Thread: unpleasant "aftertaste" on a Rogue

Default unpleasant "aftertaste" on a Rogue

I have a Rogue mandolin – the inexpensive one that comes as part of the mandolin / guitar two-fer deal. It’s an endearing little sprite of a thing that’s easy to fret and, initially, sounds okay. But it has this feature that’s a touch problematic:

I’ll play a tune (either a series of single notes arranged in a melody or 4 notes in a chord) and, rather than sustain the note(s) I just played, it’ll sustain other ones that sound like someone just slammed, broadside, into a piano… a bunch of notes coming out all together in a terrible metallic cacophony. If it were a meal instead of a musical instrument, I’d say it tasted alright initially, but left an unpalatable bitter aftertaste.

Any thoughts on how to address this cacophony?

A little background: I've played viola for years. Traded it in for a couple mandolas (a Hora and a Coombe) that sustain notes without the weird metallic nastiness. Obviously, Coombe > Hora > Rogue. But I'd still like to see if I can get this little Rogue to play alright.

Default Re: unpleasant "aftertaste" on a Rogue

It sounds to me like you're getting some sympathetic vibrations behind the bridge. Try muting them with your hand and playing a note and see if that kills the sound. If that's the cause, you can fix it with a leather boot lace for about $3. Just weave it between each string and it will dampen those.

There are more expensive options, but I like the asthetic of the cheap boot lace.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Most likely it's the string extensions between the bridge and tailpiece. That's why you often see:
    - felt under the tailpiece cover or on the lip of the TP base,
    - 2" of leather wound thru the string tails, or,
    - 4 small rubber (electrical) grommets inserted between the 4 pairs of strings down there.

The felt strip is the only one that commonly comes from the builder, and not normally on lower-end ones. My Rover didn't. (Come to think of it... nor did anything else!)

Grommets are cheap and look interesting, but often get lost when a string breaks.

Or, as some endorse, you could rest the heel of your picking hand lightly just behind the bridge.

Edit: Whoops... Typing while KEB posted!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

The string will vibrate from the bridge to the tailpiece and from the nut to the tuners and will produce unwanted tones. Small grommets will do the trick behind the bridge, one for each pair of courses and sticky felt works well for the head stock. Cut the felt to width, cut a section and roll it onto itself until it will fill the space. The sticky in on the inside, place under the strings.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=meldrum

For when you want to dial that Rogue in a bit more.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Quote Originally Posted by KEB View Post
    you can fix it with a leather boot lace for about $3. Just weave it between each string and it will dampen those.

There are more expensive options, but I like the asthetic of the cheap boot lace.
    I guess I haven't bought a boot lace in a while. $3 sounds kinda expensive to me! (for what it is...)

I usually have folks roll up a hundred dollar bill and lace it between the strings behind the bridge. If the sympathetic notes go away then they are free to mail me the hundred dollar bill for solving their problem. You can lace cloth, leather whatever between the bridge and the tailpiece and it will dampen those notes. The Gibson mandolins come with a piece of leather or felt depending on the age under the strings at the tailpiece that accomplishes the same thing.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Confused... or?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ... $3 sounds kinda expensive to me!
    Yeah but... Based on boot size, you get enough leather to treat maybe 40 mandolins. That's 320 strings! And if you apply that across the number of vibrations actually suppressed, they're almost giving 'em away!

But I'm liking the $100 bill approach...
    - Ed

- Ian Tyson

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you can do the same thing with a $20 bill. You can message me for my address.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

10. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you can do the same thing with a $20 bill. You can message me for my address.
    Sure, you know what your advice is worth
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks All. I didn't have the right materials at hand last night, so I wove a sock through the strings between the bridge and tailpiece. It did cut down on the unpleasant noise, though not entirely.

I'm hoping that the results suggest that we're on the right track and the cotton/poly blend was not quite the right material for the job. I also may need to weave differently. Given the sock thickness, I ended up going up and down between the pairs of strings; ie, sock went over both G's, under both D's, over both A's...

I'll have to try again over the weekend with either the electrical grommets or leather. If I go with the leather, would it be more correct to go over one G, under the next G, over D, under D, over A, etc... instead of them paired like with the sock?

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Yeah but... Based on boot size, you get enough leather to treat maybe 40 mandolins. That's 320 strings! And if you apply that across the number of vibrations actually suppressed, they're almost giving 'em away!

But I'm liking the $100 bill approach...
    When you break it down that way it does sound quite reasonable!

I used to use $100 bills to light my cigars, but I had to give it up because I was spilling ashes all over my diamond pinky rings.............

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    I'll have to try again over the weekend with either the electrical grommets or leather. If I go with the leather, would it be more correct to go over one G, under the next G, over D, under D, over A, etc... instead of them paired like with the sock?
    That's the way I do it-- if you're hurting for $3.00, send me your mailing address and I'll send you a 3 inch segment of boot lace-- I've got a couple leftover feet from doing this myself

Confused... or?

Quote Originally Posted by Viola View Post
    ... would it be more correct to go over one G, under the next G, over D, under D, over A, etc...
    Main consideration: Whatever works! Next most important: Whatever's not real ugly. And also: Whatever doesn't fall out too easily.

Getting it between the paired courses (as with the grommets) is probably a good idea. Generally, a 2"+ piece should be long enough and not so ominous/obvious as to draw attention.

Come to think if I were doing it, I'd try starting with: up between the G's, down between the D's, up between the A's, ... Of course, YMMV!
    - Ed

- Ian Tyson

All good suggestions. You might also make sure the screws holding together the pick guard are tight. They can rattle.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Are you going to send the sock to mike?

19. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

If here is still some sympathetic sound after damping below the bridge you might try similar damping above the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Are you going to send the sock to mike?
    Didn't have a chance to pick up supplies over the weekend. So hanging on to the sock for now A real thing of beauty.

I picked up a leather boot lace at goodwill for .99! 72" of awesome. Going to make a really simple strap.