Thread: My wonderful experience at Carter's Vintage

Default My wonderful experience at Carter's Vintage

I live in Tennessee, so you'd think I would have made the pilgrimage to Carter's Vintage Guitars in Nashville (http://www.cartervintage.com/). But somehow I had never made it there. It's a huge store, with lots of interesting things, even in the main traffic area (notably a beautiful 1925 Gibson TB3, whose arched head gave it a "pop" that made for a penetrating sound). I told a salesperson that I had always had this dream to play a teens or twenties Gibson mandola, like the ones they have advertised here http://www.cartervintage.com/mandopa...lins.html#21h1. Oh, he said. You want the high-end room. Just help yourself and let us know if you need anything.

Just help yourself?

I had walked right by the high-end room near the front of the building. The only instruments behind glass, understandably, were four Loars. Amid multiple Gilchrists, a Monteleone, a Duff, and many fine Gibson mandolins from a variety of eras, I found a Gibson mandola or two, along with two magnificent K2 mandocellos. The 1915 one at the bottom of the link above was, in my opinion, simply spectacular—and reasonably priced (well, for someone). Every time I picked up a new amazing instrument, I looked around somewhat apprehensively, but no one bothered me or was keeping an eye on me, though one sales clerk looked in and smiled once or twice. On the way out, I played "Ain't Misbehavin" (I wasn't, after all) on a '41 Epiphone Emperor and regretfully left.

I never expected to be able to play so many fantastic instruments in one place and to have so much fun doing it. I guess the long and short of this is: if you're in Nashville and thinking about going to Carter's, don't pass it up!
    Last edited by Scot63; May-05-2016 at 12:18pm.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scot63 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My wonderful experience at Carter's Vintage

Very similar to my experience, except I went before the Loars got put behind glass. They were hanging in that front room. Man, I was so afraid I was going to sing one of them!! Awesome time, for sure, glad to hear the ambience and inventory remain spectacular...
    Chuck

Not to hijack, but the fact there are four Loars for sale in the world at any one given time amazes me, yet alone four for sale in ONE SHOP!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Not to hijack, but the fact there are four Loars for sale in the world at any one given time amazes me, yet alone four for sale in ONE SHOP!
    Really? That just tells me that the asking prices have not adjusted to the current market. But there are generally 5-10 on the public market and who knows how many change hands privately. Carter's is a fantastic store. A must see if you're in Nashville!

6. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

I thought they were supposed to be rare? Or, as the record collectors like to say, scarce (as opposed to rare)........

Was there about 3 weeks ago and had basically the exact same experience (also from TN, and also had not yet been there!).

Spoke with Adam and several other of the staff. Was great to play some really terrific mandos and learn what some truly top shelf mandos play like. I learned much about the character and setup of different makers.

Walked out with a Gilchrist (pick) and a nice hat. That was all that my wallet and my time would afford me that day.

Carters' staff was top notch too and I know when I do go to buy my next mando, it will be there that I go to do it.
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Walter and Christie are such nice folks. And their store is ...... well it's like going to The Toy Box toy store when I was a kid .... the same endorphin rush I'm sure. I would not have played as many fine mandolins and guitars as I have without their allowing me to do so. I make it a point to visit their store whenever I have an opportunity to do so. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I live just west of Nashville. I have found Walter a pleasure to work with. He has been fair and upfront. Carter's has become my go to place to repair and consign. I so far have not pulled a trigger on buying, but have been very tempted. I have found that shop to be accommodating to my needs and to really go out of the way to be of service. Highly recommended.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I agree. Great store and very nice people.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Agree with all the above.
    I've visited, played, consigned, traded, and bought from Carter Vintage. Always happily.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Four Loars is amazing, as well as a phrase to test vowel sounds worthy of Henry Higgins.

But even more amazing to me is the fact that Carter's has THREE GILCHRIST OCTAVE MANDOLINS. Those who know me know I do not use all caps promiscuously. Until this point, I'd only ever *heard* of two Gilchrist OMs, and these guys have three at the same time, including one with this funky headstock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MN590-9.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	146056
    Anyone play any of those?

I'm very unlikely to make it to the USA in this lifetime, but if I do, now I know somewhere that goes top of the travel wishlist.

Was there two years ago and couldn't have asked for a better time. Walter was kind enough to let a rookie like myself pick a few on the Loars. Top notch folks with and an amazing selection. Hope to get back soon.

Blog Entries

I was there this time last year. The best "Gibsun" I played in the high end room was a (clearly marked) fake. I forget who made it but, as I recall, it was a mid '70s instrument and sounded great.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Just looked at their inventory. Wow, a regular millionaire's playground.

So many high-end items to choose from. I might pick out this unique item, a ten-string Monteleone.

Name:	mando-monteleone10.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	146061

http://www.cartervintage.com/mandopa...age.html#mon10

While in Nashville for Mando Camp, we all went to Carter's to sample the goods and hear the instructor's concerts. Awesome place and great folks. My friend Robin and I went into the high end room and while Mike Compton and David Grier were warming up, we tried all the beauties hanging on the wall. Robin then asked Walter if he could play the Loar behind the glass. He unlocked the case, handed him the $180,000 mandolin and, walked away. We both played it and while we found it to be a fine mandolin, it really proved to me that it's the player who brings the instrument to life not the other way around.

For those of you contemplating attending Megan and Adam's mandolin camp, I highly recommend it. The experiences are amazing and the people you meet, attendees, instructors, and people like those at Carter, make it worth every cent.

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	146062

Name:	IMG_0436.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	146067

Name:	IMG_0449.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	146063

Name:	IMG_0461.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	146071

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	146064

Name:	IMG_0432.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	146066
    2009 Ellis A
    2015 Weber Yellowstone 2-Point Octave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1952 Martin A Oval
    1912 Martin Bowlback
    1915 Washburn Bowlback
    1910's Lyon and Healy Bowlback
    3-1900's European Bowlback's

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3rdegree For This Useful Post:

How 'bout their Steve Earle collection. Only two mandolin family though. Nice Nyberg cittern.

http://www.cartervintage.com/steveearle/steveearle.html