think it's a good deal for a very serviceable electric mando. If you want to get crunchy it can't be beat. I run mine through a Fender Vibrolux with a tube screamer and sit in with a local rock band from time to time and have a ball. Is it worth the price of the $999.99 of the Amazon mando? Not a chance.
    dick wade

I bought one of the reissues. I'm surprised they disappeared so quickly from Fender's lineup. I love mine. The only thing I did was replace the saddles with compensated ones that improved the intonation significantly. I was planning on upgrading with a moongazer pickup someday, but haven't gotten around to it. I thought they were a good value, but then I am also a huge Fender fan. The prices on the vintage ones are so high. There's one in the upstairs case at Tall Toad in Petaluma right now. I think the hang tag said $2995. When the reissues hit that mark I'm selling mine...
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    As far as strings are concerned, you can easily make up a set from your favorite electric guitar strings. There's quite a bit of overlap in the string gauges between mandolins and guitars. I too was salivating over them but soon realized that they have only 1 pickup (at least the Mando Strats I've seen) and as such, are kind of a one trick pony. With 2 pickups, they could be so much more.

Leb B.
    Clearwater, FL
    I did something like that--I had some sets I got free at a guitar show that I picked the gauges from two sets (As I have an 8 string Mandobird--but you can do the same thing with any electric mandolin)--but next string change I may just buy a couple of sets & mix & match & have some extras for a guitar--so I'll have to plan the purchase.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I just save the ball ends when I change guitar strings and use them with mandolin sets
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I was told a few years ago when I was playing an Eastwood Mandocaster that using the ball ends on loop end mandolin strings is not the best idea because they lack the ability to be "picked-up" well. I did notice a difference in the E strings after changing to the ball ends.
    Raphael Ciani Galiano circa 1920
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Vivitone Acoustic #338 circa 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop
    Shutt/ Harmony Viol Mandolin circa 1930