Thread: Loar type adjustable to Brekke?

Default Loar type adjustable to Brekke?

Who here has tried replacing a Loar type adjustable bridge with a Brekke traditional (the one with the wedges)bridge especially on a modern build? I would be very interested in your thoughts on any changes in tone, volume, sustain good or bad. Thanks.
    Lennie Lowery
    Kentucky KM-1500
    The Loar LM-700
    J Bovier A5 Special
    MK Dragonfly Flame Custom

Default Re: Loar type adjustable to Brekke?

I'm certainly no mando expert, just one of those people that likes to "fine tune" and experiment.

A few years ago I tried an original Brekke bridge(wedge adjustment) as a replacement on my Flatiron Master model F5. Was not pleased with the change as the A and E strings lost some clarity and volume. Ended up with a Cumberland full contact Loar style and I'm very pleased with the results.

I've also changed the original Brekke (wrench adjustment with the brass bar) bridge that came on my Weber Fern A model to a Cumberland full contact bridge. Again, to me it has better volume and clarity on the A and E strings.
    1992 Flatiron F5 Master model
    2009 Weber A model Fern
    2011 Collings MT mandola
    1985 Flatiron 2M

Me experience is swapping the original Brekke bridge with the brass reinforced saddle that came on my 2010 Weber Yellowstone with the Brekke traditional with the wedges. I was intrigued by the thought of an essentially all wood connection from string to top. IMHO I was able to get a more than adequate fit between the bridge and the top so I feel the installation was not an issue. That said I eventually went back to the Brekke that was originally shipped with the Yellowstone. I was and still am very happy with the sound of the Yellowstone with the Brekke bridge that it came with. The Brekke traditional, not so much. I prefer the clarity or definition of the sound from the brass reinforced Brekke bridge.
    Obviously your impressions may be different and you will never know if you don't give it a try. The price of the Brekke bridge is not outrageous so I recommend you give it a go.

My .02 worth.

Thanks jedennis. I also am running Cumberland bridges on 2 of my mandolins. I was just curious as to other's experiences with the Brekke wedge type bridges as I have never owned one. Thanks for your info. BTW, quite a nice herd you have there.
    Lennie Lowery
    Kentucky KM-1500
    The Loar LM-700
    J Bovier A5 Special

Lloving, you have the terminology backwards. The Original Brekke bridge is the one with the wedges, while the Traditional Brekke bridge is the one with the metal insert.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Mandolin & Mandola maker

You can modifiy the original Brekke bridge and the modifications greatly improve the sound on most mandolins, especially the treble. See -
    http://www.petercoombe.com/jaamim4.html
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Don't know about replacing a Loar era adjustable…. but I just replaced the original one-piece on my 1919 A2 with one of Vern's new bridges. [needed to deal with a bit of "old age sinkage". Some of you guys are familiar with that I'm sure]

Did the trick, did not change the personality at all… great tone!

Sorry folks. I am the one that originally mixed up the terminology calling the "Original" the "Traditional". Multidon you are 100% right on that. Thanks to everyone that responded. I am perfectly satisfied with my Cumberland Acoustic bridges and if I were looking to buy would purchase another CA. I was just curious as to other's experience with this particular bridge.
    Lennie Lowery
    Kentucky KM-1500
    The Loar LM-700
    J Bovier A5 Special

Sure did, but you get my drift.

Thanks

My Weber Bitterroot came with a Brekke Original bridge (wood wedges), and I eventually replaced it with a Brekke Traditional bridge (metal cross piece supporting a wood saddlepiece). I liked the sound of the Traditonal bridge better, and it was also a bit louder, which mattered a lot to me.