Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: )McClung arm rest - really disappointed

Default Re: )McClung arm rest - really disappointed

To the OP, imagine what the mark would have been without an arm rest. A few years of dragging your arm around the edge probably would have made a much larger mark!

Love them, all my mandos will have an arm rest.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    To the OP, imagine what the mark would have been without an arm rest. A few years of dragging your arm around the edge probably would have made a much larger mark!

Love them, all my mandos will have an arm rest.
    Yes, you are right. Experienced that with an old Gibson A.

Here's another anecdotal story...I have stayed in touch with Steven Gilchrist since I got my A3 in 1993. I saw him last in 2010 in Nashville where I asked him if he would take my mando back with him and rub out and repair various minor dings and one larger skid mark from trying to re-locate the bridge. He stopped short of saying a flat "no" but told me he liked the way the mando looked and it was obviously loved and used which is why he made it. I know pristine, unplayed instruments are worth more money but I would rather have one that was well played in and sounding great albeit a few dings. Having said that I will add I've been freaked out at how some of our mando-heros have trashed their historic instruments with poor technique!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Seems to me something kept on your mando for "years" could leave a mark...

I don't think it's right to call out the McClung for something he warns about and is pretty well known...$0.02
    Agreed! All brands of arm rests that clamp on could do the same thing.

I've used McClung arm rests for years never had a problem even if it did end up leaving a mark it would be under the arm rest -- it's kind of like a scuff under base of the bridge. Do I care?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Was going to town on my mandolin for days, and then found a mark on my wrist. Don't believe it can be removed, but perhaps I can sandblast it out. Meanwhile, installed a McClung and it's much more comfortable to play. Meanwhile, my wife hasn't seen that dent on my wrist ... maybe I can hide it so she won't have a fit. ;-)

6. The following members say thank you to DiegoInSeneca for this post: