Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    552

    Default Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    I've had my new baby, Red Diamond #190, one of his vintage 1922 "Crusher" voiced F5, for about a month now and all I can say is that Don MacRostie's reputation for nailing his Loar voicings is incredibly well deserved and if anything may not be talked about enough.

    As someone who literally grew up with the Garcia/Grisman records as his first mandolin recordings, the way he captured the essence of that Loar's tone is simply uncanny. Huge sound, but more importantly even all across the strings and up and down the fretboard - the 12th to 15th frets on the high E string have all the projection and fullness of the first five frets on the low D and G, which is so rare. While some of the very small fit and finish details aren't as meticulous as some other makers, it's still a 9/10 or better in that area as well. Pronounce MAS cured for the foreseeable future - this is a lifetime instrument.

    Here's a couple pics, and a short little video in the link below:

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BE72Ot5k0eV

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11363736_1770876319801023_975557650_n(1).jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	146017

  2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Gunning For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Purveyor of Sunshine sgarrity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,278

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Sounds great! Don makes a fine mandolin.

  4. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:


  5. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ithaca new york
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gunning View Post
    I've had my new baby, Red Diamond #190, one of his vintage 1922 "Crusher" voiced F5, for about a month now and all I can say is that Don MacRostie's reputation for nailing his Loar voicings is incredibly well deserved and if anything may not be talked about enough.

    As someone who literally grew up with the Garcia/Grisman records as his first mandolin recordings, the way he captured the essence of that Loar's tone is simply uncanny. Huge sound, but more importantly even all across the strings and up and down the fretboard - the 12th to 15th frets on the high E string have all the projection and fullness of the first five frets on the low D and G, which is so rare. While some of the very small fit and finish details aren't as meticulous as some other makers, it's still a 9/10 or better in that area as well. Pronounce MAS cured for the foreseeable future - this is a lifetime instrument.

    Here's a couple pics, and a short little video in the link below:



    https://www.instagram.com/p/BE72Ot5k0eV

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11363736_1770876319801023_975557650_n(1).jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	146017


    Your RD is a true tone monster! Play it in good health

  6. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:


  7. #4

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Love it, Patrick, sounds fantastic...enjoy!
    Let's get 'em together sometime...

  8. The following members say thank you to PVia for this post:


  9. #5
    F5G & MD305 Astro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Wow, love that deep rich mellow tone. And your playing and tune are fantastic ! What year was yours made?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

  10. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:


  11. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,121

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Lovely instrument and tune. I twinned you on the A part, did you hear it?

  12. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:


  13. #7

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Nice tune, inspired by your new baby
    Play in good health and congrats!

  14. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:


  15. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Wow, great playing. And that Red Diamond sounds incredible!!!!

  16. The following members say thank you to bbaker2050 for this post:


  17. #9

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Congratulations on your Red Diamond. Great playing. Great sound. I have a July 9, 23 voiced Red Diamond. Fabulous instrument.

  18. The following members say thank you to Winfield for this post:


  19. #10
    Registered User Barry Platnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    402

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Great tune and great sounding mandolin! I lust after one of those.
    Barry

  20. The following members say thank you to Barry Platnick for this post:


  21. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Wow, love that deep rich mellow tone. And your playing and tune are fantastic ! What year was yours made?
    This one was made August 4, 2008.

    Thanks for the kind words everybody!

  22. The following members say thank you to Patrick Gunning for this post:

    Astro 

  23. #12
    Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,213
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    I visited Carter's a couple of weeks ago and had my first opportunity to play a Red Diamond mandolin. It was a Vintage A model instrument. It was truly a fine mandolin with great tone playability workmanship and materials. I was deeply impressed with the Macrostie instrument. I expect you are justifiably pleased with yours. Enjoy.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

  24. #13
    Troy Shellhamer 9lbShellhamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Conway, NH
    Posts
    883

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Wow. Impressive and inspiring playing, and yes, the mando sounds awesome!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18

  25. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Fantastic mandolin. I love the color. It just looks "right" to me. One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how well Red Diamonds play. Every one I have had my hands played just as well as they sounded. Congrats to you!
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

  26. #15
    Registered User JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Is Don M. still building the "Vintage 22" model?
    John A. Karsemeyer

  27. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Quote Originally Posted by goose 2 View Post
    Fantastic mandolin. I love the color. It just looks "right" to me. One thing that doesn't get mentioned often is how well Red Diamonds play. Every one I have had my hands played just as well as they sounded. Congrats to you!
    Second the notion about playability - this is the best playing and intonating flat board mandolin I've ever played.

    Is Don M. still building the "Vintage 22" model?
    His spec builds these days seem to be his "July 9" model which he described in a wonderful interview that was posted on the cafe a while back as his Vintage 22 voicing "on steroids." I played a July 9 voicing of another SoCal Red Diamond player and it was fantastic (in fact, it inspired me to buy this one sight unseen). I'd imagine if you ordered a Vintage 22 voicing specifically he could do it but Don and I haven't ever really spoken so I have no idea actually...

  28. #17
    Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    826

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    I play an RD for the first time the other day. It was an early 2000's made for and owned by David Grisman (for a short time). It was finished in grey burst and although I didn't care for the color, it sounded amazing! I'd own one any day!
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2013 Gibson "Basketcase" AJ

  29. #18
    Bob Remington
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    I play an RD for the first time the other day. It was an early 2000's made for and owned by David Grisman (for a short time). It was finished in grey burst and although I didn't care for the color, it sounded amazing! I'd own one any day!
    I have this RD on consignment. It is No. 132 and I love it, but sadly must part with it. Glad you had a chance to play it.

  30. #19
    perpetual beginner... jmagill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Quote Originally Posted by bobrem View Post
    I have this RD on consignment.
    Where?

  31. #20
    Innocent Bystander JeffD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    23,153
    Blog Entries
    52

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Patrick what a great tune!
    Indulge responsibly!

    The entire staff
    funny....

  32. #21

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Beautiful mandolin, nicely played. No wonder you are happy.

  33. #22
    Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    826

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Quote Originally Posted by bobrem View Post
    I have this RD on consignment. It is No. 132 and I love it, but sadly must part with it. Glad you had a chance to play it.
    It really was a delight to play! I spent more time on it than Byron's Gilchrist, and that's also a killer F5. I just loved the woof it had.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2013 Gibson "Basketcase" AJ

  34. #23
    Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,589

    Default Re: Loving my Red Diamond "Vintage '22" F5

    Great tone and great playing. Thanks for sharing that!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •