Thread: Ceccherini

Default Ceccherini

Don't know whether I'm allowed to post this, but I've just reduced the price of my vintage Ceccherini in classifieds, originally posted March 22. Someone should be able to give it a good home! Ad #96530
    Eastman 504, Eastman 305, Grafton P-200 open back mandolin banjo

Default Re: Ceccherini

I would be sorely tempted if I didn't already have one. I was at a gathering the weekend before last and my Ceccerhini was the mandolin I really liked -it got praise from the much more accomplished player I lent it to as well- and there were some much more upmarket bowlbacks there.

Maybe I'm just weird though -the other mandolin I really liked was an Otwin flatback with Thomastiks on it.

I did covet the most expensive mandola though A Sobell.

Terry, in my opinion, your Ceccherini price is more than reasonable, given that the mandolin was repaired and set up by Tavy.
    Unfortunately, the market for vintage bowlback mandolins is very small, and it is dominated by a large number of generally overpriced derelict and barn find low-grade instruments for sale which seem to appeal to many buyers as they feel they are getting a deal. (When we buy defective/broken merchandise, we like to believe it's priced low accordingly, right ?)

Good luck with your sale.
    Bona fide dilettante

Ceccherini bowlbacks have a distinctive chime-like tonality that is all their own, and delightful. In good repair and well set up, yours is certainly worth the asking. It is to be hoped that someone who wants a fine Italian mandolin will snap it up.

The market is slow, but the quality is there.