Thread: Bach Cello Suite No. 1 - Prelude in D on mandolin

Default Bach Cello Suite No. 1 - Prelude in D on mandolin

After many MANY views of Alex Timmerman's performance posted on this very helpful thread (thanks @tkdboyd), I finally have a successful playthrough of this on video.

For some reason I get nervous and VERY prone to mistakes when I know I'm recording, so I was really happy this came out right. Aside from my pick holding, which I know is wrong, any comments/criticisms are welcome.

working on the allemande now!
    Vinnie

Eastman MD-305C
    Kentucky KM-140S (sold)
    Rogue (sold)

2. The following members say thank you to whitelines for this post:

Default Re: Bach Cello Suite No. 1 - Prelude in D on mandolin

Well done..

Try giving the notes a little more space and consider punctuation .

As to your pick grip.. experiment a bit.

4. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Hey Vinnie, your pick grip is not a huge deal (not the norm, but a few prominent players do use the same grip). The real issues is your pick direction. You're using a pretty big mixed bag of pick strokes, it almost looks like an electric guitar player's "economy" style playing. Take it from someone who had to totally rework their pick direction after years of ingrained bad habits, squaring away your right hand approach will drastically improve your sound and consistency. Revisit that entire thread you linked, especially post #17 explaining the reason for specific pick direction. Take the music for this piece along with Mr. Timmerman's video (slowed down if possible) and write in his pick strokes below the notes in your music. It'll take some serious effort to unlearn what you've already ingrained, but I guarantee you that doing this homework and getting your right hand in line with Mr. Timmerman's will completely elevate every aspect this piece for you (smoothness, timing, tone, etc.). All the best,

Edit: just realized that you can't see Mr. Timmerman's hand the whole time. Check out this video of Caterina:

Last edited by Jordan Ramsey; May-07-2016 at 12:48am. Reason: Add video
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jordan! Pick direction is something I've never really thought of nor understood why it would make such a difference. When I step up my direction game I'll post a better vid!
    Vinnie

Eastman MD-305C
    Kentucky KM-140S (sold)
    Rogue (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by whitelines View Post
    After many MANY views of Alex Timmerman's performance posted on this very helpful thread (thanks @tkdboyd), I finally have a successful playthrough of this on video.
    Re: Alex's playing. I think everyone should be made aware that Alex is playing with a Roman style pick and the technique one uses with those picks are very different from other styles for instance Caterina who plays in the German style. Pick direction may be similar but the way the pick is held and the tone you get is very different.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: